Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MAG meets Transport Chair at Greater London Authority

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:24 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: MAG meets Transport Chair at Greater London Authority Reply with quote

To avoid any appearance of negativity, I haven't even read this before sharing it:

MAG wrote:
PR 2017 01 16
News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

MAG meets Transport Chair at Greater London Authority

This version: 2017 01 16

Embargo: IMMEDIATE

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) met the Chair of the Greater London Authority (GLA) Transport Committee, Keith Prince, to begin a serious dialogue about the future of motorcycling in London.

MAG’s Chair, Selina Lavender, and London Rep, Tim Fawthrop, met GLA Transport Committee Chair, Keith Prince, in a high-level meeting to discuss the Committee’s attitude and approach towards motorcycle and scooter use in the city. The meeting, held on 10th January 2018 at the GLA’s City Hall headquarters, covered a number of policy areas which have been of major concern to MAG in recent months. MAG’s Director of Communications and Public Affairs, Lembit Öpik, was also there to support the delegation.

Selina observes: ‘we covered four key areas of work with Mr Prince. These were bike-related crime, secure parking, charging riders for using the roads and the case for promoting motorbikes as a net reducer of congestion and pollution. As Keith himself is a rider, it made him easy to talk with and meant there was little need to explain the benefits we all get from the freedom of two wheels. This enabled us to focus the meeting as he could see our viewpoint. Keith was most supportive of riders and I look forward to MAG maintaining an open dialogue with him and the GLA.’
As a specific next step, MAG will be providing some detailed technical information to justify the benefits that motorcycles bring to the city in reducing congestion and pollution, as well as increasing mobility for less wealthy citizens.

Tim Fawthrop also raised the question of access to bus lanes. ‘We keep being told that Transport for London wants to enable motorbikes to use bus lanes across the city. Mr Prince was supportive of this, and gave us very good advice on how to proceed. The specific steps he proposed – and offered to support - really make sense. We’ve created a lot of work for ourselves in meeting the Chair of the committee, and this kind of investment will undoubtedly generate a much more powerful voice for the riding community in London.’

Contact MAG at 01926 844 064 or central-office@mag-uk.org

ENDS

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're talking to people who've already made their decisions. Just because they sat and smiled politely doesn't mean they took any notice. Khan wants to force as many people as possible onto public transport or bicycles. He wants his place in history as Londons' saviour and nothing's going to get in the way, least of all reason, logic or facts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have a 'MAG' thread?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Maybe only if Ste is rightfully ordained as Mod.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:54 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

MAKE me you FPOS. And just for that, you can have MMAGGAAgain.

https://i.imgur.com/x5FNWuF.png

Honestly, you don't have to read their stuff. I don't any more.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without you I'd never even known of their existence Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:58 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Without you I'd never even known of their existence Wink

Ignorance is bliss, and I hate it when humans are happy.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:33 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related:

MotorCycle Industry Association wrote:
London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s new transport strategy ignores the benefits of powered two wheelers and in doing so puts riders’ lives at greater risk.

Following a public consultation on the Mayor’s Transport Strategy, Transport for London (TfL) has decided to ignore the benefits of using powered two wheelers (PTWs). In doing so, it has placed the safety of hundreds of thousands of regular motorcycle and scooter riders at risk by disregarding calls to properly include them in London’s transport strategy.

In its war on motorised transport, TfL is lumping commuter motorcycles and scooters in with cars, taxis and construction traffic, despite the fact that PTWs significantly reduce congestion in the capital, take up less road space and are far less damaging to air quality.

Before Mr Khan was elected, he told rider groups and industry that: ‘It is absolutely right for us to enable PTWs to play their part in delivering a less congested road network’.

Since being elected, the Mayor has failed to translate that promise into his transport strategy. This will result in more misery for London commuters and other road users. Whether the Mayor likes it or not, motorised road transport will continue to be necessary for the day to day functioning of one of the world’s largest cities.

With an ideological approach towards cycling, he has reduced lane widths on several major routes making it difficult and more dangerous for PTWs to filter. He has thus far failed to orchestrate a consistent policy on bus lane access for riders and will not recognise that most small PTWs, of any age, already meet the ultra-low emission criteria and in turn support their use accordingly.

