Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2008 YBR 125 not starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: 2008 YBR 125 not starting Reply with quote

Just popped round to have a look at brothers ybr, it is a 2008 EFI model. when you try to start it the engine management light (orange)flashes repeatedly, does have a spark but just wont fire up, tried different plug, tried to bump it and kick it over without any luck.

anybody any ideas? Thumbs Up Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jamieward
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried putting abit of petrol down in the sparkplug hole mate might give it abit of luck and I allways though that the light comes on normally when the bike isn't ticking over
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:08 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamieward wrote:
have you tried putting abit of petrol down in the sparkplug hole mate might give it abit of luck and I allways though that the light comes on normally when the bike isn't ticking over

Not tried that yet, as i aint pissing around with his bike in the dark whilst he's at his mauds getting his nuts, il try that tomorrow.

when you first turn the key the orange light comes on (constantly lit) for about 5 seconds, during this point you can hear the electronic fuel pump buzzing. the light should go off after that.

When im trying to start the bike it comes on for the five seconds and whilst trying to start it turns over with light constantly flashing/pulsing.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the light flashes will be a fault code

How many times does it flash and in what timing?
Ie. pulsing slowly/quickly

I had that once..think it was just a knackered/low battery Thumbs Up
When it's too low the injectors can't work, FI madness

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
The way the light flashes will be a fault code

How many times does it flash and in what timing?

Ie. pulsing slowly/quickly

it flashes constantly very quickly whilst its turning over, once you let go of button it stops flashing.

Wonder if its a fuelling issue? i should of turned my ybr off whilst trying to start his to see if the pump is buzzing when ignition is turned on

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They whirr up loudly for a few seconds when you switch the ignition on (before starting the bike) and stop, if you've got a multimeter i'd test the battery voltage, YBRs hate having low power I swapped out for a motobatt was sweet as a nut then

if you've got two ybr's swap batteries and see what happens
I doubt it's fuelling tbh as the ECU does it all, if it is it's bad though

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

This could make sense, he only uses bike to commute to/from work (5 miles each way) and to his bints.

Il put my battery on it tomorrow and give that a whirl.
sorry about the 21 questions but i believe it runs the same engine as my 2012, but it has a kick start fitted. Do they run the same management as ive never had a problem with mine Confused

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_m wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

This could make sense, he only uses bike to commute to/from work (5 miles each way) and to his bints.

Il put my battery on it tomorrow and give that a whirl.
sorry about the 21 questions but i believe it runs the same engine as my 2012, but it has a kick start fitted. Do they run the same management as ive never had a problem with mine Confused

Even with the kick start it still needs the injectors running pumping fuel into the bike I think Thinking

Does it run by kick over? What happens then?
2012 doesnt have a kickstart? Bloody modern bikes Razz

My battery got fucked after crashing a few times, stopped holding it's charge, except with mine when you switched the ignition on the management light would be pulsing constantly (or the N light on chinese clocks)

Not managed to bump one either Evil or Very Mad

Turn the highbeam on and try the horn, does it sound weak?

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:25 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you try to kick it does the same, the light pulses constantly. The 2012 doesnt have a kickstart Sad , but it does have a big black grommet where the kickstart is on the 2008 one so im assuming one could be fitted (yam cutting costs ey Laughing ?).

I never tried using the rest of the electrics, as these stoopid ybr's dont have a headlight switch and full lights will only come on once the engine is started. Im gunna go round in morning and have a proper look, swap batteries over and check electrics etc.
Id ask my bro to help me but after the comment he gave me the other day i dont thinkso.
"I thought you switched it to high beam when it was night time so you could see easier, wondered why people have been flashing me for the last 6 months" .... what a bellend

gfrancisdev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for reference that bike will start without a battery if you kick hard/rapidly enough, though it's probably not too healthy, the rev counter goes nuts and the light barely works

though according to my haynes manual that's a ecu fault code, and is stored until the memory is cleared, the faults that won't let it restart are:
19-no signal from black/white wire between ignition and ecu
30-tip over sensor(triggered)
33-ignition coil
39-fuel injector
41-tip over(bad wiring/faulty sensor)
50-ecu malfunction

the light flashing pattern says which code it is, first number is long flashes, second is short

15 = 1 long flash, 5 short flashes

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:36 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfrancisdev wrote:
just for reference that bike will start without a battery if you kick hard/rapidly enough, though it's probably not too healthy, the rev counter goes nuts and the light barely works

though according to my haynes manual that's a ecu fault code, and is stored until the memory is cleared, the faults that won't let it restart are:
33-ignition coil
39-fuel injector
50-ecu malfunction

the light flashing pattern says which code it is, first number is long flashes, second is short

Thanks for that Thumbs Up will get it up on my phone when i have a look in the morning, il report back once ive had a nosey at it.

