Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

rec me a laser printer for home use please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: rec me a laser printer for home use please Reply with quote

Eh up guys - please recommend me a laser printer for home use. Or maybe A.N. Other kind of printer if you think my needs necessitate it.

Usage is primarily printing of Word docs and similar - so really a cheap shit ink jet should do. However it would be good if it was something a bit quicker, and one that didn't need rip off ink cartridges lobbing in it every month.

But then maybe toner is no cheaper for a laser printer - that's something else I haven't quite been able to suss out when using google to assess what I should and shouldn't buy.

Can laser printers also scan and copy too? And can they accept decent paper and thicker stuff like thin card? Can you get laser printers that can do mundane shit like text documents but also print decent photos? And what makes and budget?

Thinking of getting the mrs one for hexmas but eh. Googled reamed my mind when I tried to research it the other day. Need help guys. Sad

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Brother HL-4150cdn. It's an older printer, but it takes third party toner with no issues whatsoever - which was my main concern. You have to use an ethernet cable to plug it in to the router if you want it networked, but I don't particularly care about that.

It's been a damn good printer and it's more than paid for itself in the savings I've made on toner/ink.

There's no flashing fancy screens, no prettiness, it's just a stonking great ugly box that works Wink

*edit* it's shit for photos. Probably better off sending those off to a firm tbh. Ink prices for photo printing is just insane and most new printers will update themselves and break the cheap cartridge possibilities

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Brother user here. We don't print that much and were getting fed up with inkjet printers running through the cleaning cycle all the time, wasting tons of ink. With the laser it's just ready.

Went for wireless, can AirPrint from the phones and iPads as well as the lappies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL3150CDW-Colour-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00BJOA3TO
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a laser printer that's also a scanner. It's a Brother, can't remember the number will look in a bit. It uses a black cartridge only, had a tester cartridge included when bought that's still going! Printer gets used frequently but not daily.
The WiFi gets confused between 2 computers but we deal with that.
Would certainly buy another. Was on offer at Argos when bought. Have never tried photos in it, cos was bought for scanning and text type docs only. Prints a great barcode. Waterproof printing too. Tried it by running a tap over a label.
It's this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3574368

Paid less than that though.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from a HP laser to Epson EcoTank inkjet. Ink is cheap and refillable, speed is ok and quality is good. Will do photos in a pinch, blacks aren't as dark as they could be but otherwise good. The ink is so cheap you don't really think about it any more. Biggest downside is ink bleeds through a little bit too much on 80gsm paper to be good for duplex.

I had issues with the laser printer leaving vertical marks on the page towards the end. I blame third party cartridges, and they were still too expensive. Inkjet is cheaper - which sounds weird, but it is.

We - mostly my GF - print perhaps 6000 pages a year.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NE2HGW

Samsung Colour network laser printer... £99 quids.. Had one for about 3 years, works lovely.

Buy a separate scanner. Multi purpose stuff has to be cut right Down to price it well.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Samsung clp-320 when I started my degree in 2010. Wife is currently doing her masters and the printer is still going strong. Toner is 33quid for non oem set, each one lasts for ages (1000-1500 they reckon, I've never actually counted). Proper Samsung set is £115. Can't say I've ever noticed much difference in the quality. The drum is consumable, but with 7500 pages printed on it over 6years and a life of 25000, I reckon it'll last a good bit longer.

What it does really well is the sharpness of the print quality. Text especially looks fantastic. I printed my big degree pieces using decent paper and it looked professionally done. My coursemates who used ink printers looked considerably shabbier. Other than that, it's just a bog standard printer. It can sit idle for months, switch it on and it's ready to go. No dried up cartridges, blocked ink nozzles etc eta. Ill certainly never go back to an ink printer now.

The guys up there Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up have sold brother to me. When the Samsung bites the dust, I'll switch to them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP laserjet.

Because driver compatability.

I have a huge reconditioned network Dell 1720dn laser printer at home. Cost about £60 with a full toner cartidge. Does double sided and gets about 6000 pages per toner. Plugs into the router so all my devices can use it.

I'd get something similar next time but an HP laserjet so the drivers give more cross-platform compatability.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
HP laserjet.

Because driver compatability.

I have a huge reconditioned network Dell 1720dn laser printer at home. Cost about £60 with a full toner cartidge. Does double sided and gets about 6000 pages per toner. Plugs into the router so all my devices can use it.

I'd get something similar next time but an HP laserjet so the drivers give more cross-platform compatability.

Plenty of other manufacturers can use laserjet drivers, they do built in emulation - generally HP laserjet II-p works in loads of brother lasers. They all twigged legacy support was what the beancounters demanded so they didn't have to rehire the staff they'd already paid off.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:07 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Plenty of other manufacturers can use laserjet drivers, they do built in emulation - generally HP laserjet II-p works in loads of brother lasers. They all twigged legacy support was what the beancounters demanded so they didn't have to rehire the staff they'd already paid off.

