Long Commutes?? (Cage)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQ wrote:
It does cost a bit though; £300 a month in diesel for me and £200 on M6Toll fees before you see how many tyres/brakes the car gets through.

Shocked Wouldn't a mortgage on a second-house/flat closer to work be cheaper? Laughing

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:14 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current commute is 8 miles Newcastle-Under-Lyme to Longton 6 days a week 25 mins - 20 on a Saturday.

I have been sent all over the place in the past, one of the worst was NUL to Coventry by the Airport for a 8.45am start and 5.45pm finish for 4 weeks I was delighted to get a hotel down there after the 1st couple of days. It really does take the shine off driving.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by smegballs on 21:36 - 17 May 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Has anyone ever just got a campervan to live in weektime to save all the hassle of commuting?

I work 12 hours shifts usually (work a 15-20 min cycle from home), which means when aiming to get 8hrs sleep. I only really have time to eat, sleep, work, shower in any given 24hr period. If you have a 9hr day with a 3hr round commute you are also in the same boat of having 12 hours or "work related time" stolen from you each weekday.

So given there's no time for anything fun in the evenings anyway, why not just sleep in a camper and save the commuting tedium and fuel costs? Lots of workplaces have showers now for the cyclist crew, so that's not an issue. With the money that would have been blown on fuel anyway, go watch a movie, go to the gym, go out to eat etc.

Polarbear had/has his canal boat, but I don't think it's in London anymore (I'm watching you...).

One guy I worked with had an old van (he lived in) which he parked in the company car park, until he got told to move it. Yes he was Irish. Another guy who had a history of being homeless slept in the prayer room for a bit Laughing

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was plumbing I worked on a series of contracts in Birmingham, Manchester, London and Tyneside amongst others and because of the early starts and lateish finishes on sites and the long drives I did consider getting a touring caravan rather than hiring scutty digs at £50 a night (london) where the roof leaked onto the bed. However I had a van obvs and didn't want the negativity of a van towing a caravan. Also although there were sites that offered contractors rates getting one to accept a contractor and a van was iffy for reasons that would be obvious. I just had to factor the costs into my pricing instead and grin and bear the miles.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:34 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and advice

My current org are entering yet more 'restructuring'. Im not officially at risk, though i do believe that the changes are only tinkering at the edges and dont address some of the fundamental issues we have, and well be back here again in 6 months.

Against that backdrop, and going in eyes wide open so to speak, ive decided to take the new role.

Ill try to remember to post up every now and again to compare experience with many of the warnings given!

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:06 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in.....

One month in now.

So far its been about 50 % long commute and 50 % working form the local office. Not finding it an issue so far tbh.

Incedentally ive since found out a lot of my old place have since been put 'at risk' - so it appears a lucky escape...!

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:00 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
Checking in.....

One month in now.

So far its been about 50 % long commute and 50 % working form the local office. Not finding it an issue so far tbh.

Incedentally ive since found out a lot of my old place have since been put 'at risk' - so it appears a lucky escape...!

Stupid question i suppose...
but i assume the working from home element massively offsets the days you do have to commute ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3