Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kegs of beer, flatness if not consumed in one session?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets a little bit confusing, I was drinking Budvar, someone getting a round in asked for 'a bud' and came back with a tiny little bottle of the weak American stuff Crying or Very sad That's another reason I like Budvar, it came in 500ml bottles.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It gets a little bit confusing, I was drinking Budvar, someone getting a round in asked for 'a bud' and came back with a tiny little bottle of the weak American stuff Crying or Very sad That's another reason I like Budvar, it came in 500ml bottles.

500ml is pretty much the standard for bottled beer here (not sure about UK). In pubs you get standard glass (500ml), small (333ml), double (1L). British pint being 568ml.

Also, when buying bottled beer and kegs, you only buy the beer. You ''pay a deposit'' for the container (bottle/keg). When you return them, you get the ''deposit'' back. In Germany, for instance, they even have this with beer and soft drink cans.

Beer bottles and kegs are washed and used again, the cans go straight to a recycling facility.

*Educational stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_glassware#Capacity

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to rely on Blue Peter...

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/Guardian/media/gallery/2008/nov/06/bbc-television/1998schoolsappeal-5056.jpg?w=1225&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=d1ce3981da1f0cd6c49c623d86903149

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

s for the Land of Beer, the actual owner of the Budweiser Budvar brewery (the very last state brewery in the country).O

hows that work then Confused

is it owned by the government or something

over here we have hundreds of breweries selling proper beer

not the girly pop type stuff that's fizzy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

s for the Land of Beer, the actual owner of the Budweiser Budvar brewery (the very last state brewery in the country).O

hows that work then Confused

is it owned by the government or something

over here we have hundreds of breweries selling proper beer

not the girly pop type stuff that's fizzy Very Happy Very Happy

Yep, the owner is Czech Republic. The revenues are part of the Czech state budget.

What is proper beer and what is not is questionable. Our breweries mostly brew Pilsner type of beer and its variants. Pilsner, from the town of Pilsen (CZE). Being fizzy, well that's just how Pilsner type is. The beer is not additionally carbonated.

It's mostly a question of beer culture in various regions of Europe. The English warm stale style of serving is something we, people of the Land of Beer, would consider odd. The same goes for the Polish style of serving where they add fruit juice when serving a beer. The Belgium fruit beers are also something people here would think is odd. And I could go on.

We have about 400 breweries in our small country. Most of them do make 10° and 12° Pilsner type, but there are also some crafty people that would make stronger beers and even experiment with fruit, honey and so on. In the recent years, unfiltered and unpasterizated beer got quite popular. Even the big breweries make these.

But these are called ''specials''.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 13:37 - 14 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
M.C wrote:
I might have to try it. Budvar's much nicer than regular budweiser, and a bit stronger Wasted You used to get it everywhere and it was quite cheap too, now its gone back to a bit of a niche beer so is quite expensive Sad

Regular budweiser? Thinking

Yes, the one most people think of when you say "Budweiser".

https://279173f3.nuajik.io/587-large_default/budweiser-beer-bottle.jpg

Also, does your keyboard have some kind of find-replace setup? Can it not type "Czech Republic" - it always seems to come out as "land of beer", even in posts with nothing to do with beer.

Just curious. I mean, "land of beer" is just so ambiguous. Germany? Britain? Ancient middle eastern Asia? Egypt?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Yep, the owner is Czech Republic. The revenues are part of the Czech state budget.

As an older man it will always be Czechoslovakia.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

As an older man it will always be Czechoslovakia.

Which bit of the group of countries that were previously referred to as Czechoslovakia do you put that name to?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Also, does your keyboard have some kind of find-replace setup? Can it not type "Czech Republic" - it always seems to come out as "land of beer", even in posts with nothing to do with beer.

Just curious. I mean, "land of beer" is just so ambiguous. Germany? Britain? Ancient middle eastern Asia? Egypt?

See the darkest point on the map:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Beer_Consumption_by_Country.svg

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita

But really, I just use the Land of Beer for the ''fun'' of it. Many already know, others don't care and you are the first one to ask.

I also have it in my profile and under the ''Occupation'', I typed: 1939-1945, 1968-1989.

*Fun fact: Before recently (I'd have to google the year of the gov's decision), beer was the cheapest option of any beverages in most of the pubs in the country. It was even cheaper than having a glass of mineral water.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I can't believe those figures are correct!
I am obviously associating with the wrong sorts in the US or, more likely, was associating with the wrong sorts in the UK!!! Laughing
Maybe the costs of beer in the UK have driven down its consumption in very recent years???

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:28 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he Belgium fruit beers are also something people here would think is odd.

Is this similar to different flavored Kopperburgs but with beer instead of cider? If so I wouldn't mind trying some. Very Happy Laughing

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:11 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

I can't believe those figures are correct!
I am obviously associating with the wrong sorts in the US or, more likely, was associating with the wrong sorts in the UK!!! Laughing
Maybe the costs of beer in the UK have driven down its consumption in very recent years???

It does seem quite low. People in the UK drinking 2-3 (euro) pints a week on average? I do that on a monday lunchtime (student).

Even 150L/yr is only 1 (euro) pint a day. Seems very low, although I guess old people and women generally drink less. Plus it might be done per capita, in which case those under 18 would (theoretically) skew the data.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:49 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnuckleShot wrote:
Quote:

Is this similar to different flavored Kopperburgs but with beer instead of cider? If so I wouldn't mind trying some. Very Happy Laughing

I haven't been in for a few years, but there is a bar in Sheffield called Bungalows and Bears that did Belgian Fruit Beers. It was a bit strange to start off with, but it was very nice.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 18:09 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnuckleShot wrote:
Quote:

No it’s not really like kopparberg, if you go to your local large supermarket you can actually pick up kreik or framboise which are cherry and raspberry respectively it’s usually the Bacchus ones which are wrapped up in paper. These would very much be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to weird and wonderful beer. I have recently been drinking such delights as omnipollo NOA which is a pecan mudcake stout of about 11% abv Shocked plus many others that are just too convoluted to list.

Czech Republic may call itself the land of beer but it is a lot of the samey type lager types - nothing wrong with that they produce some good ones and some Brighton pubs are now adopting the tank style I saw and drank in Prague but in terms of types of beer we produce over here it’s just so much more varied.

Even the yanks are catching up and creating some really interesting brews.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Even the yanks are catching up and creating some really interesting brews.

https://youtu.be/1-GEFfrPnak?t=1s

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:49 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

No it’s not really like kopparberg, if you go to your local large supermarket you can actually pick up kreik or framboise which are cherry and raspberry respectively it’s usually the Bacchus ones which are wrapped up in paper

Sound interesting. Will definitely give the above a try!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2