Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125 pre-DAS, to buy or not to buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fredfreeloade...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: 125 pre-DAS, to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Newbie here. Got my CBT in September of last year. Loved it and wanted more - *opens wallet*.

Instructor on the day said I was generally good, a little ropey round the edges, but would probably be ok on a four day DAS, which I duly booked on the spot like an over-eager schoolgirl.

DAS is now a few weeks away (work commitments since sept) and I've only had an hour on a friends 125 since the CBT. I'm a little worried that 4 days wont be enough to pick up everything i'll need for a successful test pass.

Given the price of DAS I don't really want repeat the exercise if possible, especially as i'll already be spending fair bit buying helmet/gear etc.

I would welcome opinions on whether its now worth going all in and buying an old 125 to get some good ride time in for a few weeks ahead of the DAS with the hope this leads to a first time pass.

I would take a hit on the insurance (not insignificant for a newbie) as I would need to flog it after a successful test to free up cash for a bigger bike (not sure how long I'd want to spend 125ing-around with a full licence in my pocket!)

Anyone done something similar / can think of an alternative or other option which may help?

Thanks all...
Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:34 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't bother buying a 125 but you could book a 5 day DAS instead of a 4 which would be significantly cheaper for that extra day compared to the expense associated with buying a 125. It may give you some useful breathing space. Don't over think it either, I think you'll surprise yourself when you get on a bigger bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:43 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes little financial sense.

You'll be gambling on a used 125 without any experience in spotting problems. You're guaranteed to lose a big chunk of the insurance money. Then you've got the pleasure of every Daryyyl on Gumtree offering you a hard Staffie for it, and every sensible buyer asking why you've only owned it for a month.

It's easy to spack up the mod 1 in particular and dab a foot down or have a wobble, but even if you used a 125 for a trial run at it (which I recommend if you already own one), you've still got to actually do it right on the day on the big bike, and no amount of training, practise or delay will change that.

Just go for it and tackle problems on the road rather than in your head.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had an hour on a friend's, can't you have a couple more?

You only need to get the habit of how to ride/go/stop/change gear so that the sequence of movements feels normal.

How the bike actually behaves, feels and responds will be different for each bike and deffo different btw a 125 and 600... So you don't need to get used to that. That's what the training's for. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:36 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar thing for my A2 tests. CBT in summer, messed about for a few months, 4 day A2 DAS course in February. Hadn't ridden at all in the interim and I think ropy would be a fair description of my riding.

In the interest of full disclosure I didn't pass first time (cocked up the MOD2 once), but you'll be surprised how quickly it comes back and how comfortable you feel after even an hour or so. If you're worried, have a chat with the instructor and maybe take the first morning of your DAS on a 125 just to get back into the swing of things.

Worth noting that even an extra day training and a retake of a module is much cheaper and simpler than buying, insuring and reselling a 125 just to practice on.

Fredfreeloade...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, some wise words there - seems like I might have been suffering from a slight case of 'sledge hammer to a nut' syndrome.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the friend's bike but i'll certainly investigate tacking an extra day on to the DAS - that hadn't occurred to me tbh.

I have also just discovered a bike rental place near(ish) to me which is offering 125's for a week at £100. Might also be a good option to get back into the ride/go/stop/change gear sequence as suggested - will give me [an excuse to buy sooner] chance to get comfortable with my new gear as well!

Thanks for the encouragement - feeling a bit happier about getting stuck in now. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Fredfreeloader on 17:45 - 23 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:40 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredfreeloader wrote:
i'll certainly investigate tacking an extra day on to the DAS

Why do an extra day that you might not need? You can learn during your test, but you can't get a license during your training.

However, £100 for a week on a 125 isn't too bad - you'd likely pay that for a day of instructed training. You could even book in for a mod 1 on it to get any test nerves out of the way. Just do that at least 5 days (what a normal human would call the DVSA's "3 days") before your big-bike mod 1 in case you fail it.

Whatever you do, don't build it up into something bigger than it is. It's a couple of short tests that aren't that hard to pass.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:46 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all people posting on here know what a DAS course is actually like? Some/most of you passed years before it was even introduced! It's not one-on-one strict instruction with the instructors focusing on you for 6 hours straight. From my experience there was only about 3 hours on the bike each day. (maybe my place was bad - who knows)

I'd recommend getting as much practise on the 125 before you get to the course - from my own experience there will be between 3 and 5 of you (with ranging skill) on the course and you dont have all day to pick up the basics. If you can master the fig 8 and u-turn on the 125 its a great basis to work from.

Mine was a 4-day course and i felt a lot of pressure to get upto standard, maybe a 5 day course would suit you.

As other have said though, dont buy a 125, borrow one (or rent one that seems cheap enough). The road riding (Mod 2) is super easy on a 600+, but the for me the off road manoeuvres (Mod 1) were the tricky bit. Get to an empty car park, use some cones and the correct measurements for the fig of 8 and u turn (google is your friend) and practise practise until you can do super tight manoeuvres.

good luck!

Ash

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:23 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Do all people posting on here know what a DAS course is actually like? Some/most of you passed years before it was even introduced! It's not one-on-one strict instruction with the instructors focusing on you for 6 hours straight. From my experience there was only about 3 hours on the bike each day. (maybe my place was bad - who knows)

I'd recommend getting as much practise on the 125 before you get to the course - from my own experience there will be between 3 and 5 of you (with ranging skill) on the course and you dont have all day to pick up the basics. If you can master the fig 8 and u-turn on the 125 its a great basis to work from.

