Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrade 900 diversion, suggestions?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:31 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Upgrade 900 diversion, suggestions? Reply with quote

Hello all!
Thinking about upgrading the divvy as it's looking a little tired, and whilst it will probably go on for another 70000 miles, maybe its time for a change.

Bike will be used everyday in all weathers to and from work, 40 miles a day, 5 days a week. Will not get washed or polished, but mechanicaly I will keep it spot on, as I have the divvy. Must be shaft drive and have panniers or the ability to fit them without comprimising pillion comfort

So far I am thinking Honda ST1100 / 1300, Yamaha FJR, or Kawasaki GTR. There are probably bikes out there that I have not thought of, so any suggestions would be gratefully receved. Buget about £5K, and for that I want 5 years and 60000 miles. Will not be worried if I need to do things like a cambelt on the Honda, but I don't realy want to buy into anything with known abs faults, which I think are some BMWs, but not sure so that's another reason for asking.

And want really good lights, as its dark and twisty on my last few miles home.
Thanks in advnce for any suggestions.
Stalk

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just keep the divi untill it starts to cost more to keep it running than its worth.
you do 20 miles a day with a pillion? or do you use it for other things?
because there isnt much fun in a divi.
however if you are looking to change because you want to change.
then just get whatever you like the look of.
lights can be augmented.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:28 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you're saying must be shaft drive to avoid the constant cleaning/adjustment/cocking around that goes with chains. Consider belt drive as well in that case. The US Harley riders frequently report 150k out of a belt, with a tension every year or two (when they do a tyre change).
Opens up your options a bit.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:01 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want is something with super-low miles.

How about a shiny Divvy from cjjeep? His bikes are always superb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ900S-Diversion-Classic-Tourer-All-Rounder/162813010160?hash=item25e86960f0:g:~NEAAOSwuhFaOmY5

Or a lovely ST1300 from Lincolnshire Motorcycles - his bikes are immaculate (bought 3 from him).

https://www.lincolnshiremotorcycles.co.uk/Public/Content/Product.aspx?ProductID=2002

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:02 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up a few points, it's 20 miles each way solo, Northampton to Fenny Stratford. Need pillion for the odd joyride with wife or daughters on the back. Yes I need shaft drive to save maintanance time, but belt drive is a good idea, don't fancy a harley.
Bike will be a tool to get me to work, and this is all because i fancy a change

Cheers All!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Kwak GTR but I seem to be in a minority. It has never really sold in large numbers and because of seems to be a bit overpriced second hand in my view.

The FJR is the obvious choice. Plenty around, good spec for the money and a nice tourer.

None of the bikes you mentioned are bad. The only BMW I'd have is the six cylinder jobbie Wub but I don't like the twin boxer engine so the GS's are out for me.

Saying that, presuming you have considered the GS, what about another adventure bike, the Tiger Explorer. 1215cc triple, shaftie, single side swing arm. All the electronic mod cons. I'd still have mine if the tax man hadn't wanted his pound of flesh.

However, if it was me, I'd probably keep the divvy for the commute until it becomes unviable and keep my shiny new bike, whatever I chose, as my toy.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:22 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
How about a shiny Divvy from cjjeep? His bikes are always superb. [...] Lincolnshire Motorcycles - his bikes are immaculate (bought 3 from him).

<animated-eye-roll.gif>

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
[Belt] opens up your options a bit.

F800ST/GT? I guess. No ABS problems on them. It was the early-early BMW systems that would fail-kill you or cause BLUDY bleeding PROBLEMSE.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:20 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dullville?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:48 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Dullville?

Don't we usually go straight to "Y U NO just Pan Euro then"?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go the 2 bikes scenario. The commuter and the 'pride and joy'.

Keep the 900 or get a cheap Deauville for commuting and get what you want for the fun stuff.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:10 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can afford it i agree with polarbear - get a cheap workhorse for erryday and then a fun bike for the nice days.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:33 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Input Chaps!
Not going to do the two bike thing as don't want 3 bikes (we also have a cbr600, but that's just hard work as you need to drop 2 gears to overtake anything.) As my bike spends the majority of its time taking me to and from work, I might as well go on something nice and comfortable, need to get enjoyment when you can. I would not consider it a waste of a nice bike as there is no point in being the richest man in the graveyard. Don't want to put a scottoiler on anything as I realy do intend to be that lazy, and don't want the faff of filling the oiler, not even the touring reservoir, and cleaning the fling. Decided a long time ago against the bmw adventure bike look, as the whole POLITE high vis image that goes with this type of bike is not for me. There is a chap who is exacly this, who is a regular in our local Aldi. Looks like a cock, parks like a cock, and probably rides like the KING OF THE ROAD, whilst vloging.

So I suppose that I kind of know what I don't want, but don't yet know what I do want, so please keep the ideas comming as someone might suggest something that I had not considered.

Cheers All!

Having said all that about the bmw, just had a quick look at the triumph explorer 1215, think I like it. Will be going on the list to consider

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:50 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
Decided a long time ago against the bmw adventure bike look, as the whole POLITE high vis image that goes with this type of bike is not for me. There is a chap who is exacly this, who is a regular in our local Aldi. Looks like a cock, parks like a cock, and probably rides like the KING OF THE ROAD, whilst vloging.

So I suppose that I kind of know what I don't want, but don't yet know what I do want, so please keep the ideas comming as someone might suggest something that I had not considered.

Having said all that about the bmw, just had a quick look at the triumph explorer 1215, think I like it. Will be going on the list to consider

It seems a shame not considering a bike which may be ideal because of a potential stigma. Does it really matter if the odd POLITE wearing twunt rides one? If it does what you need it to and you like the way it rides then what others may think of you should be irrelevant!

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:01 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about a Bulldog? Ok, no fairing, but waterproofs will work just fine. Should satisfy your comfort aspirations too. Nice shaftie and low milers are circa 3 grand. Cheap bikes, mainly because of the infamous test crashes which (according to the German forums) is just completely overblown.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1