BG5067
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:24 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was at my local dealer a few months back someone had the same problem. I was paying attention fully but i remember them saying it means the bike isnt priming the fuel correctly or something.

I might be wrong.

Theory passed 17/01/2014. Mod 1 Passed 03/02/2014 (0 faults) Mod 2 10/02/2014 Passed (0 faults)

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfrancisdev wrote:

33-ignition coil
39-fuel injector
50-ecu malfunction

Bike is flashing 1 long flash and 9 short flashes. Code 19. Now im currently ripping the bike apart checking the black/white wire from ignition to ecu

gfrancisdev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

was thinking it might be that, a loose wire is probabaly more likely than all the others

smarjoram
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:23 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_m wrote:
gfrancisdev wrote:

33-ignition coil
39-fuel injector
50-ecu malfunction

Thanks for that Thumbs Up will get it up on my phone when i have a look in the morning, il report back once ive had a nosey at it.

where did you find the list of fault codes? I have the haynes manual but can't find them anywhere. I have a fault in my ignition circuit somewhere since scum ripped the battery off my bike Mad

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

smarjoram wrote:

where did you find the list of fault codes? I have the haynes manual but can't find them anywhere. I have a fault in my ignition circuit somewhere since scum ripped the battery off my bike Mad

Long time no speak Wink

What's it doing?

gfrancisdev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

smarjoram wrote:

if you look in the index it tells you section 3B, specifically 3B5-3B6

smarjoram
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't start sometimes, the warning light flashes at me. It sort of starts up for a second then cuts itself out. Bloody annoying when you want to set off and you have to fiddle around with everything to get it going..

smarjoram
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:04 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_m wrote:
gfrancisdev wrote:

33-ignition coil
39-fuel injector
50-ecu malfunction

Bike is flashing 1 long flash and 9 short flashes. Code 19. Now im currently ripping the bike apart checking the black/white wire from ignition to ecu

Yeah i'm getting fault code 19 sometimes as well. Did you fix yours? I'm gonna have to rip the seat and tank off I think to get to the ECU and trace the black and white wire. Sick

smarjoram
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:05 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_m wrote:
gfrancisdev wrote:

33-ignition coil
39-fuel injector
50-ecu malfunction

Yeah i'm getting fault code 19 sometimes as well. Did you fix yours? I'm gonna have to rip the seat and tank off I think to get to the ECU and trace the black and white wire. Sick

kevinheb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 16 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been getting this problem for the last few weeks. The bike eventually gets started by turning the ignition off, and then back on, usually within half a dozen times the engine will keep in. I just had the Haynes Manual delivered today, and this afternoon have taken the left cover off to check the battery and the fuse and the electrics in there which all seem to be ok, so next at the weekend, I will check the wiring at the ignition, and then follow it down to the ECU (although I'm not looking forward to taking the tank off!)

Have you guys had any luck sorting it out??

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 16 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's part of the ignition black to black white, if you go into your headlight you will see it going into a red block which is your electric start, make sure all the wires are secure, my electric start came loose once and was being weird, somehow

kevinheb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 16 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the headlight off, found the black and black/white and quickly inspected the wires, couldn't see anything immediately at fault, will try again at the weekemd when I've more time. Did think that I'd cracked it when I found the dummy red wire in the connector, but that turned out to be the way it should be.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 221 days between these two posts...

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 24 Nov 2013    Post subject: Possible Solution to Fault Code 19 Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but no resolution ever seemed to be found, so this may be worth saying. I recently had this issue (error code 19 on start) I know that some have replaced their barrels to no avail but before trying anything else try this.

Wiggle the key in the barrel to see if it starts (or push down when trying to start) if this seems to be the issue:

Try squirting some switch cleaner directly into the igniton barrel (use the little pipe or your key to prop the plastic bit open) and give it plenty. Leave it 5 minutes and hey presto, worked for me.

Could be condensation (as it happens in winter) collecting in the barrel or just dust.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 59 days between these two posts...

leroymel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:42 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I get the same blinking pattern with my 2010 YBR 125. Trouble code 19. One day the bike would start, and the next not. Sometimes it started again just by insisting a bit.

Switch cleaner spray directly in the ignition barrel worked like a charm for me.

Thanks for your advice.

Mel- from France.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1