Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First big bike for commuting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: First big bike for commuting Reply with quote

Hi Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum to post this,
Im sure this has been asked a million times before but:
I've got my full licence after 8 years of 125's and want a big bike primarily for commuting to work but also one that is fun.
I will be getting a 2k loan to buy the bike so want something I won't be bored of for a few years.
I like the cbr600's but are they good for commuting and what are the maintenance costs like?
I have don't bits and pieces to the 125's I've had so can probably do basic bits but are tires etc too costly for this to be practical?
I'm not that tall so I know that will rule some bikes out straight away.
Also what mileage should I look for on a second hand bike? I know service history is important but are there any other red flags to look for?
Thanks in advance[/i]

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:22 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: First big bike for commuting Reply with quote

CBR600F is a decent default choice. With regular oil changes they'll do hundreds of thousands of miles.

If you want one, there are no strong reasons not to get one (just keep an eye on the reg/rec).

A twin like an ER6F might cost a little less to run, or then again it might cost more if it needs any consumables replaced. At £2K budget you're starting to take that sort of risk. Condition is everything.

Personally, I'd have the twin. Others (who are wrong) will insist that only the top end rush of an IL4 will do. There's no right or wrong answer (I'm right), it's an entirely personal decision, so I'd urge you to test ride some bikes before deciding.

If you do go licence-happy and just buy the first CBR600F that comes up in budget though, it's unlikely to be a bad decision.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a nice R6 £1750, just saying!

I can honestly say though, with hand on heart, that it would be absolute rubbish for commuting, it doesn't like pottering about in town at all. It eats fuel like nobody's business and the exhaust is loud. Also everyone would think you were a boy racer. Thankfully my helmet hides my 51 year old face so no probs for me riding her like a ricer.

Whatever you do don't buy a CBR 650F, very cheap components, bad for corrosion. I got rid of mine after a few months from new.

Good luck mate.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CBR600F is a good choice. Better than the RR forn commuting IMO. Solid bikes and plenty good ones if you have a look about. A Yamaha FZS600 Fazer is probably a good choice too.

I'm with Roger on the twin thing though. I've been using an er6 for year round commuting for the last three years and can't fault it. The IL4 will be quicker on the open road but my commute is mostly about town and short stretches of dual carriageway and I find the er6 has a greater shove out of corners and roundabout's whereas the gsxr 750 I borrowed briefly was only fun higher in the rev range and I found it awkward around town. I also prefer the more upright seating position for commuting and it's got a low srat height which was ideal today when I had to paddle it through slush and ice half a foot deep to get out of my street.

Others will disagree of course. It basically comes down to personal preference. Condition of the bike is everything.

Last edited by kgm on 20:45 - 18 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, you've given me a bit to think about!
Much appreciated Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is your commute? Year round or summer only? Carrying stuff and clothes or just yourself?

There's a bit of difference between a fair weather 5 mile commute and a year round daily 100 mile round trip carrying loads of stuff that needs to stay dry. (the first might mean anything that takes your fancy, the second suggests something like a Dullville).

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commute is around 20 miles round trip and will be year round in all weather's, all I will be carrying is a backpack.
I've previously done the commute and further commutes on 125's but want the extra power.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:52 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
you've given me a bit to think about!

No need to over think it.

Find something 600cc+ with a riding position you can get on with, money in hand, give it a thrash, if you like it fill in the V5C.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a nice 2001 sv650s for just under 2k, bright yellow, sports exhaust and says service history but I'll check if full.
Thanks to all for the advice Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I've been using an er6 for year round commuting for the last three years and can't fault it. The IL4 will be quicker on the open road but my commute is mostly about town and short stretches of dual carriageway and I find the er6 has a greater shove out of corners and roundabout's whereas the gsxr 750 I borrowed briefly was only fun higher in the rev range and I found it awkward around town. I also prefer the more upright seating position for commuting and it's got a low srat height which was ideal today when I had to paddle it through slush and ice half a foot deep to get out of my street.

Others will disagree of course. It basically comes down to personal preference. Condition of the bike is everything.

Personally I'll (hopefully) never have this oh it's a commuter attitude to bikes, commuting on 2 wheels is still fun for me, so a ER6 wouldn't do. I agree about riding position, not so much seat height although I like to be able to get both sets of toes down, as long as I'm not gonna fall over at traffic lights it's all good Smile

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you buy, I wouldn't have the "keep it for a good few years" mindset.

