BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any tips or advice for a new rider?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:14 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be that I hit the rum-and-ginger-beer as soon as I got in the door tonight, but... did Mike just make sense? Neutral

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:34 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've deleted it! Haha, I think it is better without!

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Meanwhile, IF you plan DAS anyway, why have't you done it?

I am aware that the test is pass or fail, but I must say that I do not filter on every ride nor do I even intend to filter on my test. I have not taken it yet as I do not want to. I will take it when I'm ready to and when I feel like I want to. As said I could take it now, but I want to brush up on certain skills. I am not a poor rider. Again I know that filtering is not needed on the test, and I will filter when I feel like it its sensible and safe to do when alone.

What will help me pass my test is time out on the bike, like I am currently doing, and practicing. I posted this topic to gain an insight into filtering methods and peoples opinion/advice - doesn't mean I'll take the advice to heart!

Last edited by Sweetpeabike on 20:04 - 15 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:01 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Sweetpeabike resize that avatar Tut Tut

- No wider than 80 pixels
- No taller than 100 pixels

How is this! Very Happy Better I think

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It might be that I hit the rum-and-ginger-beer as soon as I got in the door tonight, but... did Mike just make sense? Neutral

Nice mix, I haven't tried that one myself, but curious now! I normally have rum and coke myself - 3 is enough thou Laughing I think so..

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road position
It can depend on the situation but generally I prefer to keep to the right (or position 3 in instructor parlance) for two reasons; drivers are more likely to check their wing mirror than their rear view mirror, and it allows me to check for filtering opportunities.

On one of my first journeys into Portsmouth I was in the centre of the lane and then the idiot infront of me decided to reverse towards me so that he could park despite the fact that we were going under a bridge with double yellows. At that time I hadn't developed the muscle-memory to quickly find my horn but fortunately the drivers behind me saw what was happening and sounded their horns, stopping the car in time. Moral of the story: assume that drivers don't have rearview mirrors.

I'd use the centre position of the lane if there's no vehicles directly infront of me as it gives me more time to react to oncoming traffic drifting into my lane to overtake.

Filtering
Eeh as others have said you don't need to filter in a test situation but if you want to practice for general riding purposes then just do with what you feel comfortable with. At the moment I don't filter unless there's space for a couple of Goldwings, but that's because I'm not a commuter rider so I've got the time and patience to sit around. Having said that, I am growing more confident.

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:43 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
Road position Eeh as others have said you don't need to filter in a test situation but if you want to practice for general riding purposes then just do with what you feel comfortable with.

Sounds like a close call in Portsmouth. I live in Portsmouth currently and some of the drivers are careless, especially the taxi's. I haven't ridden from Romsey to Portsmouth yet, but I've got half way! Hoping to get there soon, one of many I'd like to reach! I get the occasionally tailgated even in traffic, which confuses me as it can be seen ahead that I cannot go anywhere or speed up!

Regarding the filtering, I do filter for general riding purposes, but mainly when comfortable. Southampton is a bit mad during rush hour and wouldn't bother in certain places, if at all depending on the time and weather.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
Road position Eeh as others have said you don't need to filter in a test situation but if you want to practice for general riding purposes then just do with what you feel comfortable with.

Sounds like a close call in Portsmouth. I live in Portsmouth currently and some of the drivers are careless, especially the taxi's. I haven't ridden from Romsey to Portsmouth yet, but I've got half way! Hoping to get there soon, one of many I'd like to reach! I get the occasionally tailgated even in traffic, which confuses me as it can be seen ahead that I cannot go anywhere or speed up!

Regarding the filtering, I do filter for general riding purposes, but mainly when comfortable. Southampton is a bit mad during rush hour and wouldn't bother in certain places, if at all depending on the time and weather.

Aye it was at the rail bridge just outside Portsmouth & Southsea station. The furthest I've gone without a satnav is Poole. It was a pain to get through Southampton (not least having to see it Razz) but after that it was a nice long road through the New Forest.

If you're confident that you're at the speed limit (as in it's not a problem with your speedo) then it's the tailgater's problem if you're in the way. Although I know it can be daunting at times because, to paraphase a Cracked article, "being tailgated is much more threatening because on a bike you neither have a tail nor a gate."

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:34 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
I have not taken it yet as I do not want to.

What you need is a tactical size ten up your posterior!
You don't 'want' to take the test..... 'yet'. Rolling Eyes
If you dont have confidence you can pass tests... then you need lessons, or you need to get the heck off the road befoe you get hurt.
If you DO have confidence you can pass test, cut the crap, go take them!
You are not doing yourself ANY favours prevaricating, finding EXCUSES!!!

If its a matter of money?
Well, biking is expensive.. so if you cant afford the lessons and DAS, can you afford to get a licence at all? Or afford to run a bike, any bike, let alone a big one that uses twice as much petrol, and scrubs out expensive tyres at an alarming rate of knots!!

Meanwhile, You DO have a 125, and you COULD do an A1 tests, for £80 or so, and not have to find the big money for a course, and that would at least tell you, pretty unequivocally, that you have what it takes.... and you get a full licence for it.... all-be-it you'd have to re-do, but probably without spending SO much on a full course, to re-do on a bigger bike for unrestricted A....

OR you FAIL... and examiner will tell you what you need 'brush up on' rather than guessing!!

