Has anyone ever been blown off their bike by the wind

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

eifion wrote:

Grip the bike with your knees, keep your arms loose, and you'll see very little effect from the wind on the bike's course.

If it was windy enough to actually blow a bike over it'd be so windy you'd have trouble walking in it.

Coming home from BCF BBQ last year, rode through another storm that hit hardest on the high part of the M6 heading into Cumbria. I had trouble keeping the bike in lane at times, relaxed arms and gripping with the knees notwithstanding. Fortunately, there wasn't much traffic at this point, so I mostly stuck to the windward lane, but found it easier to allow the bike to be drifted into the middle lane in the stronger gusts from time to time. In fact, I couldn't physically keep in lane on a couple of occasions.

I think that kind of shows you can ride in wind that would blow a static bike over, and give you difficulty in walking a straight line.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gpz500 in strong winds did indeed seem sketchy. I never quite figured out why though but it always made the front end go nerve wreckingly light.

Thundercat on the m4 can just about stand up to strong gusts. Theres a flyover after junction 13 that can catch you out and blow you across 2 lanes if you're not careful

Wierdly, i find the faster i go the less affect the wind has one me. Like if i pootle at 70 i get knocked around a lot.. 95+ and i gets easier to manage but feels 100000000x scarier

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god yeah the M2 ... PROPER gusty ! Shocked Shocked

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:45 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Once, whilst riding on the inside lane on a motorway that was pretty empty, at speed, the bike was picked clean up off both wheels and unceremoniously dumped in the outside lane by a gust. :

Sorry but I'm calling bullshit on that one. The wind lifted you and the bike completely off the ground and dumped you 10ft away on the outside lane? I thought I was replying to BodyTard for a second there.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Once, whilst riding on the inside lane on a motorway that was pretty empty, at speed, the bike was picked clean up off both wheels and unceremoniously dumped in the outside lane by a gust. :

Sorry but I'm calling bullshit on that one. The wind lifted you and the bike completely off the ground and dumped you 10ft away on the outside lane? I thought I was replying to BodyTard for a second there.

All I can say is, it was a long time ago, must have been about '87, and that's how I remember it. I was riding a GSXR1100 on the M4, or might have been M5, heading from London down to Cornwall. There's a part on whichever motorway it was where it is cut through a hill, so you are protected from crosswinds through that bit. But when I came out the other side, what I described is what I remember happening. Sorry, no way to prove it, but then I'm not that bothered really. I do know that it scared the living bejaysus out of me, and the bike being picked up is what I recall now, otherwise I probably wouldn't remember anything about it at all.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that the year that Michael 'no chance of a hurricane' Fish was doing the weather?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been knocked over, but have been shoved from lane three to lane one on the M5, combination of fully faired two stroke and Oct 1987.

Gave up once at Metalbridge, just north of Carlisle, on the M6.
On a DR600 couldn't keep up any momentum, there were two artics on their sides on the southbound side.
Ground to a stop and hid behind a bit of armco, had to hold onto the bike, even though it was leaning into the wind, on the side stand, it was still going to blow over!

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:35 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly. Late 80s, couriering on my (then) XBR500, on the day when many lorries got blown over on various motorways (inc M40 near Stokenchurch a MAX coffee artic over on nits side). I went down from Oxford to the ind estate behind the Hoover building, and passing between some buildings got blown violently to the side. Also, both on the way down the M40 and on the way back I was having to ride almost at 45 degrees to stay on Going down, up Stokenchurch hill, there was a guy in a Luton van with his steering wheel turned quite a bit to one side to keep the van straight - his face was as white as a sheet and I could see his white knuckles gripping the steering wheel. Poor b@$tard.

But never been actually blown off. Must be a nasty experience. As said, big bikes appear to be less prone; lately, since being back on a bike (my current one is virtually a CM125C in size) I have been blown about quite a bit in high winds.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A few nearly-downs when stationary in urban canyons. This is why I lolol at fair weather heroes who assert that you don't need to be able to get a foot securely down.

