BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RFID & credit cards

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it happened to me but a few weeks back my card had been used for a contactless payment in Hertfordshire 250+ miles from where I had been working that day. It was only £1 but I got them to cancel the card straight away, not taking any chances the next transaction could have been for hundreds. The Indian fraud lady didn't even want to cancel the card she said people make accidental contactless payments frequently Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Can't you use your contact card directly on the Oyster readers now?

Yep, apparently it's the future. It'll be the end to anonymous travel though, well semi-anonymous travel (and only if you use an unregistered oyster card).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Can't you use your contact card directly on the Oyster readers now?

Yep, apparently it's the future. It'll be the end to anonymous travel though, well semi-anonymous travel (and only if you use an unregistered oyster card).

You can't use cash at all on London transport now I think, well except to purchase a ticket if you can find an open ticket booth.

It is the future, like it or not. I get given £200 cash at the beginning of the month from my daughter towards the bills and I hardly ever have to take cash out during the month, that easily lasts me. I hate to say it but I've become really used to contactless, use it to pay for just about any little purchase now. The only place I seem to use cash regularly is the pub.

I wonder which country will be the first to bite the bullet and go cashless? Is it even feasible yet?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled up in a car park today, i haven't used it for a few months it used to be pay and display, now it gone entirely cashless, you now have to phone up and pay over the phone or use an app.

It wasn't to much of a big deal for me but I did wonder how some old folk who don't have mobile phones moght go on.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 31 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You can't use cash at all on London transport now I think, well except to purchase a ticket if you can find an open ticket booth.

It is the future, like it or not. I get given £200 cash at the beginning of the month from my daughter towards the bills and I hardly ever have to take cash out during the month, that easily lasts me. I hate to say it but I've become really used to contactless, use it to pay for just about any little purchase now. The only place I seem to use cash regularly is the pub.

I wonder which country will be the first to bite the bullet and go cashless? Is it even feasible yet?

Nope. They kept massively inflating cash prices to get everyone to switch to oyster, then scraped cash altogether, although now oyster costs more than the old cash prices when they were introduced Rolling Eyes It has totally ruined the game of pretending you didn't know about the fare increases (for 2 months afterwards) and seeing if the driver would let you off Very Happy

When we go cashless they own you Sad

duhawkz wrote:
I pulled up in a car park today, i haven't used it for a few months it used to be pay and display, now it gone entirely cashless, you now have to phone up and pay over the phone or use an app.

It wasn't to much of a big deal for me but I did wonder how some old folk who don't have mobile phones moght go on.

https://youtu.be/5GFNxvauy28?t=5m10s Laughing

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It'll be the end to anonymous travel

You're thinking inside two boxes. You'd only be travelling anonymously on a vehicle that's riddled with CCTV and as far as I'm aware, Oyster cards are only a thing in that London.

duhawkz wrote:

I'd be in trouble, I got diddled last year when I manged to sign up for mucky texts on my 4G router. Since then I've blocked all payments on my account outside of voice, data and text usage.
The worst part is, the mucky texts only came through as basic text so I couldn't even see the uh... product.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
M.C wrote:
It'll be the end to anonymous travel

You're thinking inside two boxes. You'd only be travelling anonymously on a vehicle that's riddled with CCTV and as far as I'm aware, Oyster cards are only a thing in that London.

If contactless takes over (as they say it will) I imagine public transport everywhere will use it. Sure you're on camera but checking back CCTV isn't the same as instantly tracking where everyone has been.

*adjusts tin foil hat*

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'd settle for a cheque-free society at the moment. Cheques, seriously, WTAF.
I got a refund via a cheque-in-the-post (about £10) - not bothered to bank it yet (I will out of principle...) - I guess that's the reason businesses still use cheques (I'd imagine a large percentage of small-value cheques go uncashed)

Contactless is great, I feel hard-done by when somewhere doesn't take it or my transaction is just over £30. As far as the risk-vs-reward algorithm goes, it's definitely in favour of contactless.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Contactless is great, I feel hard-done by when somewhere doesn't take it or my transaction is just over £30. As far as the risk-vs-reward algorithm goes, it's definitely in favour of contactless.

Until you lose your card and someone goes on a spending spree before you realise.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
goto10 wrote:

Until you lose your card and someone goes on a spending spree before you realise.

If you lost your cash, someone could go on a spending spree with that too.

I believe I'm in my 7th or 8th year of using contactless (back in the days when it was pretty much only Pret that would take it, with a £10 limit) - it's ramped up massively over the last three years with pretty much every shop now taking it, I've still not been robbed.

If I lose some cash, then I've lost the cash. If I lose my contactless card, at least I have some form of damage limitation (i.e. call the bank) - but as a second line of defence, if the bank detects usage that is out of the ordinary then it'll ask you to enter your PIN number - so they won't get that many goes at using it, even without human intervention.

Anyway, contactless card are so last year dahling, I use my phone to pay for most things nowadays. Out of curiosity, would you use your phone for payments? You can't set it up without some sort of device security enabled (I have to use my fingerprint before I can make a payment), is that an adequate layer of security for you? If not, why not?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

I believe I'm in my 7th or 8th year of using contactless (back in the days when it was pretty much only Pret that would take it, with a £10 limit) - it's ramped up massively over the last three years with pretty much every shop now taking it, I've still not been robbed.

