Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread Reply with quote

The annual health and fitness tread, for discussing sports and health and fitness related goals.

I'm going to start the year with steady 10k run to shake off the nights revelries.

Other goals for 2018 include smashing a half marathon, hopefully in under 2:30, and doing the local sprint triathlon in under 60mins

My aim for January is to settle into a regular routine of running, swimming and cycling.

Last edited by duhawkz on 13:47 - 06 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to start racing again 2018 following a 2017 mired by injury. Foot, then ankle then back.

I'm starting to see a little pace returning, and have around 3-4kg to lose to get back down to my normal "race" weight.

We'll see how we go. Got fresh road trainers for Christmas, and fresh trail shoes on the way. Would also like to go faster on the bike this year and contemplate a triathlon, but we will see.

Cutting down on the booze is also on the list. Wish we luck.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting a bike. Need to get my lazy arse into gear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got new trainers and I'm ready to start up running again in a couple of weeks. Its my aim to lose a bit of weight but generally improve my stamina and tone up my legs/bum but mostly I want to enter a race and get some sort of medal! I'm going to mix in some swimming in the evenings after work.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost 52lb last year, last weight myself in early November. Stood on the scales this morning, managed to put 15lb back on it that time. Shit.
I found the best thing for me was walking, so I'll have a few weeks of that and see where I am.
I tried to get into running but kept getting crippling stitches in the exact same place every time. Google tells me it's kidney stones, I'm really hoping it's not.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:21 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing OK in my 2017 health and fitness goals until I started a new job in May. Then I still kept up exercise, and semi healthy eating but my weight increased by a few pounds and stayed there. With holidays and Christmas I've put on a stone since April 2017. I'm still lighter than I was this time last year though, so I'm hoping the January-April lull in social events will allow me to lose it all again. I was down to about 11% body fat at one stage... and I hope to be there or thereabouts again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tread lightly. Very Happy

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I was down to about 11% body fat at one stage... and I hope to be there or thereabouts again.

I'm aiming to get my body fat % down too, I'd got it down to about 15% toward November and my weight was down too, then December happened and I ate and drank lots of bad things and they're both up again.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:48 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo yo weight is easy. Keeping it off for years is the holy grail! Anyone managed that? Lost 4 stone 7 years ago. At the moment am still 3 stone less so not really yo yo - more slight slippage with me. Have run 2 miles every day since I was 65. 3 years on I still wrestle with the weight, mainly cos I don't drink any more but do like sweet stuff. Dieting is easy - just don't eat much for a while. Hard bit is maintaining the weight when you reach your goal. Hats off to those who lose weight whilst working. I had a stressful job and drank/stuffed to deaden the pain. Being retired makes it easier but having a lot of hours to fill each day does bring it's own temptations! I'll say one thing, I'm healthier and fitter pushing 70 than I was in my 40's......although don't look so good in the mirror! Wink

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed up to do the Moon Walk in London in May with some people from work. Its either 26 miles or 13 miles overnight and the general consensus was to do the shorter distance as that might be better for some members of the team.

Now I have a reason to get fitter!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, 26 miles is a nice distance to walk. TBH I'd find it a challenge right now, and would have to train for about 12 weeks I should think.

There was a time, about 4 years ago, where walking 13 miles was nothing at all to me. I'd often walk 30 or more when training Laughing

I did a 65 mile charity walk, all the bumph told me not to do it on my own, to be in a team, not to go alone (though not forbidden) but actually all the early finishers were singletons, I saw facebook posts about teams dropping out a couple of checkpoints from the end because "they started as a team, and if they couldn't all finish..."

So maybe wise to choose 13 miles, but like any endurance challenge it's as much mental as it is physical, and if you've got some team members wavering, be the positive force, and if they drop out, make sure they are safe.... and leave them! Very Happy

So first proper run for me today, since I've been off with an injury in Oct. Only dd 3 miles in about 25 mins, didn't die, got the last knockings of a chest infection so coughed a bit later on.

Restarted the 100 press up challenge, I'm onto 80 strict form in sets right now. Doubt I'll ever do 100, but 50 in one set will be nice, personal best is 45.

Back to lifting 50kilos over my head, should get a personal best of 60 this year I hope.

Best improvement has come from doing dips and pull ups, dip stand best thing I bought I think. Pull ups are incline with straps, rather than straight up and down, can only do a few normal ones still.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:59 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been almost a year now since I started to make changes. Last January I was 18st 12.5lbs (6ft tall). I'm now sitting at 13st 12lbs which was a bit lower before the Christmas temporary relapse.
While it would have been nice to get 6st within the year, it's a soft deadline. Getting 6st is more ultimately important to me (and my health), whether it comes in January, February or whatever.

