Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any plumbers on here, or someone in the know?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Pjay wrote:
Quick gehtto fix is to just bend the arm down a bit that holds the ballcock. This will lower the ball and stop the drip.

Thank me later.

This will just distort the side of the carrier bag tank further.
Needs to be thicker, reinforce or replace.

Pjay is right.... Get the ballcock to the right height and you have no issues with the tank overflowing, makes no difference how thin the walls are. Remember this is just what the tank is designed to do....
Level should be at least a inch below overflow.
Get the tank lagged and a cover on it to help keep it warm and clean.

Usually the ballcock can be moved up and down the arm by loosening the screw holding it to the bar. If not then it's bend the bar time, making sure that you have a good grip on both ends of the bar to stop the tank flexing and causing a leak where the pipes enter the tank..

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:57 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qualified Plumber here.

I have seen some "jobs" in my time but...oh dear.

1st, tank overfull water level needs reducing I suspect the "reinforcing" plastic or brass insert that is supplied with the new ballcock and valve to give a more solid push on the tank hasn't been fitted which won't help. Rotate the ball as per previous posters pic which will force the arm up and lower the water level.
2nd, straighten the overflow so the water can get away.
3rd, replace the flexi with rigid copper pipe that can withstand both the fixed pressure of the water and the pressure of the tank and fittings pushing back.
4th, get a byelaw 30 kit to update your installation to current standards or at the very least get a lid - water regulations now insist on these being lidded - it may not be "drinking" water but it is potable (used for washing, showering, brushing teeth etc) so needs to be done.

good luck - I hope you didn't pay much and make sure as others have said that in the interim your insurance is covered and if there is a leak then - you didn't know anything about it because otherwise you would have problems with your insurance policy.

Stephen
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:24 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
stephen_o wrote:
it may not be "drinking" water but it is potable (used for washing, showering, brushing teeth etc) so needs to be done.

Doesn't "Potable" just mean drinking water?

Quote:
If something is potable that means it's safe to drink.
The word comes from the Latin potare, meaning "to drink."

Water regulations Act 1999 which has now been amended and superseeded by a 2016 act defines "potable" water as water not just used for Drinking but also for washing, domestic appliances, dishwashing - in fact ALL domestic and commercial use except central heating systems which must be sealed with no return possible and watering/irrigation i.e garden hoses. Put it this way - you might not actually deliberately drink the water but you can and do ingest it in different ways by bathing or accidentally swallowing when teeth brushing. Also - would you want your clothes washing in water that contains dust, dead flies and spiders from your roof space?

I am approved by Severn Trent (although not currently plumbing at the moment) I couldn't possibly do or let a job like yours go like that.

Stephen

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:04 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.draytontank.co.uk/byelaw-30-water-tanks-landing.htm

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/Media/Default/PDFs/WaterSupplyRegs.pdf I haven't the time at work to highlight the exact bits - the download is the full guide for consumers - although it is the Southern Water version every water supplier in the UK and most of the EU use this.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you arguing with the plumber about plumbing issues ?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
why are you arguing with the plumber about plumbing issues ?

Because he knows everything. Rolling Eyes

My understanding was grey water could be had for clothes washing and toilet flushing, but not tap water. But I'm not a plumber.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
My understanding was grey water could be had for clothes washing and toilet flushing, but not tap water. But I'm not a plumber.

Good! Very Happy Cos that's not what grey water is; it's water which has already been used for things like clothes washing (or people washing); but is not contaminated by sewage. It's suitable for things like watering the garden or flushing toilets.

Water from the taps in a domestic setting is either drinking water (direct from the mains at high pressure) or it isn't (which is usually when it's been stored somewhere like the OP's tank, and is at low pressure). Depending on the plumbing setup, drinking water may be available from all cold taps in the house, or just the one at the kitchen sink.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Water from the taps in a domestic setting is either drinking water (direct from the mains at high pressure) or it isn't (which is usually when it's been stored somewhere like the OP's tank, and is at low pressure). Depending on the plumbing setup, drinking water may be available from all cold taps in the house, or just the one at the kitchen sink."

Absolutely correct. That could almost have come from a text book! I did 4 and a half years at college 2 1/2 days a week in addition to a full time job and then worked self employed for 4 years doing a variety of jobs from 1st/2nd fix site work to emergancy call out floods, central heating failures (divertor valves etc) and bathroom replacements. A personal non favourite was macerators.

The OP is right in the definition from the dictonary of Potable water. The issue is that most people assume drinking water in a house to relate to only that from the kitchen cold tap. Building regulations mean that water to drinking standards should be available from more than one outlet in a domestic house and all commecial outlets (unless labelled by the tap - do not drink). this is encompassed in the water regulations supply and fittings regulations which I was trained on the 1999 act but it has been updated recently.

This resulted in the regulations one of which is known as byelaw 30 which meant that an existing installation which was being worked on - as per the OP - the occupier should be advised of the new regulations and the apparatus upgraded. This was because people were unknowingly brushing teeth, washing clothes and dishes in water that was stagnant, filthy and in warmer weather there was an extremely small chance of a user gaining a waterborne illness.

