Narrow Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted:
https://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/1986-Yamaha-SDR200-L-Rear-730x547.jpg

The MT-03's a short bike (in length) but heavy with wide bars. Another option:

https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/central/motorcycles/125cc/msx1252016/msx125_turn.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/c3.jpg

Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:04 - 29 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great thing about the Duke 390 is that when it gets stolen, you've got a fair chance of recovering it by simply running after them and waiting for it to cut out.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:48 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Smile

I actually like both of them. I'd love something like a Grom to potter about town on. I'll do some research.

I dunno why, but I've never liked KTM. That's from a very naive standpoint though. They look good, but I've read about lots of reliability issues.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kickstart only. Ain't nobody got time fo', etc.

Where's your sense of adventure?

The constant worry that the bike will start before your leg gives out, if it starts at all, and the lake of "easy start" you may need to invest in and wishing you lived on a hill for easy bump starts. The spice of life! Wink

I like kick starts, old time character and all that! Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:10 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Where's your sense of adventure?

Chennai.

It's nice to be able to choose to kick start a bike for maximum hipster cred, but I don't think I'd have one without an electric foot.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, my 350 was kick start only, once you'd developed a technique for getting it started, it usually started first or second kick

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the technique for not breaking your leg? Was watching something and a guy with a vintage Harley got a kickback or something Confused

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What's the technique for not breaking your leg? Was watching something and a guy with a vintage Harley got a kickback or something Confused

Couldn't tell you, was never an issue, got a kickback once or twice early on in my ownership of the bike, but once I'd perfected my technique, nevr got another kickback

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Don't want kickback, don't touch the throttle while you kick it.

Lesson learned, having stepped off a two stroke kick start only, 350YPVS, (where you wind the throttle on when you kick it), and moved on to a 600cc 4T single cylinder, I can tell you from experience you don't touch the throttle!

My SRX 600 is easy to kick start, choke on, fuel to prime, get it over TDC when the auto de-compressor clicks on, kick it slowly but a full swing, it starts first or second kick every time.

My XL125 on the other hand is a pig to start, it starts only if it feels like it, you can kick it for as long as your leg will last and it still might not start!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you need a bit of throttle to start a single? It's such an entrenched habit I start (non-singles) with a bit of a rev bomb Embarassed

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Don't you need a bit of throttle to start a single? It's such an entrenched habit I start (non-singles) with a bit of a rev bomb Embarassed

The bigger singles I've owned have all had a "prime" position on the fuel tap, so there should be enough fuel in the carb for the bike to fire, from cold!
With warm starts, normally "priming" isn't necessary, you still don't need the throttle!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:41 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Choke and tickle, but no throttle while you're kicking.

When I take my Enfield in for an MOT I have to remove the key so that the MOT Monkey doesn't try to start it up with any twisty-blippy foggitry, which is a guaranteed kick-back and sprag clutch frag.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Make the gateway bigger Thumbs Up

I have a similar problem, a bigger gateway into the garden helps quite a bit, can always get the turn into the garden.

here is a Zontes 125, the one I posted about buying and selling last year, had to take the bar ends off, but only because of the communal passageway gate, which is mine - and I could adjust, remove, replace that gate if I needed to

https://s20.postimg.org/mv2xdirp9/image.jpg

the passage is frustratingly narrow, most practical vehicle I kept in the garden was the PXR50cc scooter I bought from a BCF'er, I actually used that as local transport, had to remove the mirrors though

other bikes that I have gotten in and out, include Honda Superdream 250, that was a real squeeze, Honda CG125, and Honda CB200

I did look at at trying to get some sort of "easement" with property owners in next street they have a much wider passageway, and knock a dividing wall down and come in from the other side, but couldn't get anywhere with it

VanVan, CRF250L, Beta Xtrainer, non will fit with the standard bars anyway.

Can put most bikes in there without handlebars, okay for projects, but no use for anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus. That's narrower than my situation. But at the end of mine, there's a 90 degree turn in to the garden, which is even more annoying as the neighbour's gatepost and shed prevent it from being about a 20 degree angle. But they own the land, so there's really nothing I can do about it (unless he pops his clogs - which shouldn't be too long, then I can nick his shed and get my bikes through. Double-win.)
I'll post a picture the next time there's daylight and I am home.

Edit: In the meantime, have a Google Maps image. Because I could.

https://i.imgur.com/N4sicto.png

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:05 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Pegaso and a little CBR500R the Pegaso was a pain in the arse to move anywhere being so tall and wide, the Honda however, once the mirrors were folded in was easy to manoeuvre, if needed I could lift the bike using the rear grab handles and also it's a good trick to learn how to swivel a bike on the side stand if you want to get round a 90 degree bend or turning it around when you get to your garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWnf0niufk

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 07:59 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha SZR660 as mentioned.

Honda BROS, there is a 400 but would get the 650 over it. Very small bikes and very light. both very slim. GPZ500 was pretty slim as well, not the lightest though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:36 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to google, an R6 is 700mm wide. A Zontes monster is 780mm wide.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSX125.

They are tiny and look fun.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Narrow Bikes Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I'm hankering for another bike. But I don't want to go through the whole theft thing again. In order to reduce the risk, I'd need to keep it in my back garden. However, it's a very tight space to get it around there.
My 125s fit before (Zontes Monster and GN125) but my ER5, Burgman, and Pegaso couldn't. They were too wide. The Piaggio MP3 stood no chance.
So, I could get another 125. But I'd like to go bigger if possible.

What are my options? I'm guessing I'll be limited to something like a 250 or 300cc max, before they start getting considerably wider.
What about the road-legal motorcross-type bikes?

To clarify, it wasn't the handlebars that I struggled with. It was the general length and width of the bike. With the 125s, I could lift the backend if I came in at the wrong angle. But I couldn't do that with the larger capacity bikes. They just would not fit.

Honda MSX 125/Grom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2