Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Swapping reg. numbers.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Swapping reg. numbers. Reply with quote

Just bought another bike (my third) and I'm swapping the No. plate from one to another. Obviously I'll have to shell out some dosh to my insurance company but what about MOT tickets ?, are the dates transferred as well or do I have to get them both re-MOT'd on receipt of the documentation stating the changes ?. What does 'The Panel' have to say ?.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT aren't affected. The frame number is on the certificate.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
MOT aren't affected. The frame number is on the certificate.

Thanks my friend much appreciated !.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience with moving private plates from vehicle to vehicle. It's much easier now MOT's and stuff
are databased, was a pain in the butt before when you had to take all your paperwork to local Doovla office. for a manual
swap over with new docs coming by snail mail.

Most recently, when I transferred the plate I bought for the Spacker onto it, it was all done and dusted in 12 hours with all the
relevant databases updated and the bike with new reg officially 'on the grid'. I reluctantly paid 30quid or something as an
admin fee to my insurer but apart from that it was all done on the dvla website with zero form filling.
Quite painless really. Hunting for one for the van now. I quite like CA11 GRR

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:42 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that could affect plate transfer to another vehicle is the state of vehicle duty on both. If not taxed they will not transfer. No tax on donor or recipient.
The dvla may have an on-line data base but they are all still Welsh Wankers down there.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
One thing that could affect plate transfer to another vehicle is the state of vehicle duty on both. If not taxed they will not transfer. No tax on donor or recipient.
The dvla may have an on-line data base but they are all still Welsh Wankers down there.

Not true I've got the v5 still in my name for an old cg125 that was stolen. I'm transferring that over to another k100 thats 5 years older. Neither will be taxed when I do it; ovviously not possible due to one bike being stolen.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
MCN wrote:

Not true I've got the v5 still in my name for an old cg125 that was stolen. I'm transferring that over to another k100 thats 5 years older. Neither will be taxed when I do it; ovviously not possible due to one bike being stolen.

Umm I thought you couldn't put a plate on a bike that makes it seem newer than it really is? Or does the cg125 already have a private plate?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent all my stuff off today, the V317 (I think it was), both V5C's and a cheque for eighty quid. Time will tell.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

Umm I thought you couldn't put a plate on a bike that makes it seem newer than it really is? Or does the cg125 already have a private plate?

Oops I meant younger I'm getting another 84k100 rhats having the plate from the 89cg125.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
MCN wrote:

Are you calling me a liar (you fucking piece of shit)?

I was telled by the Hag Behind the Glass at West Campbell Street, Glasgow DVLA that I could not/nada/couldnae move the plate from the R1200GS I had sold to a BMW dealer a week ago to my new R1200GS as the old bike I Part-exed for the new bike had no current MOT and therefore could not have road fund duty applied and to comply with 'their' rulez the donor must be taxed or SORNed.

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

I have transfered a private plate for some years now.

edit:
Or were you suggesting DVLA are not in fact Welsh Wankirs?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Oops I meant younger I'm getting another 84k100 rhats having the plate from the 89cg125.

So the CG plate is newer than the bike you are putting it on? I think Pete is right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can't make old look newer, that's quite true. Our car is a 15 plate but I bought a T prefixed 5 digit number
for my wifes 30th (originally for her fiat 500) which would suggest that our car is a 1999 model, except that they
didn't even make that car then, it was introduced here in 2006. I once had a MX5 which was a 2007 but plated as
an 2002, I surrendered (No fee that way) that reg back to DVLA before I sold the Mazda as I was concerned the reg
(which was already on the car when it was bought) might make a buyer think twice and deny me a sale.
It was reissued it's original 57 reg back again as that was still available. The private plate on my bike dates the bike
the same as it's original number but I specifically wanted a private plate with '66' in it anyway. I was literally waiting
for the 66 plate to come in before I made my purchase partially for that reason. It also means my next bike has to be
newer than a 66 in order to keep using said reg Wink Crafty...

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Are you calling me a liar (you fucking piece of shit)?

I was telled by the Hag Behind the Glass at West Campbell Street, Glasgow DVLA that I could not/nada/couldnae move the plate from the R1200GS I had sold to a BMW dealer a week ago to my new R1200GS as the old bike I Part-exed for the new bike had no current MOT and therefore could not have road fund duty applied and to comply with 'their' rulez the donor must be taxed or SORNed.

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

I have transfered a private plate for some years now.

edit:
Or were you suggesting DVLA are not in fact Welsh Wankirs?

Take a chill pill I was on the phone to the DVLA asking about it. Apparently thy rules have changed since the bike was stolen. As the plate for the CG is still in my name then I can still swap it over as it was never claimed back.

Quote:
You can make your car seem older than it actually is but you are not allowed to make it look newer. For example you cannot put an 11 number plate on a 07 plate car. Fancy or decorative fonts are also not allowed on car registration plates.

Looking at that what the DVLA woman said to me was a lie, however I'm going to try still see how it goes. I've got another bike that is 1989 anyway that it can be put straight on.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle

Bottom of the page.

Quote:
Conditions to put a registration number on a vehicle
You can’t:

put a private number onto a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
make the vehicle look newer than it is
Last updated: 30 January 2018

I'm not surprised the woman on the phone was wrong, DVLA employees haven't got a scooby what they are doing.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle

Bottom of the page.

Quote:
Conditions to put a registration number on a vehicle
You can’t:

put a private number onto a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
make the vehicle look newer than it is
Last updated: 30 January 2018

I'm not surprised the woman on the phone was wrong, DVLA employees haven't got a scooby what they are doing.

O 'ope they fuckin' scooby after all the trouble I've gone to.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Take a chill pill

Will I fook... I'm Wonnie Pickawing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1