BCF: Bike Chat Forums

155mph bikers caught by bike copper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 4 people get done a couple of weeks back. Mandatory 20 outside of a school, with no time restrictions. Outside of school hours, people (almost universally) do 30 past it, and they raised revenue had a safety campaign the other week, as I was walking past with the daughter. 4 cars getting a ticket by the looks of it, and more coppers telling naughty river off, or to pull over.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I watched 4 people get done a couple of weeks back. Mandatory 20 outside of a school, with no time restrictions. Outside of school hours, people (almost universally) do 30 past it, and they raised revenue had a safety campaign the other week, as I was walking past with the daughter. 4 cars getting a ticket by the looks of it, and more coppers telling naughty river off, or to pull over.

That's the thing, most people have worked out it's about revenue, and it's a real shame as inappropriate speed is obviously dangerous.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

That's the thing, most people have worked out it's about revenue, and it's a real shame as inappropriate speed is obviously dangerous.

I do wonder with the variable speed limits on the M1/M25 sometimes if they knock them back to 60 or 50 when there is no obvious problem if they are a bit short on income that month.

Especially now they have speed cameras on nearly every gantry and I don't mean the big box ones, but these...

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.nqUPMjNxNmyaBVlxjY0nugHaEK&pid=15.1

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I do wonder with the variable speed limits on the M1/M25 sometimes if they knock them back to 60 or 50 when there is no obvious problem if they are a bit short on income that month.

Especially now they have speed cameras on nearly every gantry and I don't mean the big box ones, but these...

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.nqUPMjNxNmyaBVlxjY0nugHaEK&pid=15.1

According the Clarkson that's what happens Smile I think the excuse is that they're managing traffic flow or some BS. FWIW I've not been caught on the M1/M25 or by any other average speed limit. I have a theory, if you see a few vehicles blasting through, you're probably ok Smile If everyone's going the temp' speed limit (say through roadworks) maybe stick to it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taking wifie to Birmingham airport going up the M1 and drove through about 15 miles of roadworks average speed cameras (50 limit) at 70 with my brain in neutral and on auto pilot.

When missus asked why I was going that speed I thought I was fucked. Never heard anything so I don't know if it's all pot luck whether things are switched on, if they are even connected or what.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I blasted through one at 90. Options were...
a) decelerate heavily to 50 mph
b) carry on at kitten killing speed Thumbs Up

They had some on the M3 everyone seemed to be obeying so I did the same, every other time I've carried on as normal.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:38 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been along the M42 with 50 limits displayed (cause traffic) but there was so little traffic that the outside lane was clearly empty for about 5 miles....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've been along the M42 with 50 limits displayed (cause traffic) but there was so little traffic that the outside lane was clearly empty for about 5 miles....

Which is what obviously pisses people off about the whole thing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:16 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, pretty much.

Also: "Reduced speed limit to protect workforce". I am absolutely in favour of driving carefully where there are vulnerable road users, so thanks for letting me know.

But when you've driven through such zones with no workers in them over and over and over and over and over again, the contempt becomes ingrained.

Bad speed limits cost lives.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
That, pretty much.

Also: "Reduced speed limit to protect workforce". I am absolutely in favour of driving carefully where there are vulnerable road users, so thanks for letting me know.

But when you've driven through such zones with no workers in them over and over and over and over and over again, the contempt becomes ingrained.

That was the case when I drove through the M1 roadworks going to Birmingham. Befor 8 on a Saturday morning, Clear empty motorway. Not a road worker is sight but still reduced to 50 mph. Evil or Very Mad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 to 2 of M5 is 30mph to protect the 'workforce' after about a few hundred metres of 50 limit just beforehand.
Is 30 the new 50?? Fucking hope not, its pure tedium doing 30 for a few miles after a NSL section on the M6.
I have to keep the van in second throughout the whole thing to keep my speed under 30. So, we won't run them over
but give them respiratory problems instead. Good work planners. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I guess that's what I don't understand, motorways are statistically the safest roads, so they mess around with the speed limits, and encourage people to start randomly slowing down (not in reaction to road conditions). I thought if one person brakes it can cause a tailback miles behind?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I guess that's what I don't understand, motorways are statistically the safest roads, so they mess around with the speed limits, and encourage people to start randomly slowing down (not in reaction to road conditions). I thought if one person brakes it can cause a tailback miles behind?

In fairness some of those temporary 50mph motorway limits are intended to address exactly that. You'll never see nor reach the back of the stationary or slow-moving queue miles ahead because it will have moved on and dispersed by the time you get there. It's supposed to keep traffic moving. In theory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
In theory.

Probably will work if the human is not allowed near the controls. If they do get control, it'll be like the idea of monkeys typing out the works of Shakespeare, one day it may work.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Wouldn't it have been better if they let everyone carry on as normal, from a safety point of view?

