Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bitcoins

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:44 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Currently renting out my hash power, projecting to make ~$6 a day. Such win Thumbs Up

Until your neighbour finds the flex running into their garage?

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:40 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently renting out my hash power, projecting to make ~$6 a day. Such win Thumbs Up

Interesting. Serious question, what kit have you got and why aren't you using it to mine yourself?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Until your neighbour finds the flex running into the lamppost

FTFY.

Got an R9 390X and RX570, will add more as they come up at the right price.

It is mining myself, but via nicehash. Minergate was creaming quite a bit of my hash rate, so thought I'd give NH a whirl.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First payment received this am, just over $11 after fees. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dollars? Don't you accept Bitcoin? Eh?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's paid in BTC. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why are you listing the dollah value?

Serious question. If even True Believers don't think in terms of BTC as a real currency, and promote it as such, why should us Luddites buy in?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Then why are you listing the dollah value?

Serious question. If even True Believers don't think in terms of BTC as a real currency, and promote it as such, why should us Luddites buy in?

Because its value is currently unstable. The US $ or most other big fiat currencies are much more stable. Not sure if you are an idiot and need this explaining or think this somehow ruins the argument that crypto has a future. No one is denying crypto is too volatile right now to use day to day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:47 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Because its value is currently unstable.

The value of BTC expressed in BTC is unstable?

Where's your faith in BTC? Why are you still thinking in terms of fascio-currencies? Crying or Very sad

On 25th January 2018 The Artist wrote:
No one is denying crypto is too volatile right now to use day to day.

On 21 March 2013 The Artist wrote:
Currency of the future

On 23 March 2013 The Artist wrote:
It is a currency in every sense of the word

On 29 May2013 The Artist wrote:
All we need now is adoption by the masses.

Any day now, True Believers; any day now.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Any day now, True Believers; any day now.

You do realise there are whole countries that have recognised currencies but their people still prefer to use the $ on a daily basis right?

This is due to volatility in the price of their currency.

It's not a new phenomenon.

Roger is trying to troll under the radar.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

To save you doing the hardsums, BTC was apparently on the cusp of being an everyday currency for everbody nearly 5 years ago. Internet years, so about a century in human terms.

Adoption didn't happen then when it was more stable - at least when valued in terms of legacy military-industrial fascist blood-'currencies', so called. When it didn't cost $15 to send $25, and 1,188 minutes to confirm a transaction. Clapping

BTC is less fvcked than the Venezuelan Bolivar, I'll grant you that.

But when does the Great Adoptioning start? When will Tesco start listing prices in BTC? Riddle me that.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pjay wrote:

To save you doing the hardsums, BTC was apparently on the cusp of being an everyday currency for everbody nearly 5 years ago. Internet years, so about a century in human terms.

Adoption didn't happen then when it was more stable - at least when valued in terms of legacy military-industrial fascist blood-'currencies', so called. When it didn't cost $15 to send $25, and 1,188 minutes to confirm a transaction. Clapping

But when does the Great Adoptioning start? When will Tesco start listing prices in BTC? Riddle me that.

Scan, CEX, and Feels to name but 3, all accept BTC.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a a debit card that you can use crypto to use in any store/cashpoint worldwide.

I have mentioned this, but it seemingly doesn't count unless Tesco are actually advertising their prices in BTC.

I don't see the correlation myself, you can use your GBP debit card in the USA or anywhere else that advertises their goods in their local currency.

I dont see what point Roger is getting to, I can spend my BTC in Tesco if I choose, regardless if they accept them, just as a Frenchman can spend his Euros.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:43 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scan, CEX, and Feels

Rubbish, how are you going to tuck a Bitcoin into their thongs?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to reply to my post then Roger?

Just mark it funny as you usually do, while I give you a great answer as to how it's a currency and can spend it as one.

Running out of your BTC isn't money meme-steam?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:10 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that you promoted the convoluted money-go-round method that I'd just implicitly scoffed at in my link above. It's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike being able to spend BTC in Tesco.

I can scoff out loud if it helps to make it clearer.

*Scoff, scoff.*

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's funny that you promoted the convoluted money-go-round method that I'd just implicitly scoffed at in my link above. It's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike being able to spend BTC in Tesco.

I can scoff out loud if it helps to make it clearer.

*Scoff, scoff.*

But your point was 'When will Tesco accept bitcoin?'
They do, just as they accept any worldwide currency, as long as you use a debit card to pay.

Why would Tesco need to accept bitcoin as bitcoin for it to be deemed a currency you can use in Tesco, when it already is a currency you can use there?

Vouchers? Are you seriously comparing them to Crypto?

Quite how you are struggling with the comprehension that I can go and buy anything in Tesco with my Crypto is beyond me.

It's no more a money go round than an American using his Dollar based debit card. Legal tender is not the same thing as a currency.

Are you asking when Bitcoin will be legal tender in the UK? The answer is that if it does, it will be around the same time the US dollar is. The US Dollar is a currency that you can use in tesco via a debit card, the same as BTC is.