Indeed. It's what I'm having to do to get my Dell printer to work with my debian box but it's not QUITE right, cocks up duplex printing sometimes.

Hence why I'd just go for a fully supported printer using the correct driver next time and the laserjet drivers seem to be available for pretty much every platform. I have devices accessing my network printer on variously debian, ubuntu, windows XP, android and windows 7. Dell only do specific drivers for the windows environments.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I hijack this thread please? Am suddenly in urgent need of a new printer myself as my ancient Laserjet 4 just appears to have expired (certainly isn't going to be worth fixing now.)

I want another laser job, for home office working (ball park usage average say 150 pages/week?). Almost all B&W printing (but wouldn't mind a colour machine for the occasional use if running costs not prohibitive).

I think I'm less fussed about the initial outlay than the cost of consumables. If I spend silly money on a set of full colour toner cartridges now, for only very occasional use, can I assume they'll last me effectively "forever"? Or do they 'go off' in the printer if unused?

Any brands/models etc to be wary of when it comes to toner costs? (This is all unknown and scary stuff to me, as I used to replace the cart in my late lamented LaserJet about once every two years, with OEM carts off eBay for about oh, £5 a pop...!)

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Dell C1760NW for over 3 years now, fantastic printer, still on the original toner somehow Shocked I got really fed up with inkjet printers as some times its months inbetween me printing stuff, but it's nice to know I can turn it on and print off 100 pages in one go. Only paid £90 for it as well. I still have a cheap inkjet around for use as a scanner when needed (was only £15 i think).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I got really fed up with inkjet printers as some times its months inbetween me printing stuff, but it's nice to know I can turn it on and print off 100 pages in one go. Only paid £90 for it as well. I still have a cheap inkjet around for use as a scanner when needed (was only £15 i think).

I need one as I just discovered my 12+ year old scanner isn't supported by Win' 10 Crying or Very sad That was my problem with inkjets, I got given one with empty cartridges, refilled them with a DIY kit that involved making a hole in the cartridge, by the next time I went to use it they were blocked Rolling Eyes

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I just discovered my 12+ year old scanner isn't supported by Win' 10

Yes one of my many bugbears with Win10 was the lack of backward compatibility and it has exactly the same problem with my scanner. I bought a new laptop last year, and specified that it was sold with Win 7, so all is well here on that front at least (I'm allowed to upgrade it to Win 10 if and when I ever want to).

Have you looked at using VueScan software on your current scanner? I'm told it's pretty good

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Have you looked at using VueScan software on your current scanner? I'm told it's pretty good

Yeah I saw that but it costs £30? Might as well get a new scanner for that.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been using a cheap Epson for about three years. It’s an inkjet but it prints, scans, emails and does WiFi. Cost around £30 to buy, plus a big pack of third party cartridges for about a tenner and it’s still going.
Prints a bit wonky and it’s a pain in the arse to scan, but does the job for home use.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Yeah I saw that but it costs £30? Might as well get a new scanner for that.

NAPS2 works pretty well and is free.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:10 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Brother DCP-L2500D which I bought for about £60 3 years ago. I print about 100 pages a week and a cartridge lasts about 6-8 months so call it between 2000 and 3000 pages. Genuine Brother replacements are about £50 I think.

Can't fault it, scans well and prints at a very good quality. No print variation, no smudging, nice clear images. Prints about 30 double sided pages a minute I'd guess. Also quiet enough to sit under my desk without being annoying. I left it sat in a box all last year when I was on placement, pulled it out in September and it printed straight away. No faffing with cleaning, no software updates, just plug and print. Black and white only mind.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I think I'm less fussed about the initial outlay than the cost of consumables. If I spend silly money on a set of full colour toner cartridges now, for only very occasional use, can I assume they'll last me effectively "forever"? Or do they 'go off' in the printer if unused?

I'm pretty sure it's fairly indefinite - I have an old Samsung laser printer (CLX-3185 - MFP type of affair) - that's the main reason I ditched the inkjet, I didn't/don't care about photo printing, and I didn't want the inks drying out between uses (my old Epson inkjet was fucking terrible for that) - I just wanted mainly greyscale printing, with the option of colour, and something that would sit on my network. It's using compatible toners at the moment, and they've been in there for a good two years with relatively low usage - no problems with occasional printing.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Just gave it a go and kept on getting a scanner not found message Crying or Very sad

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

Just gave it a go and kept on getting a scanner not found message Crying or Very sad

Network or usb?
Network, reboot the router.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
M.C wrote:

Network or usb?
Network, reboot the router.

USB.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

USB.

If directly plugged in and not in a hub, try another cable otherwise sounds like drivers.

Have you looked on the manufacturers site for anything?
There was a lot of pain when Win10 was rolled out, a lot of device drivers were absorbed into the OS but some older devices were dropped and will need new drivers.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Have you looked on the manufacturers site for anything?

It's so old they don't even acknowledge its existence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2