Only bike I've dropped without assistance was the one I could flat foot. I'd pick tippy-toes over weight every time. Only time I've not commuted in on my bike (when available) was once during a storm (trees down etc.), I must be a fair weather biker Crying or Very sad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A66 Penrith to Scotch Corner I've been blown about a few times, and changed lane without meaning too.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:55 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower, heavier more powerful bikes are less likely to be affected. Big screens can be problems. Full tuck can reduce effect at speed. Overtaking lorries is one to watch even when wind speed is low. Looking at weather forecast is your first line of defence. Both feet down when stopping is advisable if you can reach! Sideways gaps on bridges etc can produce scary eddies - be ready. A lot of it is about risk assessment. Two wheels can be knocked off vertical for many reasons, not just wind. It's just part of riding - constant awareness of hazards but don't let it spoil the fun. Ride like f*** and think hard whenever you can......beats the onset of biking boredom! I passed my test nearly 50 years ago but still learn something new most days.

Riding a motorcycle is an exciting blend of the predictable and unpredictable! Very Happy

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've had many squeaky bum moments going over Rannoch Moor, especially where you pass Glen Etive. I've landed up on the wrong side of the road but never physically come off.

My GPZ500 was the worst in the wind, it seemed to push more against the bottom of the bike than the top, effectively making it turn into the wind. Very tricky to control.

I came back from Leeds when I bought my GPZ on one of the worst days in 2014, all the trains were down at that end due to the lines being blown over. I have never been that terrified in my whole life and it was the longest ride of my life, I think I permanently damaged my ears that days because of the wind noise was so bad as I didn't have any ear protection. Many time I was leaning over against the wind going in a straight line

At one point I had 2 lorry either side of me blocking the wind, I didn't dare turn my head but I'm sure they were purposely helping me out Smile

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:58 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never blown over but was stopped by the Police who had followed me for best part of 2 miles watching me sway from one side of the lane to the other fighting the wind

Stopped me and breathalyzed me as they were convinced I was drunk Rolling Eyes

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like quite a few on here, not blown off, but been shunted across lanes a few times. The VTX though, that was astonishing in the wind, no matter how bad it got, never felt like it was a problem on that.

Yesterday around Leicester, well, I guess roughly between north Coventry and Leicester, got pretty well buffeted on the RX-3. Got all the weathers yesterday, well, felt like it !!. It was still snowing when I left Wolves for Leicester, then, it dried out, until I got around the Leicester area, before the wind picked up, then, there was lovely when traveling between sites in Leicester, winter sun, and then on the way home, wind & then rain thrown into the mix !! Anyway I digress.

in short, not blown off, been pretty well buffeted though !!

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a Quasar flip on the Seven bridge in the 70s.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Watched a Quasar flip on the Seven bridge in the 70s.

And there's me thinking they didn't take off.

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever been blown off their bike by the wind Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
I thought I was a goner yesterday when I was going over the a12 flyover near Homerton Road in Stratford.

Does this ever actually happen?

i never been blown off by wind
but blown to next lane, yes, not in U.K. though
riding a VFR800 in Hokkaido, and i feel the wind slowing pushing me to the right lane

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been blown off the bike but I've had a few close calls over the decades. One of the worse places is Docklands London and the Wellesley road croydon.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:18 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly ride to kings lynn from home, I go via the b1145 through gayton. Before you read the old quarry lakes theres a raised exposed small stretch of road... No hedges just raised a good couple of feet above the fields...

Even in a slight breeze you feel it there... But yeah had a couple of moments on that stretch where a gust had me a good couple of meters off where i was...

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:36 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:
I find I'm most at risk from gusts at traffic lights. Scariest moment, however, was crossing the Humber Bridge, often windy and closed for high winds, this day it wasn't. The trick as eluded to above, is to just lean in and you are fine, however going between the great big stanchions you were suddenly in 'dead' air and no wind, I literally flew in the direction I was leaning. Then dramatically back the other way as I came out again.

I've had the same on the humber bridge the first time was really unnerving.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2