Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Croydon Cruise Control

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Croydon Cruise Control Reply with quote

Council to launch High Court legal action in bid to stop 'dangerous' Croydon Cruise

Basically, biker rode all the way off this mortal coil in July, and the authorities finally decided the something must be done about illegal street racing.

My question is, if you wanted to be dead cool and go street racing … what the hell is the attraction of anything calling itself the 'Croydon Cruise'?! Is this officially the crappiest meet-up name ever?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there I was thinking that street racing was already illegal. Confused

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the lazybastarts we have in governance who cum up with these 'solutions'.
If there were more cops there may be less nonsense.

Or something.

More cops aye means less fun though. Sad

Nail the culprit/s.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread was going to be along the lines of a Croydon Facelift.. but for bike cruise control (cramp buster)

Sad

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:16 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I live in croydon so well aware of how this happened and how the organizers followed up on it. they didn't have a designated right of way (as in only go forward on the left side like you do on a road) and two riders collided due to this.... following this i saw a post on their instagram page where they now made this "rule" to avoid it happening again......

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
.... following this i saw a post on their instagram page where they now made this "rule" to avoid it happening again......

Unlikely the same two people would hit each other again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Complaints have also been lodged about the noise created by stereos in cars at the race.

Sad

Crying or Very sad

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F--Cvv7WPLfwo%2FT-5Rv-x_pHI%2FAAAAAAAAASs%2Fy56HgawvcNI%2Fs1600%2Fsad-emoticons6.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F--Wg4KCqOUh0%2FTmWOKWEU8qI%2FAAAAAAAAAMk%2Fu54wOelZ1Cw%2Fs1600%2Fsad-crying-l.png&f=1

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:14 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Croydon Cruise Control Reply with quote

6R4H4M wrote:

My question is, if you wanted to be dead cool and go street racing … what the hell is the attraction of anything calling itself the 'Croydon Cruise'?! Is this officially the crappiest meet-up name ever?

It sounds like the kind of thing you'd come home from with a sore bottom and flecks of jizz all over your spectacles.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the High Court went ahead with the injunction to "clamp down on cruising" chortle

Makes it easier to fine the naughty boys loadsamoney if the police catch them. Doesn't make them any easier to catch though, if they keep unsportingly fleeing without helmets or number plates Confused And I expect fines are means tested, and won't actually mean much. But hey, Something Had To Be Done apparently.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:25 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Does the Chelsea Cruise still happen?.

Used to up there a lot in the mid 80's to mid 90's.Always had a good turn out of bikes and cars.Used to hammer down the M4 to there from Heston Services.

God the Chelsea cruise. Now that brings back some memories. Me in my 'souped up' Golf GTI, my mate in his Beetle and his brother in his MG turbo used to meet up in Croydon and then smash it up to the cruise with our happy hardcore blasting out. Get into the park, do some revving, then queue up around the half circle, up to the lights, turn around and fast as you can back down. Not clever, not sensible, but I was 19 and lived life in the fast lane. Thankfully no bad came of me - I saw some pretty hoffific crashes up there and plod started to come down hard on us all towards the end. Can't remember the last time I went, but was a number of years back. They were tugging everyone for a missing number plate screw, where is your insurance for all these modifications sir etc etc. It had all but fizzled out I think. Whether it has made a resurgence I don't know. I would love to know what happened to the guy in the BMW 3 series convertible who was doing doughnuts in the middle of the embankment with a bottle of vodka in his hand - sped off with a few blue lights in his mirror.

I have a video somewhere that I took. Might have to see if I can dig it out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 105 days between these two posts...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:34 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP (or the closest hit I could be bothered finding).

17 convictions for cruising in the Black Country, injunction extended.

No details on who or why. As oft noted, no-pursuit means they're going to catch a "convoy" of Eric and Edna on their Enfields rather than Daryyyl and his massive on their stolen unplated crossers.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know that the injunction bans speeding, racing and blocking a public highway. Because that's legal everywhere else...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruising? Isn't that where gay men drive along slowly looking for cottaging opportunities?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The injunction bans speeding, racing and driving in convoy, performing stunts and causing an obstruction on a public highway.
Right, so if two emergency vehicles drive together to the same incident they'll get nicked?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Cruising? Isn't that where gay men drive along slowly looking for cottaging opportunities?

As mentioned above, back in the 70s and 80s cruising was an essential part of the hot rod and custom car culture. You did get the odd burnout and V8 revving contest, but mostly it was about meeting up, showing off your wheels and being generally sociable.

Most big towns and cities had a custom car club and they would meet regularly (weekly or monthly) chew the fat at a given location for a while, then go for a cruise, either round the town, or to another location - one I often used to go on, met up in North Essex, then cruised down to Southend, mainly in a fairly sedate fashion.

Then (as also mentioned above) the Max Powah generation muscled in, were generally antisocial and fucked it up for everybody.

On the other hand, groups of bikers have always been twats, anyone who went to Chelsea bridge on a Saturday night in the 80s, will tell you that.

Pedestrians in the thousands spilling into the road, rolling road blocks creating gaps for bikes to wheelie/burnout/donut and then, once plod inevitably turned up, the race (and it was a race) to Heston services, where it all started again in the car park.

Not much different to the bikes screaming round the North Circ to/from the Ace in the 50s, only louder, faster and even more loutish.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1