Then they would have had to lay 100's of miles of extra tarmac to cope with capacity issues rather than doing it on
the cheap nicking the hard shoulder and sticking a few cameras up. That's the ONLY current reason for smart
motorways until of course they've all been done then they can start using the extra "traffic flow Liar" cameras
next to the gantries to charge by the mile thus reducing usage which will have the knock on effect of reducing (motorway)
traffic. 'Smart' A roads will be next. The treasury has known for years that it's missing a trick with regard to road usage charges
so this is only really paving the way for ALL main roads to become toll roads, mark my words. That's why it's all gone quiet
on the subject of charging per mile, because they are already very busy fitting the physical infrastructure to begin charging
(just calling them smart motorways for the moment until the FULL system goes FULLY live) and I believe it's also the real reason
DVLA/MOT/Insurance are databased already, purely in preparation for charging per mile.

/tinfoilhat

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Wouldn't it have been better if they let everyone carry on as normal, from a safety point of view?

Then they would have had to lay 100's of miles of extra tarmac to cope with capacity issues rather than doing it on
the cheap nicking the hard shoulder and sticking a few cameras up. That's the ONLY current reason for smart
motorways until of course they've all been done then they can start using the extra "traffic flow Liar" cameras
next to the gantries to charge by the mile thus reducing usage which will have the knock on effect of reducing (motorway)
traffic. 'Smart' A roads will be next. The treasury has known for years that it's missing a trick with regard to road usage charges
so this is only really paving the way for ALL main roads to become toll roads, mark my words. That's why it's all gone quiet
on the subject of charging per mile, because they are already very busy fitting the physical infrastructure to begin charging
(just calling them smart motorways for the moment until the FULL system goes FULLY live) and I believe it's also the real reason
DVLA/MOT/Insurance are databased already, purely in preparation for charging per mile.

/tinfoilhat

We're already in effect charged per-mile without any necessary extra infrastructure, around 65% of fuel cost is tax (~60ppl + VAT).

When electric cars take over they'll heavily tax electric.

They should allow more than 100MPH, as fuel usage increases drastically above 70mph, therefore by speeding I'm doing my bit for the benefit scroungers and NHS drainers.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically when will electric cars be the majority? 10 years? 20? I won't buy one until theres no option but to.
I can't be alone in enjoying the sound of engines? They can get a good decade or 2 of toll monies out of 40 million motorists first.
A not insignificant sum, plus haulage firms will surely get double spankings because diesel. Before they start on ramping up
the pressure on battery car owners to pay more, they've gotta get us all over to them first. How will all the owners of
500 quid shitboxes be able to afford shiny new electric cars until you can actually get one for 500 quid? I can't see
any government forcing people into electric cars going down well with the rank and file motorist. How can any
civilised government possibly force you to scrap your car before buying an 'approved' eco one? I say scrap
because you won't be able to sell it in the UK because it will be prohibited to own one. So, what do?
40 odd million motorists is 40 million votes so they will have to tread very carefully, because during my life I've come
to see that votes are the one and only thing politicians do care about.

Besides, they won't actually scrap them, I can see a mass export of all the 'old shitters' to the third world where they
will continue to belch out fumes, except there they will be maintained and driven by goat farmers so will cause probably
more pollution overall than they did here with access to mechanics, diagnostic equipment, decent fuel and an annual
health check in the form of an MOT. There's plenty of £££ to rinse from the internal combustion motorist yet.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing. They have had centuries of practice don't forget. However the one fly in their charging by the mile ointment as I currently see it is the ever increasing reliance on cameras and number plates. With less rozzers on the road, more extortion for using the public highways = no number plate or a cloned / fake one?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joncrete Cungle wrote:
The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing. They have had centuries of practice don't forget. However the one fly in their charging by the mile ointment as I currently see it is the ever increasing reliance on cameras and number plates. With less rozzers on the road, more extortion for using the public highways = no number plate or a cloned / fake one?

Cloned plates will be common. How are they going to tell until you have an accident or something that it is cloned. ANPR will just show up as 'blue fiesta' or whatever.

As long as you check the clonee is insured and MOT'd on the database, the chances of you being pulled are neglegable. Just change the plate every month or so to another one and they will never catch up with you.

Edited to add...

Even now if you get cloned it seems to be a nightmare YOU have to get out of. The police have their guilty party as far as they are concerned and aren't interested in your denials.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:29 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never clone a random plate, that's a churl's trick. Tut Tut

But while of course I'd never run with a nonesuch, foreign looking or politician's plate number either, if I did (which I wouldn't), I don't think it would concern me that much that I commute past a cop shop twice a day. I certainly haven't identified the bollarded off routes in that area which would allow #BakLayfing it away from a panda car.

Awaiting road charging with interest.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3