BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork seals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:14 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Fork seals Reply with quote

I attempted to do the fork seals on my Thundercat today a job I've never done before.
I had to make two tools to accomplish the task none of which were even mentioned in the manual.
My question is which is the best fork seal setting tool to buy?

I made something which worked but I'd prefer to have something that does the job better than the thing I made.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Laser fork seal driver - IIRC I got it from Amazon. Very effective and easy to use - basically a tubular slide hammer.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these when they were a lot cheaper

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-4878-motorcycle-fork-seal-driver-35-50mm/

No doubt the same tool is a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Originally the description said it would do up to 50mm diameter forks,so I bought it so that I could do the forks on the KTM enduro,which are 48mm.Finding that this was not the case I had to buy a dedicated seal driver for that bike.For every other bike that I have replaced seals on the Laser tool has been more than adequate Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a suitable size, a bit of plastic drain pipe will do. I used a 40mm straight coupler (which is actually more like 42mm inside diameter).

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:30 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I use a Laser fork seal driver - IIRC I got it from Amazon. Very effective and easy to use - basically a tubular slide hammer.
I use the same, it's not that expensive for a tool you will rarely use but bloody handy to have.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ackack wrote:
Islander wrote:
I use the same, it's not that expensive for a tool you will rarely use but bloody handy to have.

I used a 2" dia plastic drain tube for 46mm forks when I did my first fork seal change but I think next time I'd prefer to get "the right tool for the job." I know the correct driver is a close fit but it is metal sliding across hard chrome, so do you use the driver like a slide hammer or more like a press? Do you need to apply tape or oil between the two surfaces to protect the forks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ackack wrote:
Islander wrote:

I used a 2" dia plastic drain tube for 46mm forks when I did my first fork seal change but I think next time I'd prefer to get "the right tool for the job." I know the correct driver is a close fit but it is metal sliding across hard chrome, so do you use the driver like a slide hammer or more like a press? Do you need to apply tape or oil between the two surfaces to protect the forks?

The driver has a plastic insert that bears against the stanchion and drives the seal home. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

To drive the seals in I held the stanchion and the driver (plastic plumbing fitting) both still, and tapped the fork slider onto the stanchion. There's no movement between the fitting tool and the fork tube when you do it that way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1