Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Braided lines who?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Braided lines who? Reply with quote

Who do you use for braided brake lines? Does it matter as long as they conform to the relevant ISO standards?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:23 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEL Or Goodridge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i put HEL on my blade,didn't make any difference to the brakes but looked nice.

Last edited by Bikeless on 20:11 - 13 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got HEL on the Zed. Couldn't be arsed with the VFR, linked braking means too much faffing around.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
HEL Or Goodridge.

That ^^

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Venhill. Made quite a big difference on a DRZ, possibly due to aged rubber lines. Also had the side affect of ruining the rear brake as it was either on or off, fixed that with a new M/C off a Honda CRF.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, what drives everyone towards HEL/Goodridge over Venhill, Galfer, TRW, etc.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wafer_Thin_Ham"]Cool, what drives everyone towards HEL/Goodridge over Venhill, Galfer, TRW, etc.[/5quote]

I think it was price and availability for me.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VenhI'll are excellent quality, HEL a little cheaper, good quality and readily available. Their sizing isn't always right though so worth specifying what you need or sending them your old lines.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

El cheapo Cobra for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600-FX-F3-sport-98-04-2-front-over-mudgd-1-rear-Braided-Brake-Hoses/182038415549

Work just fine, not dead yet. Let you know if either of those points change.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ever replaced one brake line, I went for Goodridge, would do so again if I needed to replace.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:37 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hel, bacause they were 100% black and the smooth coating means they don't abrade stuff where they rub slightly

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
HEL a little cheaper, good quality and readily available..

Pretty much sums up why I got some HEL lines from eBay.
kgm wrote:
Their sizing isn't always right though so worth specifying what you need or sending them your old lines.

I bought the correct pack for my bike but when it was next MOT'd they mentioned that the lines were just about the minimum length allowable, i.e. they were close to tugging on the calliper when the front wheel was off the ground. Apparently it's not uncommon with other brands too. They're still on the bike, they were simple to fit, well made and look nice. They didn't make any noticeable difference to the braking or brake feel though, even on this 60k miler. Bit disappointing after reading all the hype about braided lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:06 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should negotiate a BCF discount for braided hoses from HEL or Goodridge.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Someone should negotiate a BCF discount for braided hoses from HEL or Goodridge.

What, are you not grown man or something? Does your mother know you do this ya piece a crap? Twisted Evil

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI HEL occasionally do 50% off deals.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whether or not you notice a difference depends On your original setup. I noticed a difference when I did the swap on my er6. The brakes weren't any stronger but they felt more precise and gave better feedback at the lever afterwards, and took a little less effort. I was happy with the difference. Moving to EBC HH sintered pads gave more bite.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEL for me - good prices, they look nice, and if you phone them up you get right through to someone who knows their stuff

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I think whether or not you notice a difference depends On your original setup. I noticed a difference when I did the swap on my er6. The brakes weren't any stronger but they felt more precise and gave better feedback at the lever afterwards, and took a little less effort. I was happy with the difference. Moving to EBC HH sintered pads gave more bite.

I put braided lines on my old KLE 500 and it made absolutely no difference, along with EBC pads they are by far the worst brakes I've ever used Laughing Braided lines can't solve bad brakes Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
HEL for me - good prices, they look nice, and if you phone them up you get right through to someone who knows their stuff

I first bought custom made braided hoses for my much modified Honda 750 back in 1981.
I also had Goodridge Aeroquip make me some hoses for the oil tank to crankcase fittings as well as for the customised oil cooler.These were more the clamp on fittings instead of the threaded type that are used nowadays.

More recently I bought HEL lines for the restoration of the FJ1200 because,as already mentioned,I was able to speak to someone who understood exactly what I wanted for not only the brakes but also the hydraulic clutch,as I was using different master cylinders for both.I measured exactly what I wanted and added a bit more just to be on the safe side and they fitted almost correctly.I only had to adjust the angle of the banjo a small amount for all three lines so that everything aligned how I wanted,a simple procedure for the HEL lines.

The other reason why I chose HEL was for the choice of colours not only of the lines but also the colour of the banjo fittings.

https://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w384/Rhencullen5/FJ1200/20160612_163836_zpstgwk7f5v.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1