Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Named driver insurance question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:23 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Named driver insurance question Reply with quote

I'm the main driver/rider on 2 insurance policies: Bike and personal car.
Never made any insurance claims.

In addition, I am a named driver on my grandmother-in-law's car.
When we ran a quote for her, it came back far cheaper with me on as a named driver.
I have occasionally driven her car, taking it to the garage, test drive to diagnose a funny noise etc.

What I'm not sure of is whether there is any potential impact on my insurance costs if GMIL has an accident or makes a claim.
My fully comp would be fine for the small amount of driving I do in her car, so the real benefit is the lower cost for her.

If she has to claim, does it count against me on my other policies?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Named driver insurance question Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
I'm the main driver/rider on 2 insurance policies: Bike and personal car.
Never made any insurance claims.

In addition, I am a named driver on my grandmother-in-law's car.
When we ran a quote for her, it came back far cheaper with me on as a named driver.
I have occasionally driven her car, taking it to the garage, test drive to diagnose a funny noise etc.

What I'm not sure of is whether there is any potential impact on my insurance costs if GMIL has an accident or makes a claim.
My fully comp would be fine for the small amount of driving I do in her car, so the real benefit is the lower cost for her.

If she has to claim, does it count against me on my other policies?

Short answer, no.

Her claiming would not affect your insurance, unless it was you that was driving, which would then (technically) give you an accident to declare to your own insurers.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man there ^ has it bang on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I hoped to hear, but wouldn't have been surprised if they had it rigged to be "Guilty by association".

GMIL continues to get her cheaper insurance. Laughing

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above, it's not your policy to claim on so won't affect you if she prangs it.

I used to put my mother in law on our car when the wife and I were first married, she was 21 I was 25 so insurance was fairly steep, adding MIL reduced it by £100. No kittens killed, no worries, as far as I'm aware she only drove it once in the 3 years we did this for!

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever have to claim on your own policy, your GMIL will have to declare that to her insurers at renewal time, at which point it may be financially to her advantage to take you back off again. In the meantime, no issues.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:14 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
If you ever have to claim on your own policy, your GMIL will have to declare that to her insurers at renewal time, at which point it may be financially to her advantage to take you back off again. In the meantime, no issues.

Good point, I hadn't considered that.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

Good point, I hadn't considered that.

something that can be sorted at the time. you only declare 'incidents' at renewal anyway so you'd just choose to not put you on the insurance, if asked why "not needed anymore"

might at that point be cheaper to put your mrs on granny's insurance, might not.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1