The Motorcycle Industry Association believes that congestion, air quality and rider safety can only be improved if the needs of this vulnerable user group are factored into road planning and transport strategy, in the way cycling is. This proposition is supported in an industry whitepaper.

CEO of the Motorcycle Industry Association, Tony Campbell, says:

“The Mayor clearly has his own agenda around motorcycles and scooters, which was not made clear to the riders who elected him following his promise to champion their contribution to reducing London’s congestion.

“At a recent meeting with the Motor Cycle Industry Association (MCIA), the Mayor said that he agreed PTWs had an important part to play. In doing so he also agreed to review his Transport Strategy, taking into account the feedback he had received during the consultation period. To quote Mr Khan: “I have read through the industry’s response to my Transport Policy Document and can say I agree with most of what you are saying, not all but most”.

“Given this statement, it is more than disappointing that the Mayor has decided to yet again ignore what is clear common sense for transport policy.

“The MCIA strongly urges the Mayor to take another look at his plans to not only fulfil his pre-election commitment to riders and London voters, but also to honour his words at the recent meeting with Industry.”

ENDS

For further comment contact the press office on 07590 168714 or email press@mcia.co.uk

Notes for Editors

See Transport for London’s summary of consultation findings here: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/policy/mayors-transport-strategy/?cid=mayors-transport-strategy
The Motorcycle Industry Association represents manufacturers, service providers and accessory and component suppliers for the UK’s motorcycle industry, and has road safety bodies and riders’ groups within its membership body. See www.mcia.co.uk
The whitepaper referred to in the release: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity can be read online here: https://www.motorcycleframework.co.uk/
The letter which Mayor Khan sent to a riders group can be dowloaded here: https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/a/a6/Sadiq_Khan_MP_2016_03_26.docx

ENDS ALL

Source..

Like MAG, they fell for Caliph Khan's soothing, meaningless face-sounds and have only just realised that he's been whispering sweet nothings while he screws them right up the tailpipe.

His dad was a bus driver, it's in the blood.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, I could swear they just said...

News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) wrote:

MAG says fond farewell to Val Shawcross

This version: 2018 05 11 Embargo: IMMEDIATE

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has expressed its gratitude for the progress made during the tenure of London’s Deputy Mayor for Transport, Val Shawcross, who has announced her decision to stand down from the post.
MAG’s Director of Communications & Public Affairs, Lembit Öpik, has offered his personal best wishes to Val Shawrcoss, who has headed up the Transport for London brief on behalf of the Mayor of London for two years.

‘Before Val, bikers had a hard time being heard in the Greater London Authority - or in TfL. It’s fair to say both relationships took a great leap forward during Val’s tenure, with the Easy Rider report clearly being a major progression in commitment to a sensible policy towards powered two wheelers. We’ve got various issues to resolve with the authorities in London, such as the unfair Ultra Low Emission Zone Charge and the lack of progress on dealing with motorcycle-enabled crime. However, we wouldn’t even be at the table if it hadn’t been for Val. On behalf of MAG, I’d like to extend a big thanks to her, and hope that we’ll get her onto a motorcycle again before long!’

Val’s role as Deputy Mayor for Transport is being assumed by former Member of Parliament Heidi Alexander, who is leaving her position as MP for Lewisham East. MAG is approaching Heidi to welcome her to the positon and to establish good relations with her from the start. ‘We don’t want to lose the progress we’ve established at this crucial time in London policy-making,’ adds Lembit. ‘There are some tough conversations coming up, and I’m confident we’ll be able to address these in the positive spirit of
cooperation which began with Val.’

A bunny-boiling anti-democrat. Best of luck, bikey bruvs. Pass the popcorn

I guess the bright side is that it's clear that Heidi isn't into cycling or walking, and does look rather like she fell off the back of a Harley. Then through a hedge, backwards.

And to be fair, MAG's effectiveness in London can hardly get worse, can it?

Before the usual "at least they're trying", if they want to get anything done, then they have to pay for it. That's how things work in the MunchKhan's London. Ask Uber.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1