Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Beware!! who gets the blame if an autonomous vehicle knocks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Beware!! who gets the blame if an autonomous vehicle knocks Reply with quote

... you off

Can see the same apportioning of blame coming our way in the UK as well ..

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/driverless-car-collides-motorcycle-%E2%80%93-and-rider-blamed

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, although the way I read it, the car started to move into another lane, but then, reversed it's decision and moved back into it's current lane..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:08 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it from an individual Dibble's point of view: are they going to want to be the first to try and drag an algorithm into court?

Far easier to finger the meatsack, especially if it's a filtering biker.

At a meta level, there will be political pressure encouragement to give robocar a free pass because Progress. When the Legitimate Businessmen's Robobus had a prang in Las Vegas recently, I don't think there was much doubt who was getting handed a spade and told to start walking into the desert.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:16 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the decision would have been the same had it been a meatsack driver TBH. It's not a precedent as such, and it certainly doesn't mean we should go all 'Chicken Little' over here in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

krl
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:22 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little crash here or there will be the least of our worries with this "robots taking over".
We are all fcked.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Probably, although the way I read it, the car started to move into another lane, but then, reversed it's decision and moved back into it's current lane..

The crux of it seems to be the lane splitting, though.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rider lost because no paint diagram

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:29 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in this country, certainly in a non-autonamous vehicle, if a vehicle signalled and started to change lane then aborted the manouver and swerved back in causing a crash, the driver would be guilty of driving without due care and attention. Both for the initial manouver they aborted AND for the resulting swerve.

The way the law works in the US, I suspect the result would have been the same had the autonamous vehicle been manned. The presumption is against the filtering motorcycle and careless, random lane-swapping is the norm, as is passing on both sides. Filtering is still barely tolerated and even then only in 1 out of 52 states. In some states, if you deliberately swiped a filtering bike off the road, the police would tell you you did the right thing.

In short. I don't think it was anything to do with it being an autonamous vehicle. The result would have been the same in a manned vehicle and equally, would have been different here.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:39 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It's not a precedent as such

Sure, it'll be decades before robots completely take over bike-mashing duties from Extreme Rescue Ltd.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I think in this country, certainly in a non-autonamous vehicle, if a vehicle signalled and started to change lane then aborted the manouver and swerved back in causing a crash, the driver would be guilty of driving without due care and attention. Both for the initial manouver they aborted AND for the resulting swerve.

The way the law works in the US, I suspect the result would have been the same had the autonamous vehicle been manned. The presumption is against the filtering motorcycle and careless, random lane-swapping is the norm, as is passing on both sides. Filtering is still barely tolerated and even then only in 1 out of 52 states. In some states, if you deliberately swiped a filtering bike off the road, the police would tell you you did the right thing.

In short. I don't think it was anything to do with it being an autonamous vehicle. The result would have been the same in a manned vehicle and equally, would have been different here.

∆∆∆ This.

SMIDSY is not a thing out here, where motorcyclists are concerned the acronym you are looking for would be IDGAF. Sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

∆∆∆ This.

SMIDSY is not a thing out here, where motorcyclists are concerned the acronym you are looking for would be IDGAF. Sad

Had a failbook trollol with a murcan dude a few weeks ago as one state or another were voting to legalise lane splitting and he was convinced it was a bad idea because it's horrible driving in California because you have to pay attention all the time. I'm gonna have to try to find his facebook profile picture later so that you can all see what an absolute toothless simpleton inbred he is, and indeed his family, are.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

. I'm gonna have to try to find his facebook profile picture later so that you can all see what an absolute toothless simpleton inbred he is, and indeed his family, are.

we have all seen bodyfucktards picture already

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:13 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
he was convinced it was a bad idea because it's horrible driving in California because you have to pay attention all the time.

You could have fooled me, given the number of wrecks that you can see littering the freeways.

Responsible road use is "buy a Prius" and defensive driving means "don't make eye contact with those cholo mofos."

Robocar makes sense in California. Not so much in Camden.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1