Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fancy a jolly to Amsterdam?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Fancy a jolly to Amsterdam? Reply with quote

Well do you?

Seriously could do with a break away. Is anyone else up for this? I'd need a months notice but would be raring to go.

Someone else needs to help me arrange this as I am generally incapable.

I'd be flying from Edinburgh and getting a bike when I get there, a pushbike.

I'll buy the magic mushrooms and the first round of Weed Burgers.

Cheers, Struan

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs moar crowdfundz.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Needs moar crowdfunding.

Damn it man I'll throw in some chips with mayonnaise and do a raffle for the most complete on tour idiot. I have high hopes of winning that.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Needs moar crowdfundz.

AmsterdamPal®

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've woken up, almost sober, and would be well up for this. I've been snooping about these forums for a couple of years and actually quite like you bunch....what would life be like without Teflon and Rogerborg, mixed with a bit of Paddy, Ste and hellcat and whoever lol

Seriously I'm going to head to Amsterdam quite soon, not for the usual tourist shit but to get melted and watch the buildings leaning at all sorts of weird angles.

I'm going to book soon. Would love you guys to tag along Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:59 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, I could be organised enough to sort my passport out but the passport office people aren't quick.

Getting really really really stoned is the only tourist stuff worth doing. Mr. Green

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Hmmmmm, I could be organised enough to sort my passport out but the passport office people aren't quick.

Getting really really really stoned is the only tourist stuff worth doing. Mr. Green

I'm going to listen to Leonard Cohen for a bit while you sort your passport out.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotterdam is better Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:29 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have nearly enough different coffeeshops in Rotterdam and I will always dislike Rotterdam simply because me and a mate got really quite lost when cycling there. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
me and a mate got really quite lost when cycling there. Laughing

I've lost the plot there a few times... but that's why I like it Mr. Green

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:01 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I fancy that adventure.
Tell me the dates and I will book a flight from LCY.

I'll need a proper hotel room, though, can't be sleeping in weird/outside spaces (apart from stoner snoozes, obvs). Pointless asking to share with me, I snore like a pneumatic drill.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo the proper hotel thoughts. Or maybe an air bnb? I rented the top floor of a town house last time I was there,
the roof garden was very handy for getting very stoned with amazing Amsterdam rooftop views. Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What dates would suit everyone best?

I'm the same I'd need a comfy bed for my old limbs. Grrr66, something like that would be perfect. Depending no numbers we could rent a townhouse floor like you had?

Fly out Friday return Sunday?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fly from Bristol so would have to meet up at Schipol or something. Question Before I get too involved, I'd better run this
past the Mrs. Laughing She knows what I'm like and this will be undoubtedly be costly in one way or another.
Last time I did something similar, I wound up with a broken ankle and couldn't work for 3 months when I was the sole
breadwinner, Embarassed that was a decade ago and I still hear about it now funnily enough. She's more than familiar with the
stupid child she's married to. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Bristol (briefly) last night, on the way home from a flying visit to Cornwall.

But we only stopped to snort some fish and chips (in Cleveden), as we were already 5 hours behind schedule.

I pointed out that we *could* have called you up and blagged a bed, and maybe taken in a show in your totty hut, but the Number One Chaperone was supposed to be elsewhere after he dropped me back home, except we didn't get back home until well after midnight.

Last edited by hellkat on 14:28 - 13 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Make sure there's no pillows though.

We could always gaffer tape you to the wall whilst in the presence of sleeping people. Cool Thumbs Up

Just, y'know ... for your own safety an' that. Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, potential Amsterdam Party Crew

I wish Mardi Gras wasn't on a Tuesday ... Shifty ...
We could have a proper laugh, what with beads and stuff
Shall we go the weekend either side of that and act like Mardi Gras cunts anyway. (does Amsterdam even care about Mardi Gras?)

Struan80
Bodyguard
Grrr666
hellkat
Ste
ThatDippyTwat

Borg/Vice, are you just commentating or are you considering attendance?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:07 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotels are all about location.

