Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
krl This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Pads arrived for the back brake so I set about the caliper.

I was hoping I could simply clean the pistons the best I can and push them back in under finger pressure but this wasn't going to be the case. I couldn't be arsed crawling round on the floor so I just took the part off the bike.

Have you cleaned the caliper halves?You say you are awaiting the new seal kit with everything spread out as if awaiting reassembly....but the state of some of those components is disgusting Shocked

Always have a 'Plan B'
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little red rubber grease spread around the pistons before you push them all the way in works really well for protecting the dust seals and aiding movement of the pistons. I've found them much easier to clean and haven't had any stick since I've started doing that, also haven't had the protruding dust seals since which would happen extremely easily before. Stops any corrosion on the pistons too if you're a little lazy with the cleaning too.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Pads arrived for the back brake so I set about the caliper.

Would usually recoil with disgust/repulsion but I do like a clean up job.
Don't fuck it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:51 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol jinx,
i just took my pistons apart propperly and gave them a thorough clean, first with gunk to get rid of all the really shitty grease then boiling hot very soapy water to bath them in...

My pistons where nearly as bad as yours bodyguard.

Whats doubly shocking is that there was no dust seal on my calipers. No wonder they were binding. All the shit was holding them somewhat closed.

Anyway new seals going in tomorrow... i had to really do a dentists job of scraping out some ali corrosion from the dust seal area... but its all good now.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brake cable - Bodged.

They don't make one for this, so I got a similar design, but slightly longer, and routed it differently, with no tight radii, to take up the difference. Seems to work well enough, and isn't siezing like the old one did it you did more than tap on it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
recman wrote:
Don't fuck it up.

Shut up armchair expert.

I was working on motors way before you were the dirty water in the bottom of your old man's sack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
recman wrote:
I was working on motors way before you were the dirty water in the bottom of your old man's sack.

Did I hit a nerve? Laughing Sit back down in your armchair you old bastard before I embarrass you. Middle Finger

Crack on and do your best.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the oil, decided I couldn't be arsed to do the screen.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
A little red rubber grease spread around the pistons before you push them all the way in works really well for protecting the dust seals and aiding movement of the pistons. I've found them much easier to clean and haven't had any stick since I've started doing that, also haven't had the protruding dust seals since which would happen extremely easily before. Stops any corrosion on the pistons too if you're a little lazy with the cleaning too.

I use this stuff on all seals.One tub has lasted ages as it only needs a smear of grease to properly lubricate Thumbs Up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuchs-Renolit-Rubber-Grease-500g/dp/B01AY1KJ96/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1515323555&sr=8-14&keywords=seal+grease

Always have a 'Plan B'

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered new tyres for the thundercat. The Avon storm 3dxms have lasted 17317miles since fitted and are now down to the wear bar on the front with the rear still having 1mm before the wear bar Cool Cool

So good i've ordered them again. They've been used primarily on the motorway and not babied at all.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted China's finest foldable extendable levers.
Can't complain, £28 delivered, fit and finish is better than expected.

Kept them on the shortest size, which seems fine for now as the front brake seems more powerful for given effort, so two finger braking might be fine.

Need to road test but no time Mad

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked some bits up Friday from the painters
https://i.imgur.com/L12GAjq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vOcSiqR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1vDYMuq.jpg

(Also those familiar with the frames may notice a bit of gusseting I've welded on around some known weak points).

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:

WHOA, THERE, Bodyguard!

You've left out a critical component, I fear Shocked . . .

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:16 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the Termoscud invalid blanket on the Tractor.

https://i.imgur.com/4mw6rFM.png?1

You so want me.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Put the Termoscud invalid blanket on the Tractor.

https://i.imgur.com/4mw6rFM.png?1

You so want me.

Semi-serious question - is this for if you're in your kilt?

It strikes me as slightly ott - having said that, it's been resolutely chilly here in the East Riding for well over a month now. Rarely seen owt over 4-5 degrees C, often 3. Anything below that I tend not to bother due to abject lack of gritting out this way. But if it gets to 4 and the roads aren't *too* shitty, I'll head out for a few hours.

Layering up, the only thing that gets to me sometimes is cold hands - everything else is fine. Don't have heated grips. Still in single skin summer gloves cos "feel".

At the weekend I went down into North Lincs, and got as far as Horncastle. Stopped at Brigg, H-castle, and a quick tank full at Barton on the way back. When cracking on a bit you definitely start to feel it - but it's not too bad taken an hour at a time, with a stretch and cuppa here and there.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:45 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Semi-srs answer: it's to reduce wind and rain chill on my legs and torso - it actually flips up to cover the chest as well.

It looks well spacky, but like many bike related things, you don't see or notice it once you're on the move. You wouldn't want to use one while out on a Sunday jaunt with the Power Ranger Squad, but on a cold, dark, wet and blowy Monday morning, it's the difference between tolerable and comfortable.

Muffs went on before Xebusmass for much the same reason.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Semi-srs answer: it's to reduce wind and rain chill on my legs and torso - it actually flips up to cover the chest as well.

It looks well spacky, but like many bike related things, you don't see or notice it once you're on the move. You wouldn't want to use one while out on a Sunday jaunt with the Power Ranger Squad, but on a cold, dark, wet and blowy Monday morning, it's the difference between tolerable and comfortable.

I've only ever seen them on scootays, I assumed it was to keep your vagina warm.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and got the ktm booked in for a major service, the garage came to collect it so I got it ready for them as you do. In the process I noticed the back wheel was binding, happens often with the back pads but this time I rolled the bike forwards and one of the pads ripped clean off Laughing so that's another job for them to do which is annoying as it's easy to do, I even had the pads waiting to go on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 289 of 409