Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Outside Storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Outside Storage Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm just wondering can you keep your bike outside all year round? As long as it's covered up well and secure of course does it do any damage to the bike?

I currently have a YBR 125 which can fit in my little outhouse I've got but there's very limited room due to me been self employed and my tools everywhere. I'm thinking much further down the line, but eventually i want to get Yamaha R3. As it's quite an awakward angle to get my bike in the outhouse and I have to go on the grass I'm not sure I'll be comfortable enough getting the R3 in the outhouse. It is narrower than the 125 but also much longer. I've been looking at the cycle shell's shipped from the US, they look quite decent, very waterproof and can anchor them to the floor and padlock them shut. If it does come to it I will store it in my back garden which is padlocked (can always get a much bigger lock if need be) behind the outhouse so it's also out of sight. Is it safe to store your pride and joy outside all year round? Thanks.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly possible and no, no real harm. Clearly it's not going to be as 'well kept' as a bike that's lived in a garage but bikes are for riding not staring at.

More of a problem is theft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not everybody has a garage though, only the lucky people lol.

Yes theft is obviously very much in mind too. I plan on fixing several anchors with several chains if need be. I was more curious about the condition of the bike if it's constantly kept outside.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned and ACF50'd correctly, it will keep OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah of course. Unfortunately though due to us private renting i think a garage is well out of the question.

I could think about extending the outhouse though in the near future Very Happy
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

your bike gets wet when you're riding it in the rain?

It's designed to cope with water, one issue in the north west of the country is how moist the air can be, this can get into the electrics a bit and cause issues.

but generally, all my bikes have been happy sitting in the garden overnight and spending all day in the car park at work.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:46 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has been kept outside since August
Everything is fine with it
Have cleaned it three or 4 times kept on top of the chain lube and acf50
It is covered with a stormex cover and secured with 2 chains to ground anchors and a disc lock

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:03 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is under an Oxford Cover which covers it entirely and keeps it fine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are just going to have to put a bit more effort in to keep it looking good compared to a garage queen.

If you aren't going to keep it on the outhouse, a good cover will protect it from the worst of the elements and a bit from scumbags.

ACF50, FS365 or something equivalent to protect the metalwork.

Keep up the lube and maintenance.

HOWEVER - If you can put it in a locking outhouse of course that is going to be better than outside for both protection and thieving.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You are just going to have to put a bit more effort in to keep it looking good compared to a garage queen.

If you aren't going to keep it on the outhouse, a good cover will protect it from the worst of the elements and a bit from scumbags.

ACF50, FS365 or something equivalent to protect the metalwork.

Keep up the lube and maintenance.

HOWEVER - If you can put it in a locking outhouse of course that is going to be better than outside for both protection and thieving.

Well maybe when i'm more used to bikes and better at maneovering them I may be ok getting it in the outhouse, which I'm sure i will be by the time it comes to getting the R3, but I'm considering different methods just incase.

I will always keep up with maintenance and protection etc so that will never be a problem for me. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the KTM outside, under 2 covers now as I found out my fancy Oxford one has not been waterproof for a very long time Neutral That with a couple of ground anchors, a million chains, 2 disc locks and a camera helps me sleep at night but would kill for a garage (not a council one though I'd rather be able to keep an eye on the bike), it's a right faff getting the bike out so I only really do it if I'm going to be out for the full day.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have mentioned it's important to apply some protection to the shiny bits. Even with the best waterproof cover you're still creating a micro-climate of humidity underneath. In some cases it could be better to leave the cover off e.g Wet salty ride home (fnar) and you pop the cover on.
Same goes for when a proper storm be brewing...Probably best to leave the cover off if your bike is left out in the open.

For those using the Stormex covers I found Fabsil Gold waterproof fluid to be very good. As good as it is I still haul the covers indoors to dry properly when the weather allows.

I also 'double bag'. It's a pain but other than some light corrosion on fork bolts and such the 2 bag approach has kept my Duc looking half decent the past 4 years it has lived outdoors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience the worst thing about keeping bikes in the street is trying to work on them

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

4' wide and 8' long... that's roughly the paving area I've got....I aspire to work on my bike in the street. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
4' wide and 8' long...

Bet you tell all the girls that.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those measurements it narrows it down to Sperm Whales if I want it tight and Humpbacks for that lived in vagina feeling.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1