If I lose some cash, then I've lost the cash. If I lose my contactless card, at least I have some form of damage limitation (i.e. call the bank) - but as a second line of defence, if the bank detects usage that is out of the ordinary then it'll ask you to enter your PIN number - so they won't get that many goes at using it, even without human intervention.

Anyway, contactless card are so last year dahling, I use my phone to pay for most things nowadays. Out of curiosity, would you use your phone for payments? You can't set it up without some sort of device security enabled (I have to use my fingerprint before I can make a payment), is that an adequate layer of security for you? If not, why not?

Because the finger print readers can be fooled.

I have my right thumb to unlock my phone, but have picked up with my left and rubbed my thumb across the unlock, and it's unlocked. Not always, but more than it should.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never once had a failure of my finger print sensor that has allowed the phone to unlock when it shouldnt. The phone is an Xperia Z5.

I've not set up phone payment either mind, just been too lazy to do it really (also I struggle with battery life as it is).

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
goto10 wrote:

Because the finger print readers can be fooled.

I have my right thumb to unlock my phone, but have picked up with my left and rubbed my thumb across the unlock, and it's unlocked. Not always, but more than it should.

We're in the realms of pretty unlikely now though... I'm not chasing infallible, I'm just happy with what happens in reality. If I lost my phone, then unless Dade or Cereal (from Hackers) found it, then I'm confident enough that no one could make a payment with it. I'd just be really annoyed at having lost my phone, which is a risk with or without a payment system present on it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

Are we talking about cards or cash? Lose a chip and pin card and they can't instantly make purchases and run off with the goods. Good luck explaining to your bank that ~£40 spend at Sainsburys was different to your other £40 spend.

And no I wouldn't use my phone for payments. Are you using Android Pay by any chance?

c_dug wrote:
I've never once had a failure of my finger print sensor that has allowed the phone to unlock when it shouldnt.

I normally have the opposite problem. One bead of sweat and it fails to recognise my fingerprint, I often end up unlocking it with the pin anyway.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Are we talking about cards or cash? Lose a chip and pin card and they can't instantly make purchases and run off with the goods. Good luck explaining to your bank that ~£40 spend at Sainsburys was different to your other £40 spend.

I wouldn't try, if it was after it was reported then it wouldn't matter - if it was before then it'd be the same annoyance of losing some cash.

If I hadn't noticed my card was lost/stolen, then the 'second line' defence would kick in and request a PIN if unusual spending patterns were detected - Dindu McChav would try to maximise spending before the card was stopped, which would be flagged as unusual and a PIN request would be made, thus stopping any further use.

For me, the negligible risk is worth the convenience.

M.C wrote:

And no I wouldn't use my phone for payments. Are you using Android Pay by any chance?

I'm using Samsung Pay at the moment, although I've used Cash On Tap & Android Pay in the past without issue. What's the reason you wouldn't use your phone for payments?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

I wouldn't try, if it was after it was reported then it wouldn't matter - if it was before then it'd be the same annoyance of losing some cash.

If I hadn't noticed my card was lost/stolen, then the 'second line' defence would kick in and request a PIN if unusual spending patterns were detected - Dindu McChav would try to maximise spending before the card was stopped, which would be flagged as unusual and a PIN request would be made, thus stopping any further use.

For me, the negligible risk is worth the convenience.

Yeah... https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/09/card-lost-or-stolen-beware---you-could-be-the-victim-of-contactless-fraud-months-after-youve-cancelled-it

So at the very least chavy McChav face will get a free pair of trainers on you.

goto10 wrote:
I'm using Samsung Pay at the moment, although I've used Cash On Tap & Android Pay in the past without issue. What's the reason you wouldn't use your phone for payments?

With Android Pay they collect data on the transaction. I don't think that's the future. I hope its not the future.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Quote:
Halifax has now refunded Justin for the thefts, paid him £6 for the cost of calls he made to the fraud team and £100 for the distress and inconvenience he'd experienced

Nice, a free £100 just for keeping on top of your bank statements (which I do, I'd notice a rogue transaction pretty quickly - I reconcile my statements at least once a week, using MoneyDashboard)

M.C wrote:

So at the very least chavy McChav face will get a free pair of trainers on you.

I'll have you know that DinDu McChavFace wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of £30 sneaks (being the most he could spend in one transaction)

M.C wrote:

With Android Pay they collect data on the transaction. I don't think that's the future. I hope its not the future.

The data is quite useful, it pops up info on where & when you spent the cash. I've already sold my soul to Google/Amazon et al, so what's one more...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 for sorting something which should never have occurred in the first place Clapping

goto10 wrote:
The data is quite useful

To a company like Google it sure is.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Ah what a shame that piece is way out of date.

Contactless now go for full blown authorisation. So as soon as the card is stopped, so is the ))) usage.
Also there is a limit on the number of ))) payment that can be made before you have to make a pin transaction.

Got to agree with goto10. Cards or phone payment are far safer to your pocket that a wallet full of cash when they get lost or stolen.

In 5 + years never seen a single case of a counterfeit contactless transaction. Just the same as a chip/pin transaction.
It's simply not worth the risk or gain to do it.

Far safer to dip the odd pocket or steal a till roll full of card numbers Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2