Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, there's no money, eh?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: So, there's no money, eh? Reply with quote

I'm being forced to take unpaid leave*, whilst county council chief gets £95k payoff, even though he resigned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-42444853

* which is stupid, since we don't get paid for the first day of sickness either. All that's going to happen is the next time I'm sick, It'll be a 3 dayer, at least.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Re: So, there's no money, eh? Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I'm being forced to take unpaid leave*, whilst county council chief gets £95k payoff, even though he resigned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-42444853

* which is stupid, since we don't get paid for the first day of sickness either. All that's going to happen is the next time I'm sick, It'll be a 3 dayer, at least.

How many sick days are you allowed before it goes any further?

Congratulations you've just found out how many sick days you're having next year. Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 in a rolling 12 month, before occy health get involved Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone falls sick, do their bills stop?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrvpt scvm, etc.

What genius came up with that punishment for honesty? Presumably they got a bonus for all the money "saved" from it.

Don't forget that you can change holidays to sick leave if you're "taken ill" while you're off. No "fit note" until you're "sick" for 7 days in a row. Idea

Oh, and you still accrue holidays while off sick. Whistle

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dr Blantern had held his position at the council for 10 years before leaving the Conservative-controlled authority on 13 October.

Quote:
Bob Scott, leader of the opposition Labour group, said: "We were initially told there was no pay-off, so we're not happy.

Fuckin' lefties at it again, oh, hang on. Rolling Eyes

Does not fit agenda!
Move on, nothing to see here!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Carillion is about to get a government bail out
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

900 million in the hole...

Huge damage to a lot of dependant subbies if they go under plus they are heavily into infrastructure upkeep. That's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Carillion is about to be bailed out by the taxpayer!
Carillion's plight has been known about for at least a month, why is it only in the headlines now?
Anyway, more public money being wasted as it wends its way into the, seemingly, bottomless pockets of party donors!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:39 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Carillion is about to be bailed out by the taxpayer!

Hey, you know how nationalised industries are bad because when your job is guaranteed regardless of how inefficient you are... hmmm.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hey, you know how nationalised industries are bad because when your job is guaranteed regardless of how inefficient you are... hmmm.

Nationalised industries, you say, hmmm I remember them. Thinking

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

That's why the nationalised but run as a private corporation is pretty effective. Companies are run like for profit companies, but the state owns all of the shares in the company.

Thus the nationalised industry effect - go in at 9.55 then have a cup of tea till 10.55 etc can't happen.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:12 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Apparently not? https://news.sky.com/story/amp/carillion-appeals-to-banks-as-administration-looms-11208333

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:01 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand liquidation. I am genuinely surprised, considering that gov.uk is (not) discussing how many tens of billions to give to Brussels in return for nothing.

Do they mean liquidation or just administration? Hard to tell, I do not think that word means what they think that it, etc.

"However, the government will provide funding to maintain the public services run by Carillion."

Funding to whom? It's being liquidated. I do not think...

Very confusing. I expect Tata or some China-China-China firm will be ready and willing to step in and scoop the profits.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Very confusing. I expect Tata or some China-China-China firm will be ready and willing to step in and scoop the profits.

I'm sure Norinco will happily oblige... in exchange for several treaty ports and the free flow of Fentanyl.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... Probably time for a diversionary terrorist attack......

Last edited by jjdugen on 20:48 - 15 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
"However, the government will provide funding to maintain the public services run by Carillion."

Funding to whom? It's being liquidated.

Apparently Carillion sub-contracted out a lot of work to other firms, so there was talk of keeping those companies on the job.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Apparently Carillion sub-contracted out a lot of work to other firms, so there was talk of keeping those companies on the job.

How? Snappy fingers, contracts appear, money flows?

If it can be done overnight now, why does it take months or years to tender out bids normally?

Oh, the swill that will flow.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The problem is Carillion had 120+ day credit terms with many of the subcontractors. So their subcontractors may not even survive this.

I've seen it 2-3 times a massive cascade effect when one big company in an area goes bust. Companies that work with them go bust too and their suppliers go bust too.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The problem is Carillion had 120+ day credit terms with many of the subcontractors. So their subcontractors may not even survive this.

I've seen it 2-3 times a massive cascade effect when one big company in an area goes bust. Companies that work with them go bust too and their suppliers go bust too.

That is a HUGE problem. I know someone who works for a subbie which has been left 200k in the hole by this. Sounds implausible but if you have 120 day terms and partaking in several large independent contracts it's could easily be much much more.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:39 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's notionally a good thing that Carillion has been allowed to fail, except that nobody who was involved in running it into the ground will suffer for it. Moral hazard writ large.

If I were moderator.uk, I'd law a law that company directors go to the back of the queue for monies owed. It's unfathomable why the former CEO of Carillion is still getting paid until October.

The chaps for whom I used to work phoenixed a company 4 times (then I lost count), and walked away each time flush with borrowed-stolen money while the staff and suppliers got screwed. One of them is is listed as a director of 21 companies, most of them dissolved or insolvent shells or faux ethno-chaaaridies. Corrvpt scvm ain't the half of it.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:57 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Luckily" a few months ago the directors managed to change the wording in their contracts, making it almost impossible for them to loose their sizable bonuses for anything as trivial as corporate negligence.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If I were moderator.uk, I'd law a law that company directors go to the back of the queue for monies owed. It's unfathomable why the former CEO of Carillion is still getting paid until October.

The chaps for whom I used to work phoenixed a company 4 times (then I lost count), and walked away each time flush with borrowed-stolen money while the staff and suppliers got screwed. One of them is is listed as a director of 21 companies, most of them dissolved or insolvent shells or faux ethno-chaaaridies. Corrvpt scvm ain't the half of it.

Now now comrade Tut Tut
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2