Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the max range of a 125cc scooter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: What is the max range of a 125cc scooter? Reply with quote

Ok you may of seen my other thread, as i am doing my CBT soon.
If all goes well (and most people seem to believe it will) then next year or the year after I will do my A1 (today is the first day I have looked into the "whats next area"

Most of my transport will be around my city, maybe some scenic riding out and about when the weather turns warmer and the once or twice 30 mile trip to see my mum. However, I got to wondering what is the max range of someone on a 125cc?

Now by max range I do not mean how far will the ol girl go on a full tank of petrol, that is easy to work out, my bike when i get it does 100mpg, has an 8 litter tank so that is 200mpg (assuming the dealer was not telling porkies). Even then a tank can be refilled. But what I mean is in terms of fatigue to both the rider and the bike. Can a 125cc do a 200 mile trip in one go with out the engine overheating?

I should say I am not planing any epic journeys around the world, though the idea appeals of being able to pop to alton towers in the summer (I am nearly 40 and have never been to anything bigger than pleasurewood hills and YES I am a big kid at heart and no I feel no guilt on that lol) but at 150 miles there and back thats 300 round trip how feasible is that? again though just as an example.

Logic tells me that after a day out anywhere the sensible idea would be to find a B&B for the night and go home the next day rested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:15 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike'll do it. No reason for it to overheat just because it's done some miles. That's just going to be down to revs and air flow at any given time.

Question is how well you can cope. 300miles in a day on a 125cc is doable, I'm sure. Some guys on here have done london to scotland in a day on honda MSX 125s for instance. But I doubt you'd want to do it, have a long day out at the theme park then hop on the bike for another 150miles home. That's a long day indeed, especially if motorway isn't an option.

Oh, and youre 40. Don't do A1, it's pointless. I would strongly advice doing a DAS course so you can ride anything. Once you've got it, if you want to stick with the scooter then fine, but better to have the option to ride whatever you want, and it won't cost that much more.

10 quid says you'll want a proper bike within the year anyway.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:15 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: What is the max range of a 125cc scooter? Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
Can a 125cc do a 200 mile trip in one go with out the engine overheating?

If it can go 10 miles without overheating it'll do 200 miles without overheating. You would be mindnumbingly bored though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also need a wrist replacement after 200 miles on a 125.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:07 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some-one has ridden from Australia to Britain on a C90....
I guess they had to stop and fill up a few times..... so what do you mean by 'range'? How far you can go on a tank of petrol, rather depends on the size of the petrol tank; how far you can go before it starts to hurt rather depends on how hardy you are!
It's a piece of string question really....

PERSONALLY.. I wouldn't plan to ride a scooter very far at all..... automotive anathema's, with shopping trolley sized wheels and perverse weight distribution.... bit of a bumble be, and its astounding they even work, to be honest, but still.

A little empirical analysis in recent years made me question the merits of light-weights vs heavy-weights; I tended to start to 'suffer' and not want to cover much more than maybe 25 miles at a stretch on the 125, where I'd happily spend there, four, five hours at a stretch on the 750... and I had been reasonably convinced that big-bikes were all day comfort, little ones for short hop'fun' and popping to the shops... but then I had to use the 750 to pop to the shops.... and I realised it was the demands of short hop city traffic that made ANY bike more tiring to ride, not the size of its engine!

BUT... STOP STRESSING!

You have yet to do our CBT 'first lesson'.. and that is to validate your provisional so you ca practice ad learn to do tests... not ride around dodging them! You shouldn't rally be planning very day city commuting, or long haul touring, on L-Plates!!!!!!!

IF you have what it takes to tackle the daily grind every day, or tackle long haul excursions into unfamiliar parts, YOU CAN PASS TESTS!!!!!

Tests are hardly brain surgery! Theory/Haz is regurgitating the books, and playing a computer game. Mod 1, is the CBT cone exercises, with a little confidence and finesse, Mod 2 half an hour riding across town without falling off, crashing or killing any-one!

IF you ca do that every day, riding a 125 on L-Plates, you can have a licence, for £120, and ever have to do another CBT..... IF YOU CAN'T...... then, should you be considering every day commuting, or longer haul excursions?

You would probably be best off, using 125 on L's as intended to get your confidence up, get some practice in and do a little learning, in your own time, not on the way to work, in cut and thrust of most hazard strew traffic .. and taking tests for the full licence.

Don't sweat the small-stuff! Go get that first lesson and start learning sh!t!

Last edited by Teflon-Mike on 18:13 - 24 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Bike'll do it. No reason for it to overheat just because it's done some miles. That's just going to be down to revs and air flow at any given time.

