Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

any tips on security and the CBT? (some questions too)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: any tips on security and the CBT? (some questions too) Reply with quote

I am doing my CBT tomorrow (god I hope they do not cancel it due to rain!)
I keep hearing its not a test you can not fail, followed by "if you do not get the certificate you will need to come back and redo parts" (sounds like a fail to me)
So far I have spent the week re-learning the highway code (never driven but I used to cycle everywhere, even had a little twist and go electric bike for a year or two) and can pass the mock theory test 9 out of 10 times (redroute...what the hell is a red route???? ok i know now but at in the mock test that thing threw me as never heard of it)
anyway my questions on the CBT side:
They mention to be familiar with the highway code, I am guessing this means its ok if you get a few questions wrong so long as you have a good knowledge of the important points?
What normally causes a student to not got their CBT?
Any tips?

I have already brought a bike new (a 125 automatic scooter) so I am hoping I pass as i can not collect it until I do lol, but I am also worried about security, My current plan is to lock it up to a concrete wall in a communal area we have at my flats, already have a thick chain. I have two disc locks, both alarmed. after that I will put a cover on it. Is that really enough to stop it being stolen? (life savings going into this)
one of these be a good idea too https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Throtlock-Motorbike-Handlebar-Brake/dp/B00KGUJ0LE or overkill?

If my neighbours ask me to move it (it wont be in the way, plenty of room, but sometimes people can just be ....less than nice) I will have to park it on the road. Will the fact that I cant secure it to anything mean it will be nicked fast? I will have the chain on the back wheel to stop it being free wheeled in addition to the disc locks and cover.
Also In the insurance quotes I went for "driveway" as that is the closest this communal area is, does that mean i can not legally park it on the road with out my insurance becoming null (new to this insurance lark, but man is that stuff expensive!)

what about parking it in the city when i shop, is just the disc locks safe? or do you advise taking the chain with me?

Still new to all this (and isnt it a horrible world that we have to worry about having our property stolen!) all advice gratefully received

*not sure if relevant but I am nearly 40, so no spring chicken if that makes sense
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHILL OUT FFS! You are going to give yourself a heart attack!
CBT is Compulsary-Basic-Training... its your FIRST LESSON!
Nothing more.. go do, they should teach you everything you need to know, on the day!
Including that a CBT cert is just a bit of paper to say you have done that first lesson, it is NOT a licence, and an L-Plat is to go practice and learn, to take tests, NOT spend forever and a day dodging them.

Pack a good lunch, pack plenty of sweets and snacks and something to drink.

Dress to be warm ad dry, and not have dangling shoe-laces, or soft trainers.

Go do the LESSON

Most common reason for any-one nt completing n one day, would suggest is that there's a heck of a lot of stuff on the syllabus to do, and notbeing done before it is incredibly tiring, physially and mentally, and this time of year day-lght hours are short....

You don't need to know all the high-way code stuff, or have passed the Theory/Hazard for CBT, but yup, great help for actual licence tests, WHEN (I hope) you go for them.

Stop stressing! Worry only about what you NEED worry about.... which right now is your lunch and attire or the day..... then go do, listen and learn... and IF you run out of energy or day-light, its no big deal... there's always another day!

Don't sweat the small stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll only fail if you're a complete spacker.

I did mine with a Polish guy who couldn't speak or understand English. He couldn't follow any direction from the instructor and got lost 3 times... He still passed because he made it through without fucking up the hire bike in anyway.

Treat it as an experience day. It's a lot more fun if you do.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:18 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: any tips on security and the CBT? (some questions too) Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
They mention to be familiar with the highway code, I am guessing this means its ok if you get a few questions wrong

There's no testable part, but some bloke might bend your ear for a bit and ask a general "Does anyone know... ?". The yoof I was out with rode right through a red light and still got his ticket.

TheDaveStream wrote:

Spacking it up.

TheDaveStream wrote:
Any tips?

Relax. You're paying for training, so think like a customer, not a supplicant.

If you're only intending to ride a scooter, see if you can do the CBT on (most likely) a twist-and-go 50cc moped. It'll be easier, it still validates your provisional entitlement for geared bikes.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: any tips on security and the CBT? (some questions too) Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:
They mention to be familiar with the highway code, I am guessing this means its ok if you get a few questions wrong

There's no testable part, but some bloke might bend your ear for a bit and ask a general "Does anyone know... ?". The yoof I was out with rode right through a red light and still got his ticket.

TheDaveStream wrote:

Spacking it up.

TheDaveStream wrote:
Any tips?

Relax. You're paying for training, so think like a customer, not a supplicant.

If you're only intending to ride a scooter, see if you can do the CBT on (most likely) a twist-and-go 50cc moped. It'll be easier, it still validates your provisional entitlement for geared bikes.

The bike I have brought is a 125cc scooter (no gears) so they are putting me through on a 125 automatic, this should be very familiar to my old electric bike (just different shape, more powerful, heavier... lol

To others, yeah i am stressing a bit, I never approach anything with out being prepared, but this I cant prepare for, with my working hours it makes going for this awkward, and if I do "spack it up" (not a term i have heard before lol) then it will be a week or two before the stars align for me to redo it, so the pressure is on for me to get it right first time. I am watching videos of CBTs and bike handling, reading guides on controlling your bike etc.... doing everything I can to prepare myself (hence the asking advice here too)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:34 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... aaaand relax.

You'll be fine. You've ridden a pushbike and an electrovelocipede on the road. This is much the same. The required standard really isn't high, it's Basic training.

Just listen to what you're told, do as you're asked, don't stack it into anything, and enjoy your scootay.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:20 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo was it all worrying about nothing?
Did you 'complete' and get the DL196.. or was the day to short or cold, or knackering?
How much of what you worried about did you need to vs how much of what there is to worry about, you didn't?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:21 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell him, Dave.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1