I've just bought some waterproof earphones so I can go swimming more frequently while the shit weather keeps putting me off cycling, and I'll continue doing Slimming World until I hit my goal.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
So maybe wise to choose 13 miles, but like any endurance challenge it's as much mental as it is physical, and if you've got some team members wavering, be the positive force, and if they drop out, make sure they are safe.... and leave them! Very Happy

Harsh but fair advice, I think! If its me that lets the team down then I would hope that they carried on without me. It is a charity thing and for a charity that I already support so I am determined to get to the end.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperami is going back to training from Monday Thumbs Up
I’m at six’s and sevens as to what to continue with?

I’ll definitely keep the Krav Maga going.
I want to get a bit of swimming in my fitness agenda, but swimming on your own is a bit sad and could be seen by some as a bit odd.

Karate or boxing? Hmm? I think I might be getting a bit to old for this Crying or Very sad
Pilates it is then!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about swimming, I'm not very good at it, and feel too self conscious in a public pool. Private gyms are okay, but I'm not joining one just cos they have a pool, it just doesn't seem such an issue using the pool in a private gym.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is swimming on your own a bit sad?

You can't do decent amounts of lengths with some soppy herbert banging on in your ear about the fight in the pub last night in the lane next to you: neither of you would get proper lengths done.

I reckon swimming is best done on your own.
And not at all sad.

I really should do it more often.
Rolling Eyes

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Why is swimming on your own a bit sad?

You can't do decent amounts of lengths with some soppy herbert banging on in your ear about the fight in the pub last night in the lane next to you: neither of you would get proper lengths done.

I reckon swimming is best done on your own.
And not at all sad.

I really should do it more often.
Rolling Eyes

You could go to a pool and swim on your own without anybody ever noticing cos you are a girly.
Men in a pool on his own is more likely to mean someone waiting to interview you on your way out Crying or Very sad

As for some Herbert waffling on about last nights fight in the pub Shocked , I’d swim away at a great rate of knots Shocked Shocked .
A strange man in kit that really is just pants starts talking to me whilst I’m just in my pants Shocked I’m off! Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sept 2016 to May 2017 saw immense weight gain for me, after which I hoped my move to China would see a slow shedding of the weight as spicy food and a more active lifestyle took hold. Sadly the new job has me on my arse all day so the weight loss has been slow. Air pollution surely has blackened my lungs a bit too.

Currently nearing the end of a 5 week visit back home in the UK where, apart from a definite clearing of the lungs, I've been making a special effort to take the dogs out every other day on a 12km yomp through the pretty horrid terrain around here. Runkeeper puts it at about 1000kcal a time but I reckon it's more, given the amount of mud and fields I have to squidge through.

Seems to be working. I now have almost visible abs again... if I tense up Laughing.

NHS BMI calculator tells me I need to lose 5kg Shocked before I'm in the green again. Anyone know what it takes to shed that much?

I'm flying back to China in 2 days and can't afford a gym membership right now (and sod strenuous exercise in that air pollution), so dunno what I'll do now. Should probably start 'dieting', but my method for weight loss has always been to up the exercise, rather than just eating salads every day.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

You could go to a pool and swim on your own without anybody ever noticing cos you are a girly.
Men in a pool on his own is more likely to mean someone waiting to interview you on your way out Crying or Very sad

As for some Herbert waffling on about last nights fight in the pub Shocked , I’d swim away at a great rate of knots Shocked Shocked .
A strange man in kit that really is just pants starts talking to me whilst I’m just in my pants Shocked I’m off! Laughing

Arsebabble, I mostly go swimming on my own nobody has ever once batted an eyelid.

I do however actively avoid going during peak times, mainly because the pool is too busy to swim proprer lengths.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bike.
Took it out for a spin.
I knew I was unfit but really shocked to discover just how much.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Got the bike.
Took it out for a spin.
I knew I was unfit but really shocked to discover just how much.

Next thing you know, you'll be chasing segments on strava.

This last weeks have been a bit shit for me, I hurt my leg running on new years day, and I've been struggling to walk on it, so I'm have to rest it, even missed the Parkrun on Saturday for the first time in ages, I'm hoping I'll be back in action next week, if not I'm going to have to seek medical attention Crying or Very sad

I trying to watch what I eat a bit more since Christmas has finished, no more sweet stuff or snacking in between meals. I might even start logging my calorie intake in myfatnesspal again.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Friday I thought I was really unfit, I struggled to get home, then I realised I was just slaughtered, my fitness goals mostly involve fitness beer in my stomach, and pizza
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't lift 50 kilos up yesterday, could dead lift it, but couldn't get it into position to push it over my head, adjusted squat rack and sqautted it up to the point and couldn't pick it up

lesson learned, rest days are for a reason

ran again today, no real problems, hope to rejoin my running club tomorrow night for their 1st anniversary run.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
fitness beer

Smile I want some of that Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Next thing you know, you'll be chasing segments on strava.

Spooky.
Bloke at work was telling me about this today.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29