Question is how well you can cope. 300miles in a day on a 125cc is doable, I'm sure. Some guys on here have done london to scotland in a day on honda MSX 125s for instance. But I doubt you'd want to do it, have a long day out at the theme park then hop on the bike for another 150miles home. That's a long day indeed, especially if motorway isn't an option.

Oh, and youre 40. Don't do A1, it's pointless. I would strongly advice doing a DAS course so you can ride anything. Once you've got it, if you want to stick with the scooter then fine, but better to have the option to ride whatever you want, and it won't cost that much more.

10 quid says you'll want a proper bike within the year anyway.

Theres no way I can afford to replace the bike I have just bought so it will be 125 for a long time (10 years plus i reckon) my job is not exactly high pay though I do see your point. Will cross that bridge when i come to it, at the minute it just makes sense to do it on what I will be using.
The bike is bought new so with proper servicing I hope it would last me way more than 10 years!

@M.C (sorry couldnt figure out multi quoting on this forum) I am hoping that is an exaggeration? It has to be! I would like to think the grips last longer than that, not sure how distance would even effect them?

@Nobby the Bastard Good to know, just remembering in my youth (many decades ago lol) mate of mine giving me a left on the back of his bike....yeah highly illegal but back then we didnt know and the statue of limitations has to be up.... anyway every 5 miles or hill we had to stop to let the bike cool down....thats my only experience with the smaller engine bikes, figured there may be an ultimate range (though in the hundreds) looks like i am happily wrong!

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Some-one has ridden from Australia to Britain on a C90....
I guess they had to stop and fill up a few times..... so what do you mean by 'range'? How far you can go on a tank of petrol, rather depends on the size of the petrol tank; how far you can go before it starts to hurt rather depends on how hardy you are!
It's a piece of string question really....

PERSONALLY.. I wouldn't plan to ride a scooter very far at all..... automotive anathema's, with shopping trolley sized wheels and perverse weight distribution.... bit of a bumble be, and its astounding they even work, to be honest, but still.

A little empirical analysis in recent years made me question the merits of light-weights vs heavy-weights; I tended to start to 'suffer' and not want to cover much more than maybe 25 miles at a stretch on the 125, where I'd happily spend there, four, five hours at a stretch on the 750... and I had been reasonably convinced that big-bikes were all day comfort, little ones for short hop'fun' and popping to the shops... but then I had to use the 750 to pop to the shops.... and I realised it was the demands of short hop city traffic that made ANY bike more tiring to ride, not the size of its engine!

BUT... STOP STRESSING!

You have yet to do our CBT 'first lesson'.. and that is to validate your provisional so you ca practice ad learn to do tests... not ride around dodging them! You shouldn't rally be planning very day city commuting, or long haul touring, on L-Plates!!!!!!!

IF you have what it takes to tackle the daily grind every day, or tackle long haul excursions into unfamiliar parts, YOU CAN PASS TESTS!!!!!

Tests are hardly brain surgery! Theory/Haz is regurgitating the books, and playing a computer game. Mod 1, is the CBT cone exercises, with a little confidence and finesse, Mod 2 half an hour riding across town without falling off, crashing or killing any-one!

IF you ca do that every day, riding a 125 on L-Plates, you can have a licence, for £120, and ever have to do another CBT..... IF YOU CAN'T...... then, should you be considering every day commuting, or longer haul excursions?

You would probably be best off, using 125 on L's as intended to get your confidence up, get some practice in and do a little learning, in your own time, not on the way to work, in cut and thrust of most hazard strew traffic .. and taking tests for the full licence.

Don't sweat the small-stuff! Go get that first lesson and start learning sh!t!

Well as I say my plan is at the minute the A1 in a year, not planning on staying on a CBT (not now i know exactly what it is)

The 125 I have got is the Xenter went for that as 1)it is in my budget, JUST and 2) larger wheels for traction, didnt know that also means more comfort. my bike knowledge beyond basic safty on one is near null hence the questions here

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 125's have an anticipated service life of around 7 to 10 years, and about 25ooo-30ooo miles.

Aspiration that a brand new 125 will last you a decade s a little optimistic.

Chances it wont get nicked in the first year are not great. Chances it will not die from being crashed, thrashed or crashed, in your un-trained inexperenced care, not a lot better!

Suggestion you plan to do all that on CBT & L's.. what five of them! at what, £140 a pop,, that's £700, to pretend to be a learner, dodging tests, not taking them, you could spend on a DAS course and have the benefit of the learnng and the licence.. let alone doing A1 tests DIY for less than the price of your first repeat CBT!!!

Yo are leaping to a world of the unknown tryng to make long term plans, not even knowig just how little you know!