The Quentin Arrive hotel on Haarlemmerstraat isn't the highest quality hotel in the world but is in an awesome location. Every time I've been there they don't really care about smoking in the rooms. Last time me and a mate were in a room on the ground floor and they weren't too pleased about how the reception was full of weed smoke so their solution was to upgrade us to a much nicer room that was a couple of floors up. Mr. Green

With an AirBNB I'd be quite worried about the deposit. Quentin Arrive you can have a bonfire in the sink in the middle of the night. You can be sick out of a third floor window. You can have battles involving a fresh fish where the fish ends up being thrown out of the window. You can treat the place like the cheap hotel that it is and no one gives a fuck. Laughing

Google says Amsterdam does do Mardi Gras and IMO dates which are popular with tourists are best avoided.

I'll sort out getting passport photos signed by someone next week so I can then send off my passport form thingy.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Google says Amsterdam does do Mardi Gras and IMO dates which are popular with tourists are best avoided.

Good point.
Well made.

I only really considered Mardi Gras cos its about a month away. But I can quite literally do almost any weekend, cos every weekend can be Mardi Gras Laughing I should work weekends, it saves me having to taxi too hard during the week, but what the fuck.

I do fancy something nice, cool, comfortable, Dutch, and groovy a la AirBnB, but I like the sound of the Quentin Arrive. As long as I have a proper bed to crash in, and a lockable door to keep Bodyguard and his pillows out, I don't care if its a dive: adds to the flavour.

I can pretty much sleep through most stuff, so if some cunt is throwing midgets across the room next door, when I'm *that* tired, I will be the one sleeping through it.

Edit: Hmmmmm ... I don't usually read/trust Trip Advisor reviews but ... yeah, the Quentin looks pretty divey to me Laughing Cracks me up: Some bint has been there three times but still decides to slam it. Oh, I went there with the girlies, it was shite, but oh, then I went there with my brother, and lordy it was SO shite that I went there AGAIN with my *mother* ... FFS, stop bitching about it and admit you're just a tight cunt.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming end of Feb, I'll have enough days off for that left if shit doesn't pop up and make me use them, but things have scuppered plans for the last 2 years, so I'm making no promises.

I'll likely be ferrying it over from Hull (if I stop off to see friends in Rotterdam) or Newcastle, mainly becuase I use the ferry ride back to recover.

After July, I'm pretty open and might make the beginning of a little Scandanavian touring on the bike.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah end of Feb/early March is prolly a better bet, given that the Amsterdam Tourist Board probably promotes Valentines as well Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:36 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Edit: Hmmmmm ... I don't usually read/trust Trip Advisor reviews but ... yeah, the Quentin looks pretty divey to me Laughing Cracks me up: Some bint has been there three times but still decides to slam it. Oh, I went there with the girlies, it was shite, but oh, then I went there with my brother, and lordy it was SO shite that I went there AGAIN with my *mother* ... FFS, stop bitching about it and admit you're just a tight cunt.

It's a cheap hotel but I don't quite agree with many of the Trip Advisor reviews. Laughing

The person who's been there three times but still complains about it seems about right. It's not amazing but you get what you pay for. First time I was there, one of the windows in the room wouldn't shut properly so we had to fix it with lots of gaffa tape. Second time when staying in the budget rooms where you don't have an ensuite and we discovered that there aren't shared bathrooms on every floor.

For the purposes of somewhere to return to at the end of the night and crashing out it's fine. Not having to walk a stupid distance to get there is useful.

From looking on AirBNB I don't think many of the owners would be too pleased when the place ends up smelling like a coffeeshop. Laughing

The Quentin Amsterdam Hotel www.quentinamsterdam.com is slightly classier but is further away from the good parts of town and it costs more.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the Eurostar does direct London>Amsterdam trains. This must be a new thing. Might be of use to someone.

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train/netherlands/amsterdam
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4