Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike rip-off? Suzuki 2008 GN125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Merce101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:14 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: First bike rip-off? Suzuki 2008 GN125 Reply with quote

Hello all!

Had a read through alot of the forum posts (new bikers and workshop - some really interesting stuff) but cant find the exact issues im experiencing, hence this post. Apologies if this should go in workshop btw.

I used to ride a VanVan 125 about 10yrs ago (in my early 20s), and in the most part enjoyed the experience. It cost me £1300 and with not driving a car at the time gave me a bit of freedom and got me to work and back.

Jump ahead to present day and the missus is pregnant and doesnt want me taking the car to work every day and leaving her stuck in the house! Money being tight I found a £1200 2008 GN125 from a local dealership which looks in pretty good shape and ran fine in the car park (tried for £1000 cash but ended up only getting free delivery - cant ride it home as CBT to be done in slightly better weather). Thought this should get me the 10mile to work and back.

The VanVan started every morning and ran like a peach - this f*cking thing sounds like my 90-odd year old neighbour having a coughing fit! Turns out the choke was 3/4 on in the car-park and now when adjusting it the bike either runs mental at 4000-6000 revs (ON) or sputters at 1000 and dies (OFF...after a good 10min warmup).

Tried finding the idle/fuel-air screw on the carburetor to see if I can get the engine sounding happier without the choke on but cant find it anywhere!! I dont know if the dealership have cleaned the carb but most forum posts point to a carb issue. I did it for my VanVan without too much hassle but with only having the bike for a couple of days i'm not sure if to just send it back and get my money refunded. £1200 was the high end of my budget and I went for it only as I dont trust ANYONE on gumtree or ebay and assumed with being serviced I wouldnt have these issues.

My mechanical knowledge runs as far as watching youtube videos and scouring forums so I apologise if this all sounds really amateur Very Happy
Beginning to think I should cash in some savings and holiday days and go for a proper license, get a 300/400cc. I'm 6ft3 and 17stone so the 125 wasnt exactly the perfect choice anyway....

Thanks all, great to hear any opinions and advice. Also if anyone is selling any decent machines in Leeds let me know!!

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:29 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You paid dealer prices for a reason, get it back to them and get them to sort it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: First bike rip-off? Suzuki 2008 GN125 Reply with quote

Merce101 wrote:
2008 GN125

Wow, and a grey import at that, given that Suzuki seems to have stopped importing it in 2001.

Merce101 wrote:
from a local dealership

Vince Candelin, by any chance?

Merce101 wrote:
i'm not sure if to just send it back and get my money refunded.

I am. You got mugged senseless on that. The only reason to pay dealer prices is to get your statutory rights. Running like a bag of spanners is a material fact which should have been disclosed, whether you asked or not.

Check your bill of sale. Does it perchance say "spares and repair only, not for road use"?

Merce101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:44 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will get on to them in the morning and see what can be done. Not worried that they wont accept it back just didnt want to sound daft if it was expected from a 10yr old bike (not fussed where its from as long as it works) or something that might clear up once I get it out on the road and clear the cobwebs out.

Definitely not spares or repair, category C etc. so guess the ball will be in their court in regards to collecting it and checking it over.

Thanks!

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, hello and welcome!

Secondly, If I were you I wouldn’t be too hasty rejecting the bike, rather I would give them one opportunity to fix the problem and one only. If it wasn’t fixed properly first time around, I’d then reject the bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:32 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000rpm is too low. Get the bike real warm and put it to 1400ish. Like real warm, 15 mins ride or something before you consider touching it.

But yeah, I'd be dealer bound if you paid dealer prices (you did, its part of the process of getting that 'rele gud warunty' i'm afraid.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:31 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2006 GN125 that was another Chinese special.
My engine was tapping away like mad, turned out the cheap Chinese metal in the engine wore down the rockers and my piston was slapping.

Luckily a proper Japanese GN125 engine from an earlier bike fits right in and takes about 2 hours to swap. I paid £150 for a complete engine and had it done in no time. (This was the first job I ever did on a bike).

All is not lost, but let the dealer sort it first. I'd ask him to source an earlier Jap engine and fit that though. I'd never trust the Chinese version again after having mine apart.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:48 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
let the dealer sort it first.

"Funny".

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:06 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've put "let the dealer attempt to sort it" I suppose. I've never had to deal with stealers so I'm not sure if that's asking too much.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly back to dealers as you have paid premium price for that bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP hasn't been seen since. OP is buried under garage forecourt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:20 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
OP hasn't been seen since. OP is buried under garage forecourt.

Yup.

He’s currently tied to a chair in Vince Candelin’s basement whilst wearing a gimp suit.

Merce101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:21 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Still here Very Happy

Dealers wanted me to return the bike to look over it and not planning on taking my CBT until the snow definitely fecks off so that was a no go.

Did alot of reading and swapped out the carb (£16 knockoff version) and its running like a dream. Decent spark plug, new filters, oil and a good clean and its perfect. Given me something to do too!

Just need to find some tyres that fit and dont look like absolute toss.... Will post in the Workshop.

Thanks all - valuable lesson learnt about shopping around I guess.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:38 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, glad to hear that you got it sorted.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:37 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merce101 wrote:
Just need to find some tyres that fit and dont look like absolute toss....

I'd rather they looked shit and worked than looked good and allowed me to slide under a bus... but your feelings for BDSM are probably stronger than mine.

Merce101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:19 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping I can get some that tick both boxes to be honest!

In regards to the BDSM I'd try anything once but I can shout "PINEAPPLE" all I want as im skidding down the road on my head but a safeword wont save me Wink

No matter how you look at them these dont look safe...
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/road-tyres/pirelli-city-demon-motorcycle-tyre-2
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1