You can't know what you'll enjoy until you've tried a few bikes. Any big bike for £2K will have already done the bulk of it's depreciation, don't get ripped off and you'll sell it in a year for not much less than you paid for it.

A few years/bikes down the line you might be in a better position to buy a long term bike. Or you may keep switching and swapping, plenty of us do.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Personally I'll (hopefully) never have this oh it's a commuter attitude to bikes, commuting on 2 wheels is still fun for me, so a ER6 wouldn't do. I agree about riding position, not so much seat height although I like to be able to get both sets of toes down, as long as I'm not gonna fall over at traffic lights it's all good Smile

I have plenty fun on the er6, rarely drop behind mates on bigger machines when riding in the twisty parts of the highlands. It's a more involved ride because it makes going faster harder. There's better bikes for that, you street triple being one of them, but that doesn't mean the er6 can't be fun and it's a decent all-rounder.

MT10 I test rode ws an awesome machine but I didn't find it much more fun after I got over the initial reaction to the power. Tracer 900 on the other hand was ludicrously entertaining and I'm planning on adding one when I have the funds together and keeping the er5 for commuting. GSXR750 I borrowed for a while didnt do it for me either, only fun when you're screaming along and awkward about town so I got bored commuting on that. I was glad to be back on the er6 after that as it's so easy to throw around and is surprisingly peppy out of roundabouts and corners.

Basically it's all personal preference and sub litre IL4S just arent what works for me. I can find fun in most bikes though, love my mates Tuono twin and still enjoy my 125 in the right circumstances.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
Found a nice 2001 sv650s for just under 2k

Is it gold plated, with a diamond for a headlight?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Pricey. Reply with quote

+1, the last few sv650s models were punted out at around 4k. 2k for a 17 year old one? 'Commuter' bikes are pricey.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, we don't know how many anodised parts have been thrown at it.

They could even be blue.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k should get you 2010+

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
2k should get you 2010+

Eh, maybe. Prices have been edging up thanks to the 2007-2012 sales slump, thefts, exports and #BecauseBrexit.

Also, winter means fewer bikes for sale, and you're not going to bag a bargain if you dither.

But 2K for a 2001 SV650S is beyond laughable.

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
Found a nice 2001 sv650s for just under 2k, bright yellow, sports exhaust and says service history but I'll check if full.
Thanks to all for the advice Thumbs Up

i sold my 06 for more less the same price few years ago back in japan
i really should shipped it to UK when i sold it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a 2002 cbr600f, 28k miles full service history and lots done, going to see it and test on Saturday

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:22 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ever going into London? If so make sure you get a 2007 or later model.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:53 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru dat. It'll also ding the prices of pre-Euro 3 bikes in the Sarf East a bit once word gets out properly (we're a hidebound lot).

Oh, if the bike's still available on Saturday then it's not a bargain.

Hang on. 2002, 28K?

Dealer bike, £2,700.

F-sport (proto RR) dealer bike, £2,850.

Say it ain't so.

Nobody is going to gazump your dream bike maybe Paddy, so if you want to let us know where it's advertised, we can suck our teeth good and proper over it.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the location on Sunday Razz

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my wifes ER6 fun in small doses just trying to get it to go fast. That soon paled though. I would put an SV in the same class although I have never ridden one.

What about a 650 adventure bike. God for commuting and the riding position actually means you can hustle them along much faster than you would think.

Ah, no, fuck it. For the money you are talking there is only 1 choice, A Fazer. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:48 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
I'll post the location on Sunday Razz

Neat, then that's when we'll point out all the things wrong with the bike that you've just bought. Whistle

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save an extra £900 and get a GSX1250FA. Smile Yes I am biased.

Underpowered for its size (which helps you as a new rider)
Comes with full panniers and top box
small enough frame to filter easily
Loads of torque so remembering which gear your in isnt a problem
Looks good (allbeit that depends on personal preference)
Adjustable seat (I made mine higher as 6ft 2, you can lower it though)
Sports tourer so comfy riding position.

Can pick up a 2011 model for sub £3k

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3