Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going up 2 on the main jet as a last resort Z500b

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dabura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Going up 2 on the main jet as a last resort Z500b Reply with quote

The z5 hasnt been running right so stripped the carbs(tk22s) down for a nice clean. Went to put them back together and snapped the main jet Brick Wall

After 2 hours searching i can find a replacement #90 on its own and all the replacement kits have a #92 main jet in them(for the kz550) it doesnt help that i dont have a proper part number, its 92063-xxxx

So would going up and putting #92 mains in all four carbs be a bad idea? Its all standard except for a aftermarket pipe which is no way performancey.

Any help appreciated

Present: Kawasaki Z500-B

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:29 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you get smaller ones and drill them out (you can buy jet drills)?

Although going up 2 probably isn't the end of the world on a bike of that era.

That said, even wemoto are listing #92 jets for your bike. Sure it's supposed to have 90s in it?

The best bit will be when you find it was running badly because of a poor coil earth or similar.

Dabura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:43 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coils were brand new when the bike was rebuilt last year as were the plugs leads and caps.

buying smaller wouldn't be a bad idea however teikai jets seem few and far between

i looked at the wemoto listing amongst others and they all have 92 - 94 mains which is for the 550 and 550-d flicking through KZ riders boards 90 is the right size. the 550 was the main model so there is an abundance of spaces but the 500 was only made for 3 years. even seen the 92s marked as replacements for the z400 which i cant believe.

how difficult would drilling out a smaller jet be? would it be worth fitting 92 and sticking a free flowing filter in and/or modifying the pipe or would i need bigger pilots,needles and even more cocking around.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:34 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect #90 to #92 to be within the margin of manufacturing error, fuel quality[*], altitude, air temperature, humidity and density.

Carbs aren't an exact science, and I'd rather be running a touch rich than too lean.

[*] Designed for (e.g.) leaded 2 star, running on some ethanol secret-sauce.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:14 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Initiates badly dubbed lip-synch*

Of all the styles, my google-fu is the most powerful.

https://www.motorradbay.de/kym01bxxx-c-207_312_315-6.html

Dabura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
*Initiates badly dubbed lip-synch*

Of all the styles, my google-fu is the most powerful.

https://www.motorradbay.de/kym01bxxx-c-207_312_315-6.html

https://i.imgflip.com/182q34.jpg

Thank you very much Mr stinkwheel. Your Google-fu is indeed the most powerful.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1