Go get that first lesson, and get at least a LITTLE learning, and worry about the rest as and when you have to... and getting the licence should be much higher up the list than a lot of the notions you are fretting over.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:43 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about Mike. If you convince yourself that he means well, it helps.

The secret with a 125 is to set realistic expectations. Figure an average of 40 miles in an hour, and you don't want to be riding every hour.

200 miles a day is about the limit of what I'd want to do on a 125, and you'll be glad to get off it at the end. But biking is a daft hobby, and lends itself to doing daft things: I did a 450 mile round trip just to pick up a jar of marmalade. It's all good.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to London and back for a shag on a 50cc once from by Birmingham Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Most 125's have an anticipated service life of around 7 to 10 years, and about 25ooo-30ooo miles.

Thats depressing, this is the most expensive single item i have ever bought.

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Chances it wont get nicked in the first year are not great. Chances it will not die from being crashed, thrashed or crashed, in your un-trained inexperenced care, not a lot better!

The first part is a massive fear of mine, and the single reason that I have waited so long to do this. I am hoping two alarmed disc locks, a heavy duty chain and a cover will protect it from opportunists, am I wrong in that?

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Suggestion you plan to do all that on CBT & L's.. what five of them! at what, £140 a pop,, that's £700, to pretend to be a learner, dodging tests, not taking them, you could spend on a DAS course and have the benefit of the learnng and the licence.. let alone doing A1 tests DIY for less than the price of your first repeat CBT!!!

I am sure I am mis reading this but you keep mentioning dodging tests, this is not my plan in anyway shape or form. When I do my A1 (or what ever I choose) it wont be DIY it will be via an authorised testing center with what ever training they say i need! Being safe on the road is a responsibility and not something that i will ever take lightly.

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Yo are leaping to a world of the unknown tryng to make long term plans, not even knowig just how little you know!

I never go into anything half-arsed, I like to get as much info as I can. I like to plan what I need to do and how to do it. Right now I am taking my mind off the CBT by thinking of the next step (which is NOT dodging the tests). The next step would be a full license, to that mind I am thinking the logistics of staying on a 125 (which means A1).

I was pointed at the site as a place for newbies to ask questions that google does not provide or you need detail on, my apologies if i have that wrong

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:58 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I toured on my 350 bullet, which is marginally slower than a modern 125, it worked out averaging 150 miles a day was about enough over a protracted period.

I once did Ijmunden to Leipzeig on it in a oner. That was sore on the arse.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
I went to London and back for a shag on a 50cc once from by Birmingham Shocked

I would of thought they were too small for that, I admire you balance though lol. (sorry couldn't resist)
Good to know a 50cc has such a range, that I really did think was an "in your own city only" bike

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
When I toured on my 350 bullet, which is marginally slower than a modern 125, it worked out averaging 150 miles a day was about enough over a protracted period.

I once did Ijmunden to Leipzeig on it in a oner. That was sore on the arse.

That is impressive! looks like i really dont need to worry about the range I will have too much. When getting quotes for insurance i have said upto 2000 miles, that seems logical for my first year of usage. I doubt I will be going much further than 25 miles in any one journey until I am off the CBT

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:21 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:

When I do my A1 (or what ever I choose) it wont be DIY it will be via an authorised testing center...

The next step would be a full license, to that mind I am thinking the logistics of staying on a 125 (which means A1).

Then the next step should definitely be full A. THe only advantage of doing an A1 in your position is that you could do it cheaply, DIY, on your own bike.

If you're going to do it with a school (which certainly isn't a bad idea), then the full A won't cost any more and gives you many more options. I say again, just because you have a full A does not mean you are obligated to have a big bike. It just means you have the option to ride what you like.

Besides, depending on what your scooter actually is, I expect there is minimal difference in purchase and running cost between it and a sensible 600cc anyway, so to expect to keep the 125 for 10 years, while not impossible is unlikely. I still stand by my 10 quid I reckon. Assuming you pass the cbt and ride regularly, you'll be looking at proper bikes within 12 months.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:

When I do my A1 (or what ever I choose) it wont be DIY it will be via an authorised testing center...

The next step would be a full license, to that mind I am thinking the logistics of staying on a 125 (which means A1).

Then the next step should definitely be full A. THe only advantage of doing an A1 in your position is that you could do it cheaply, DIY, on your own bike.

If you're going to do it with a school (which certainly isn't a bad idea), then the full A won't cost any more and gives you many more options. I say again, just because you have a full A does not mean you are obligated to have a big bike. It just means you have the option to ride what you like.