You can carry on with your squinted eyes, or you can just accept it's here and get on with your life. Your posts here are doing little more than make you look like a dinosaur.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:39 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on about https://cryptopay.me/bitcoin-debit-card ?

A card that - correct me if I'm wrong - holds balances and lists its many, many, many fees in EUR, USD or GBP, rather than BTC?

Stop, my sides, I can only laugh so hard. Laughing

Pjay wrote:
Are you asking when Bitcoin will be legal tender in the UK?

Are you saying that I'm a lobster?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

https://www.tenx.tech/fees.html

There are a few cards, some charge, some dont.

I still dont see your point. I have answered your question about Tesco accepting BTC, they do, I can go there and spend my BTC with 0% commission.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
https://www.tenx.tech/fees.html

I can't make it out in that Dreamweaver salad: how would I actually get one of those, uh.... I guess you're implying that they have some sort of card. It's really hard to be sure.

Which one do you use?

Pjay wrote:
I still dont see your point. I have answered your question about Tesco accepting BTC, they do, I can go there and spend my BTC with 0% commission.

Surprise me: go and do it and film the results.

Or by "can" do you mean "could, in untested principle".

And I still don't see your point. Tesco "accept" BTC in exactly the same sense that they "accept" Mongolian Dingbats, i.e. they don't. They accept GBP.

Where would I find their BTC prices?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, you can use a card linked to your crypto wallets. This is usable in any Visa accepting machine on the planet. This in turn means it's a viable currency.

What part of that are you disagreeing with?

Tescos will happily accept a Visa Debit card linked to a crypto wallet, regardless of your view on it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Surprise me: go and do it and film the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjngOjwOrew

Before you cry foul at him using his phone, he was just looking for the best conversion rate coin in his wallets.
If you dont look, it will just use your default coin. The step could have been skipped and you'd never have seen his phone.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:02 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And I still don't see your point. Tesco "accept" BTC in exactly the same sense that they "accept" Mongolian Dingbats, i.e. they don't. They accept GBP.

Where would I find their BTC prices?

Do you honestly think that using BTC to buy Dingbats to buy Big Mac is them "accepting" BTC? This is a real thing in your head? Thinking

Rogerborg wrote:
Which one do you use?

Surprise me.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Do you honestly think that using BTC to buy Dingbats to buy Big Mac is them "accepting" BTC? This is a real thing in your head? Thinking

It's not a case of McDonalds accepting them, it's a case of being able to use them in McDonalds.

Like I said before, you can use your American $ based card to purchase Mcdonalds in the UK in GBP, it's no different at all.

Why are you hung up on the fact that Tesco need to advertise their prices in BTC for it to be a currency you can use there?

You are going round and round with this same argument that you cant use BTC in Tesco, because Tesco don't accept them, even though you can use them. Just as you can use the Dollar or Euro. Just not in physical form as legal tender. BTC doesn't have the limitations of a physical form, so it's better for paying worldwide.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:15 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Actually, as a point of order, it isn't. At no point over the last 5 years has the Bolivar ever been more volatile than BTC at the same point in time. The Bolivar has lost about 60% of its value over the 5 year time period, but BTC has pretty much matched that since Christmas this year.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=VEF&to=USD&view=10Y

Anyway, on to the debit cards. Yes, you can spend BTC through them in normal stores. However, the american spending dollars in the UK is an appropriate comparison. What the card actually is doing is, external to the end vendor, selling some of your BTC for pounds, crediting those pounds to a visa type account and then paying for your groceries in pounds. That is not equivalent to spending in BTC any more than selling carrots for money and using the money gained to buy stuff at Tesco makes carrots a viable and accepted currency. The card just cuts out the hassle of selling the coins for pounds and buying with those pounds yourself.

Tesco cannot and will not ever list prices in BTC until it's at a manageable level of volatility. Imagine trying to establish long term contracts for purchases with suppliers in pounds for an item that could feasibly, if sold in BTC, be worth half as much by the time it reaches the shelf. You can't do it. For the company I worked for, even the volatility in the pound over the last year has been a serious issue in terms of profitability for some SKUs, and thats only 15%ish in a year.

But really, this is semantics. The card does allow one, in practical terms, to pay for things in crypto coins. That's pretty cool.

However, it's not without issue. Fees are remarkably high compared to 'traditional' cards in all cases, although they are falling, and there are already issues with stability of supply: https://www.coindesk.com/visa-cracks-bitcoin-debit-cards-europe-providers-say/

All in all, the question is: 'Is it worth the bother for the average consumer?' and so far, the market says no...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/blow-for-bitcoin-as-visa-freezes-users-debit-cards-jl0f37shk

Pertinent fact: one of the biggest suppliers of the cards across Europe, a market of 743.1million people, stops trading, only "nearly half a million people affected..."

So that'll be 0.067% adoption then. Or maybe, in the interest of fairness as there's a few other suppliers, say 0.5%? Hardly mainstream.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 36 of 58