BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fox hunting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:56 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Fox hunting Reply with quote

Recently while commuting to work I have noticed a inordinate amount of dead foxes on the road, I didn't think much of it apart from it must be the time of year the younguns are getting out of the den.

Last night the experience got a little more personal when one shot out from under the central reservation and dived beneath my front wheel as I was moving from lane 2 to 3 and travelling at about 70. I had just done a shoulder check and on looking forward saw it coming across in front of me, there was not much I could do apart from lift off slightly and prepare for impact. Fortunately the suicide fox was low enough to go under the wheel and other than the feeling of a squishy speed bump and being a bit shaken it did not cause any further indecent to me.

When I lived in London there was no doubt that foxes were a pest (getting in to peoples flats and bed, getting rubbish out of bins etc), but since moving out they have never caused me a problem. This year there does seem to have been a big increase in numbers in the area though.

So whats the biggest thing you have hit and managed to stay upright?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:05 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead badger at 3am on a spirited ride with some BCF folk. Can't say it did much apart from bounce the bike a fair whack Laughing bricks were shat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bike, a bird, I don't know what as it hit my helmet and I didn't crash but the were white feathers and blood on it.

Not on a bike but hit a pheasant in a car (mondeo) that made one hell of a mess of the plastic bumper.

My step father hit a new forest pony. You will all be happy to know the pony walked away. My stepfathers Bentley was a right off.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used do a detour through a new housing estate, hadn't been through in a few weeks,came down then up the hill around 30mph to be confronted with a newly built speed bump,the really wide ones with a lip,next thing my feet were by my ears,landed it with a wobble much to the amusement of the workforce in the road.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pheasant running out of undergrowth. Just caught it a glancing blow. Wasn't there on return journey so I guess it made it
to pheasant another day.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveling down the A140 a while back and doing about 50mph when a suicide wood pigeon flew into the spokes Shocked of the front wheel of the Chinese pos!

Wire spokes + 50mph + fast pigeon = Shocked what can only be described as a feather hand grenade Shocked Laughing
For a moment It looked like it was snowing a blizzard.
I`m still picking feathers out of the bike even now.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit a Pigeon on my way to work last week, doing (ahem) 60mph+ on the A38. It was a glancing blow on the fairing that took out the left indicator lens. Bird came off worse than me Wink

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took a pheasent to the head once at about 30 and that fucking hurt!

hit many rabbits and a fox on a 125 flat out down a hill at like... 7000mph (probably 75)

got showered with debris from a car that hit a badger on the a2 at about 70 once...

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:10 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a tale about a bikesafe day she did, where a kamikaze pigeon hit her helmet, bounced off her and then hit the copper following behind. Definitely worthy of a combo bonus for second ricochet hit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually hit: pigeon in the right shoulder, so hard it pushed my shoulder back and pulled my right hand off of the throttle. I don't know what happened to it as when I looked at the right hand mirror to see how it had fared, I saw that the mirror had also been collected along the way and was folded back.

Near miss: muntjac deer. One of those slow-motion moments that I can describe in vivid detail but probably lasted a second or two. I spotted the deer as it emerged from the verge on the left a few metres ahead of me...

"Oh look, a muntjac".
"Wait a minute, we're on a collision course"
"Also, they are quite solid for little animals"
"Hmmm, this could be close"
"Oh, it's OK, it looks like we're going to miss each other".

I can still picture looking down and watching the deer pass just to the right of my front wheel and past my right boot.

All this happened before I could even contemplate rolling off, let alone braking.

My wife wins roadkill though, having hit a wallaby in South Oxfordshire.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pigeon must hurt, I hit a bee once hard enough to leave a bruise through my textiles.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:44 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had just passed my test
Couple of months later and I was out for a bimble. Warm June day, visor open

Set myself up for a looooong sweeping, sharpen your pegs leaning, bend when half way through it I can see, matrix-style, a wasp flying straight towards my nose. Sadly I couldn't find the blue pill and it went straight into my helmet, getting stuck between the lining and my forehead.

Was not at the stage with confidence to take my hands off the bar to flick it out mid corner yet so decided to tough it out. Flicked it out onto the tank when levelled, but not before the shit had stung me 6 times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
So whats the biggest thing you have hit and managed to stay upright?