Besides, depending on what your scooter actually is, I expect there is minimal difference in purchase and running cost between it and a sensible 600cc anyway, so to expect to keep the 125 for 10 years, while not impossible is unlikely. I still stand by my 10 quid I reckon. Assuming you pass the cbt and ride regularly, you'll be looking at proper bikes within 12 months.

lol thats a bet I would happily take, this is a huge expense. so buying another is unlikely anytime in the next few years.

Will think on the Full A license though, The training center I am doing my CBT with do the a1 for £250 and the Das for £503, on one hand its double the price but on the other, as you say it gives me access to anybike should circumstances change. From what i understand I have a year to make up my mind then a year to earn A1 or Das (on the 2 year CBT)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
@M.C (sorry couldnt figure out multi quoting on this forum) I am hoping that is an exaggeration? It has to be! I would like to think the grips last longer than that, not sure how distance would even effect them?

Your actual wrist Smile They're known as wrist breakers for a reason. I'm sure mine (along with the vibrations) contributed to me developing tendentious.

TheDaveStream wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

*scans thread* have you told us what the bike is yet? A Jap' 125, yeah I'd expect ~10 years and 30k. A pals CBF125 he had from new shat its engine just shy of 30k (after 3 years iirc). My multiple owner abused XR fell off the MOT history at 37k/11 years (assuming it wasn't stacked/stolen). That's not to say they won't do more if looked after, I've heard of XRs doing 60k, and CGs (same engine) on 90k.

If you've bought a Chinese special scooter and expect to get 10 years out of it I'm gonna have trouble stopping myself laughing.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:18 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:

Will think on the Full A license though, The training center I am doing my CBT with do the a1 for £250 and the Das for £503

Hmm, shouldn't think you'd need a full DAS course anyway if you've been riding the 125 a bit. Maybe budget for a day or two to practice mod 1 and tidy up your riding, plus tests. A 2 or 3 day course max, for either bike. Couple hundred quid should do you.

Buying a bike, especially a new one is a huge expense, but that's what it is. Worth considering that, for better or worse, you've bought a brand new scooter now, which might have some residual value in 2 years (unless it's chinese), so it would be entirely viable to sell the scooter after the DAS and buy an older 600 commuter for not much, if any more money. I'd personally have more confidence that a cared for 8 year old, 20,000mile SV650 or something would last 10 years than a brand new 125 scooter.

Running costs wouldn't be much different and serviceing is probably less, so on a cost perspectve it's an option.

Of course, this is all pretty academic as you haven't even sorted the CBT or ridden on the road yet, but something to think on...

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:

Your actual wrist Smile They're known as wrist breakers for a reason. I'm sure mine (along with the vibrations) contributed to me developing tendentious.

TheDaveStream wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

*scans thread* have you told us what the bike is yet? A Jap' 125, yeah I'd expect ~10 years and 30k. A pals CBF125 he had from new shat its engine just shy of 30k (after 3 years iirc). My multiple owner abused XR fell off the MOT history at 37k/11 years (assuming it wasn't stacked/stolen). That's not to say they won't do more if looked after, I've heard of XRs doing 60k, and CGs (same engine) on 90k.

If you've bought a Chinese special scooter and expect to get 10 years out of it I'm gonna have trouble stopping myself laughing.

I was going to get a zontis mantis, i was told this would be a very bad buy.
I then looked at a second hand Honda PCe 5 but ultimately settled on the Xenter 125 (yamaha) mainly due to the larger wheels and traction and the fact it was new, the honda had done 2k miles which doesnt seem a lot but was 2014 reg.

Hopefully I have chosen wisely lol

and hopefully my wrists will be ok! I am a gamer at heart....i need my wrists lol

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:24 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
I was pointed at the site as a place for newbies to ask questions that google does not provide or you need detail on, my apologies if i have that wrong

It's fine, you're very welcome, and most of us have gone through the same stage of What Do?

Mike is just... Mike. If he told you what you don't know, then he wouldn't be able to berate you about how much you don't know.

No need to rush any decisions. Enjoy the CBT, enjoy the scooter, see how you feel with some miles under your drive-belt. Most of your questions will answer themselves.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
I was going to get a zontis mantis, i was told this would be a very bad buy.
I then looked at a second hand Honda PCe 5 but ultimately settled on the Xenter 125 (yamaha) mainly due to the larger wheels and traction and the fact it was new, the honda had done 2k miles which doesnt seem a lot but was 2014 reg.

Hopefully I have chosen wisely lol

and hopefully my wrists will be ok! I am a gamer at heart....i need my wrists lol

Yes the Zontes would have Smile The Xenter looks ok for a scootay, seems to have a decent amount of power and can apparently do 75mph. Look after it and it'll be fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1