BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just passed my CBT.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:08 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it - I didnt do u-turns or figure 8's on my CBT - just a few left and right junction turns in a school car park. Then I went on the road on a twist and go (easy enough tbh). Although he said he nearly failed me for going through a light on yellow which i thougth was a bit stupid considering he had followed me through it Very Happy

Next day I was out learning in ASDA car park on an old CG125. Took me a few hours to get used to going up and down the gears which would have been wasted on the CBT so all worked out

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Come to think of it - I didnt do u-turns or figure 8's on my CBT - just a few left and right junction turns in a school car park. Then I went on the road on a twist and go (easy enough tbh). Although he said he nearly failed me for going through a light on yellow which i thougth was a bit stupid considering he had followed me through it Very Happy

Next day I was out learning in ASDA car park on an old CG125. Took me a few hours to get used to going up and down the gears which would have been wasted on the CBT so all worked out

I don't understand the mentality and logic of that at all. You paid for training - why would 3 hours of going up and down gears in a controlled environment, under instruction that you've paid for, have been wasted?

Why not just do your CBT on a geared bike to start with and learn something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:23 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

I don't understand the mentality and logic of that at all. You paid for training - why would 3 hours of going up and down gears in a controlled environment, under instruction that you've paid for, have been wasted?

Why not just do your CBT on a geared bike to start with and learn something?

no pressure for me to when im doing it on my own time. why flail around on a geared bike when i can just get the certificate i came for and go learn at my own pace with no pressure or panicking about the bike.

i'm more of a let me just get on with it kinda guy. i understand where youre coming from but riding a bike is more learned than taught.. if you get me? you can say slip the clutch and the back brake all you like but until you put the hours in the muscle memory isnt there..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why people just want to get their cert' on a twist and go, although I'd want to make sure I was going to practice somewhere quiet before attempting to ride a geared bike home. I knew a repeat CBT'er, who despite riding geared bikes still opted for the 'ped everytime.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:32 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the sort of instructor that's prepared to hand you a DL196 without going through the basic manoeuvres, then you're probably as well DIYing it. Do everyone else a favour and rat them out to DVSA Derek though, eh?

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:32 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If you have the sort of instructor that's prepared to hand you a DL196 without going through the basic manoeuvres, then you're probably as well DIYing it. Do everyone else a favour and rat them out to DVSA Derek though, eh?

This, before there's a casualty through lack of training.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations mate, you have done the right thing and will have fun and freedom like never before.

Last edited by struan80 on 12:08 - 13 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Yup, or go even cheaper. I bought the wife a 2008 YBR for 800 quid and sold it 2 years and 3k miles later for 50 quid less. Learner bike prices are climbing really - because the cost of new bikes is now too great for the short time you'd own the thing.

This^

I bought my Sym Wolf for £900 and with the exception of a dodgey speedo it's been very reliable and I never looked back.
Owning a bike gives you much more time to develop the muscle memory, road awareness etc for your test and unlike a finance bike the freedom of a motorcycle feels more free because you don't have the bank or the dealership breathing down your neck.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2