Whatever it's this will take some beating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwWI7JcJZB4

Bikeless wrote:
I used do a detour through a new housing estate, hadn't been through in a few weeks,came down then up the hill around 30mph to be confronted with a newly built speed bump,the really wide ones with a lip,next thing my feet were by my ears,landed it with a wobble much to the amusement of the workforce in the road.

I've hit one at 50, poor obs when overtaking. Luckily it didn't really phase the bike (scrambler) and I could stand up on the pegs so my nads remained intact Thumbs Up

I once overtook a car (pattern emerging here) at about 40, not realising from the previous day they had dug up the road. Much poo came out as the bike went all over the place but I stayed up, I think mainly cos I didn't touch the brakes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:00 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit what looked like a brick on my way home tonight at about 50.

The bike flew into the air, bricks were shat, bike landed and carried on as if nothing had happened...

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:15 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodged a plank of wood flying at me on the motorway a while ago (in the car) . Dropped off a pikey truck. Gave the guy a proglonged wanker sign when i pulled in front of him but i bet he didnt give a fuck at all.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once mowed down a peacock outside a farm in my car. Was going about 70mph, it strutted out, looked at me and displayed its plumage. I deployed the anchors, then quickly released I wasn’t going to stop in time, so I got back on the throttle thinking it was better to kill it outright rather than maim it. I hear they’re expensive, so I probably cost somebody a small fortune there.

Also, not an animal but my dad was once following a wagon full of rubble down the motorway and half a breeze block bounced out and went up his windscreen, leaving three deep parallel lines in the glass.
It looked like a velociraptor had climbed up it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an encounter with a pigeon myself not long ago; I was in the car, driving at walking pace down a busy shopping road. Pidgey waddles into the road about 10 yards ahead; naturally I didn't alter my speed or course and just assumed it would get out of the way. But it kept right on waddling, straight under my nearside front wheel. There was an almighty 'pop' - it was just like I'd driven over a big, inflated paper bag.

The funny thing was, right at that moment alongside me on the footpath was a woman walking hand-in-hand with a toddler. Woman let out an almighty scream and an "OHMIGOD!", before gathering up the toddler into her arms. I didn't hang about to check whether anybody was PTSD'ed, or to administer first-aid to the pigeon, and left the bloodbath pretty smartish.

Personally I think I did the kid a favour - she might think twice before running out into the road in future. Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I once mowed down a peacock outside a farm in my car. Was going about 70mph, it strutted out, looked at me and displayed its plumage.
Laughing On the subject of nonchalant animals, I was a passenger in a car that nearly hit a deer. Doing 70mph this Stag was stood in the middle of the road. My da swerved onto the other side of the road but we were still going to hit it, until it took one step forward, leaving enough room for us to get through. I looked back in the mirror and it was still standing there.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
On the subject of nonchalant animals, I was a passenger in a car that nearly hit a deer

India. Wife and I were in a taxi driving along quite a fast road, and there's a dog sat there sunning itself, head sticking out into the road, directly in our path. The driver clearly wasn't bothered, and the mutt was clearly about to lose its head. We winced and braced for the impact, when at literally the last spilt-second, the dog simply cocked its head a gnat's to the left, and the bumper whistled past about an inch from its ear. The driver found my wife's reaction hilarious.

We soon realised that the average dog on an Indian street is incredibly intelligent and streetwise; they have to be to survive. Really, survival of the fittest - Darwin in action. It was something else to watch them crossing a multi-lane highway, just like a real-life game of Frogger.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel

Fell out a tree and hit me

Not sure if it was dead when it fell out the tree or when it hit me on the chest and bounced off me

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily after replying to this i ran over a random broom on the a2

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:46 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to deal with bird strikes
https://imgur.com/7GoXcIT

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Big birds Reply with quote

Hit a seagull and managed to get to work with a bruised shoulder. Wife killed a red kite that we feeding and took off into her! Pheasants are normally slow up to 5 feet off the ground....then look forward and brace.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have hit an old lady, a teenage lad, all sorts of animals, but never ever have I run over a bunny.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3