In the regulations the term potable water was defined as "all water supplied by an undertaker (the word for a water company) into a property for use in the property" therefore putting all uses of water except central heating into the potable category. This is why the installation upgrade kits were produced and stocked - the byelaw 30 kits I linked to earlier.

It is in the Op's interests to at least correct the poor workmanship, there is a risk that the braided hose can fail internally - I have known these go very quickly especially when twisted because of the back pressure.

As a final point - It is possible and legal to wash your clothes and dishes and shower etc with "grey" water which is usually harvested from a rainwater downspout but any tap outlets must be marked "not drinking water" personally I would love such a system but the complexity means it really is only appropriate when specified in a new build.

I wish the OP luck. I know it isn't nice to be told that something you have paid money for hasn't been done right.

Stephen

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I don't believe that. Mine is so thin it bulges at the sides, never stopped the ball cock valve working though. Don't forget most of these tanks have to fit through a loft hatch, so need to be so thin you can bend them. That's quite normal.

Being so full that it's constantly overflowing wont be helping it's strength. If the float ball was adjusted properly the level would fall and the pressure on the tank walls would be a lot lower.

I suspect yours has the reinforcement fitted (as mentioned by the qualified plumber), as well as a solid inlet pipe which all help with rigidity.

The tank in question needs a solid area around the inlet pipe or op will just be pissing against the wind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So like I said then. It means drinkable, not grey water too.

I guess you are not from the generation. Where drinkable water was only at the kitchen sink. Your bathroom taps were fed from a tank (like OP) and deemed not to be fit to be drinkable.

Where as now all taps are fed from the mains.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:39 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has all changed now again, it was decided that building houses like yours with all the cold draw straight from the mains supply but too much pressure drop on the street main so now it is back to one mains cold tap in the kitchen and everything else fed from a tank but the tank having to comply with the new regs so the water is safe to drink.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can make out there is:

- water you should drink (ie mains water)
- water you can drink (ie from the loft tank)
- water you should not drink (grey, foul and surface water).

Tank-fed water is not recommended, but is ostensibly OK for incidental consumption.

Our previous house had a loft tank, with lid - it fed the bathroom and we all cleaned our teeth in it and swallowed small amounts. Still here.

Our current house is all fed from the mains, with a soft water circuit and a fresh water circuit. No tanks at all above ground level. I like it better.

Back to OP, stephen_o has given some great advice and insights - I'd be looking at doing that stuff. Remember also that if your loft is insulated then NOT to insulate between the ceiling and the water tank - the heat lost through this small area helps keep the tank from freezing.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:15 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
As far as I can make out there is:

- water you should drink (ie mains water)
- water you can drink (ie from the loft tank)
- water you should not drink (grey, foul and surface water).

Tank-fed water is not recommended, but is ostensibly OK for incidental consumption.

Our previous house had a loft tank, with lid - it fed the bathroom and we all cleaned our teeth in it and swallowed small amounts. Still here.

Our current house is all fed from the mains, with a soft water circuit and a fresh water circuit. No tanks at all above ground level. I like it better.

Back to OP, stephen_o has given some great advice and insights - I'd be looking at doing that stuff. Remember also that if your loft is insulated then NOT to insulate between the ceiling and the water tank - the heat lost through this small area helps keep the tank from freezing.

Weasley is correct. I did not write the regulations, but I a Severn Trent Approved Contractor trained in the legislation and practices. You may disagree with me, you may disagree with the legislation but it is there. The legislation was written to effect a "control" over stored water that COULD be taken into the body and to reduce waste. For example, how many of you run your cold tap (fed from the tank) e.g bathroom sink and notice the water is warm and takes a while to go cold? the reason is your cold water pipes were fitted in a run with the hot water pipes and usually the central heating pipes so the heat from one affects the other, this used to result I am told in water being wasted being run off. Water Companies now they are all privatised don't want to invest in upgrading mains and new reservoirs etc so usage and wastage management was applied instead. This is where the regulations came from.

All water piped into a domestic property from a water company (undertaker) has to be treated with chlorine and most is also treated with fluoride. Personally I would prefer not to drink water with chlorine and fluoride in it but that's the situation. The fluoride is added purely to assist with dental hygiene, the chlorine is in to kill bugs and bacteria in the pipes etc so that you don't become ill from drinking it. When this water goes into your tank the chlorine will slowly evaporate as will some of the minerals in the water - see your white deposits above the water line in your tanks. If left in an un lidded and uninsulated tank with uninsulated pipes to taps this water will eventually become unfit to drink but with a lid, insulation, and a reasonable throughput of water (i.e not sitting for days) the water will still be fit for use including drinking although due to the chlorine evaporation and it sitting it will taste different to fresh out of the kitchen tap in exactly the same way as if you pour a glass of water from the tap then leave it overnight to the following day - it doesn't taste the same but it doesn't make you ill.

Personally I don't drink the water from my bathroom tap but if I had a situation that mean't I couldn't get to the kitchen (back injury) then I would.

I can't help the regulations and I have to abide by them, a non registered plumber can do what he wants - the results are in the pictures posted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2