Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Product Bike Cover Feedback & Comments

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
JIGGINZ This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:18 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of bike lockers and small sheds already on the market, in different materials. What might be the advantage of one made in GRP? Would it be any cheaper? Any more secure?

I've bee using bike trailers for over 30 years. Axle placement of your mock-up looks far too far forward and would create too much nose weight to my sense of asthetic.

Plenty of bike trailers already on the market too. Why need semi-rigid caravan top?

Most popular these days are three rail, 2+1 arrangements that can take one, two or three bikes, depending on weight or needs.... Rigid top would beg a pretty big top to cover potentially three bikes... and would it be tall enough to take a full dress tourer with luggage, or a custom cruiser with sissy bar, or wide enough for a couple of wide bar MX or trails bikes?

What's wrong with a rain-cover properly strapped down. Means the trailer doesn't have to have the 'bulk' when not in use, and can be tipped on its side to park down the side of the garage when not in use.

As an engineer, I have to repeat Design 101 lesson; before asking why not, first ask why so. What 'problems' for which there isn't already a solution, are you exactly trying to solve here?

Oh, and no one can reply to your duplicate post in the for sale section....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:59 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
As an engineer

As you keep saying, unless you pass a test, you haven't proven anything.

So, can we see your engineering qualifications.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:33 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
As an armchair expert

Laughing now that's actually true
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did this guy get that miniature Pan European is the real question here. Shocked Sooooo cute. Wub

Looks to me like the guy is trying to cunningly combine needing the physical spare space a van would take up
to store the thing when it's not in use (So, most of the time then...) coupled with the driving on eggshells experience of
towing your own bike along behind you when it is.

I'm oot. I'll stick to vans.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sheds.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Bodyguard did a funny.

Regarding the trailer thing - meh. I can see it being useful if you're off on your holidays and want to take the bike with you. But we already have trailers for that. The only advantage to this one is that it's covered.
I certainly wouldn't leave my bike in this and leave it on the drive. It'd be far too easy for someone to hook up to a car and drive off.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was a full size Pan, the trailer would be huge Shocked

In reality the only use I can see is towing a small bike behind your Winnebago on holiday and Brit's don't seem to do that too often.

So, it's either a basic trailer to go to track days, off road and the like or a van to safely transport a bike in any other circumstance.

Considering it will be stupidly expensive I can't see any point at all.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, ignoring the trailer mounted version, for those who live in rented accommodation where they can't make any physical changes to the property, I can see this would potentially have a use, and should be more secure than say a tent like cover or just normal bike cover..

As to the trailered version, I think that would only cater for a very niche market, in an already relatively niche market !!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:10 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
can't make any physical changes to the property

Apart from solid anchor points at front and rear for the hinge and shackle.

Bike sheds already exist, and could also be removed at the end of a tenancy:

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-garage

Given that a one-size GRP cover will have to be actual-sized to a Pan Euro or foggit cruiser, plus extra room for when you swing it open, I can't see what advantages it offers over a shed.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Yes, I know, but it provides an alternative option, I would recommend the Asgard products, I have one of their secure metal bike sheds for our push bikes ..

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/large-metal-bike-shed

But, dependent on the price, it is something that is worth considering.

However, there's really only 1 thing you should do with a wooden shed, and that's turn it into a pub !! Smile. But, that's for another thread, however, here's a taster ..

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/dsc_6352.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1