Here and ow, you are looking for reasons to NOT do anything, not reasons to do something, and finding ever more to fret about and give yourself even more reason for NOT doing than doing.

Strategic Size Ten! GO talk to Pinky, Go book a course; go book some tests, ONE way or tother, stop prevaricating, go get on with it! OR hang up your hat, and get off the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:13 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no benefit from putting off doing your tests.

You are going to have to pay for DAS training sooner or later so just get it out the way.

Then you can do all the practicing you want and you can get a big boys bike rather than wobbling around on a 125 with L plates on.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Did you really read a TEF post to find out Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:09 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Did you really read a TEF post to find out Shocked

If I had, why would I be asking?

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Ah, that's more like it.

OP, I apologise on Mike's behalf. He's an instructor, in the same sense as Adam Aarons is an inventor.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:27 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would trust Teffers to instruct more than I'd trust Adam to invent. Razz

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:52 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Sweetpeabike wrote:
I have not taken it yet as I do not want to.

You don't 'want' to take the test..... 'yet'. Rolling Eyes
If you dont have confidence you can pass tests... then you need lessons, or you need to get the heck off the road befoe you get hurt.
If you DO have confidence you can pass test, cut the crap, go take them!
You are not doing yourself ANY favours prevaricating, finding EXCUSES!!!

So you've assume my ability from never seeing me ride and base them on what I've said. Also this topic is actually about filtering advice, not haggling the OP to take their DAS sooner. I am happy with my plan and your welcome to your opinion, but I will be taking my test in spring. Regardless of what you say or have assumed, it will make zero difference to my action. I'm not a poor or dangerous rider!

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:05 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

Aye it was at the rail bridge just outside Portsmouth & Southsea station. The furthest I've gone without a satnav is Poole. It was a pain to get through Southampton (not least having to see it Razz) but after that it was a nice long road through the New Forest.

Oh I know that bridge, it is very close to where I live currently. It is awful bridge, it's likes a semi give way junction, but not really at the same time haha. Brave, but fun I bet! I haven't explored the New Forest yet, want to and to be fair it's more exciting with another rider! Southampton is a bit of a nightmare, but good to learn in. I may venture out to the Forest this weekend if the weather is nice Smile

The speed I was during was fine, just Mr VW being inpatient due to traffic I think, and being a plank haha.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:36 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
So you've assume my ability from never seeing me ride and base them on what I've said.

Assumed your ability based on the fact you've got L plates on your bike.

You're wobbling around with your L plates and convincing yourself not to bother doing your test yet.

Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:26 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ironical part is that Tef got his "licence" by dint of riding round the block without the fag falling out of his mouth.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:36 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
So you've assume my ability from never seeing me ride and base them on what I've said

Curiously, have made no assumptions of your riding ability.

But you have......
Sweetpeabike wrote:
I'm not a poor or dangerous rider!

So, step up to the mark and prove it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:58 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
So, step up to the mark and prove it!

What road riding tests can you prove that you've passed?

Sweetpeabike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:01 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Sweetpeabike wrote:
So you've assume my ability from never seeing me ride and base them on what I've said.
You're wobbling around with your L plates and convincing yourself not to bother doing your test yet.

Yes because all learner motorcyclist are wobbling over the road!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:18 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
Yes because all learner motorcyclist are wobbling over the road!

We scare because we care abuse to amuse.

It's all well intentioned, even Tef's abusive hectoring deranged rants.

Thing is, back in the day (my day, not Tef's day) tooling around on a 125 made sense since you could do your tests on it and get a proper licence that way (eventually).

Now, you're really just delaying the inevitable of handing over mad wodge to a training school to have someone Tef your ears off. It does make sense to do that sooner rather than later, so that you can take advantage of any quirks and remnants of useful advice that they happen to impart.

Did I already suggest in this thread that you go and do mod 1 on your own 125? If not, I'll suggest it now. It won't get you closer to a full licence, but it only costs £15.50 to get real world practice and convince yourself that there's nothing really to it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetpeabike wrote:
I will be taking my test in spring.
I did the same thing and got roasted here for my plan.

The way I saw it, there was no point booking a test when there was a high chance of bad weather and thus unsuitable road conditions.
No point in taking a test with chances of ice on the road and it being pissing down with rain, even if you feel you can ride fine in bad weather, why make it harder on yourself, right?

I had ridden plenty beforehand and passed my test in the spring with 0 faults. It was a nice and clear day.

Do as you want and stick to your spring test, there is no rush unless you make it one.

Good luck passing Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The ironical part is that Tef got his "licence" by dint of riding round the block without the fag falling out of his mouth.

Actually if my notes are correct he was one of the pioneers of the 'pursuit test'.

Sweetpea if it helps I got the same lecture Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:59 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Actually if my notes are correct [Tef] was one of the pioneers of the 'pursuit test'.

Did the examiner get away, or did Tef catch him and impart some tips?

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The way I saw it, there was no point booking a test when there was a high chance of bad weather and thus unsuitable road conditions.

While I agree that there's no rush, I would point out that this is Britain and thus expecting there to be perfect wheather in any month is a gamble. Wink

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Actually if my notes are correct [Tef] was one of the pioneers of the 'pursuit test'.

Did the examiner get away, or did Tef catch him and impart some tips?

"I saw it as less of a test and more of a confirmation of my excellence"
-Jeremy Clarkson
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2