Mine was a 4-day course and i felt a lot of pressure to get upto standard, maybe a 5 day course would suit you.

As other have said though, dont buy a 125, borrow one (or rent one that seems cheap enough). The road riding (Mod 2) is super easy on a 600+, but the for me the off road manoeuvres (Mod 1) were the tricky bit. Get to an empty car park, use some cones and the correct measurements for the fig of 8 and u turn (google is your friend) and practise practise until you can do super tight manoeuvres.

good luck!

Ash

Yes, I did mine at the beginning of last year. 4 day course and it was fine for me. CBT was 5th March, Mod 1 was 2nd May and Mod 2 3 days later. No riding in between CBT and Mod 1/2. No previous experience on bikes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Do all people posting on here know what a DAS course is actually like?

I found it exhausting, with a years experience on a 125, and it was only two days training with both tests on the third day. I don't know if session based is better, the problem then is gaps between lessons/tests.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Mine was 2.5 days of riding, 9-5 with a couple of tea breaks with two separate test days. The school booked tests in bulk so dates were easily available. There was usually 2-3 of us per instructor and the standard of instruction was high. Mod 1 test day had a couple of hours of off road training (3 of us, two instructors) then the three of us went to the test centre for the test. Mod 2 day I had an hour of individual instruction before the test.

I spread the training and test days over about a month and I had 4 months of experience on a 125 plus lots of previous car experience and I found it all OK. Cost about £650 I think.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:48 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

How could we, since "DAS course" is just an ah hoc description of some training that's entirely between you and your instructor.

If you only got 3 hours a day on the bike, I'd suggest that you got mugged off.

It is a cautionary tale for OP though. Your actual instructor is going to be critical. If he's a Teffers McTalksalot who spends more time having fag and coffee breaks than letting you get on with riding, you might indeed struggle.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:31 - 24 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

How could we, since there's a "DAS course" is just an ah hoc description of some training that's entirely between you and your instructor.

If you only got 3 hours a day on the bike, I'd suggest that you got mugged off.

It is a cautionary tale for OP though. Your actual instructor is going to be critical. If he's a Teffers McTalksalot who spends more time having fag and coffee breaks than letting you get on with riding, you might indeed struggle.

I was about to say pretty much the same thing

My DAS course was done over the space of 5 weeks, having 1 to 2 hour lessons once or twice a week in the evenings and on weekends, suited me perfectly as i didn't have to take any time off work (except for the 2 tests)

Not all DAS courses are 3-4 day intensives you know

I really don't think i would have taken well to having 3-4 full days in a row, my CBT was draining enough and that was about 7 hours long

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: As said before Reply with quote

I, imho, don't like teaching for a whole 'day'. I can't do 6 hours riding without wanting to put the bike in a hedge and get a taxi. How anyone thinks a new rider can get on a bike and ride for a whole day and be learning anything after hour 4 is beyond me. There's a reason schools put pe at the end of the day.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:08 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the variation of DAS courses? I'm glad I brought it up Very Happy

OP make sure you choose the right option for you!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: As said before Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
There's a reason schools put pe at the end of the day.

Double PE first thing for all of my (secondary) school years Smile I agree with you though, learning to drive a car as a complete noob was mentally exhausting, I wouldn't recommend an intensive course for that. With biking it seems to be the (usual) way to go, even though I think the same applies.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the 5 day one, the extra day is usually started on a 125, if you were good during your CBT, you should pick it up fine.

Oh and if you are going to be hiring a 125, for some wobbly practice, make sure the insurance excess is not silly. There's. A good chance you will drop it, fine on the school bikes with crashbars already dented, you'll be fine on the 5 day, and on day 2 you'll be on the 600cc, and you'll love it.

I trained with Pro Scot in Kirkcaldy Fife, rarely more than 2 students per instructor, they also hire the actual test centre for an afternoon, so you can run through a few mock tests using the DVLA equipment and course (with terrific runway style tarmac that had huge grip Smile ) and timing equipment for swerve/emergency stop etc, but at the very least they should be able to get you to a wide open space and allow you to practice the mod1 manoeuvres.

Good luck

Fredfreeloade...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:43 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree with you though, learning to drive a car as a complete noob was mentally exhausting, I wouldn't recommend an intensive course for that..

Unfortunately this is exactly how I did lean to drive a car Laughing It definitely wasn't the most relaxing of experiences (although it did get the job done) and probably why I now have a few reservations about the 'intensive' DAS.

Must admit to being slightly surprised by the variation of DAS courses. The 3/4/5 day intensive route seemed to be the only option near to me so I just went for the school with the best 'real world' reviews I could find. I was also told that the ratio of 2:1 students to instructors was an absolute maximum (although on consideration I'm not sure if this applies off road).

Quote:
Oh and if you are going to be hiring a 125, for some wobbly practice, make sure the insurance excess is not silly. There's. A good chance you will drop it, fine on the school bikes with crashbars already dented

Yes- this had occurred to me. I didn't feel like I was close to dropping it on the CBT but now doing the slow speed stuff / extra wobble runs it might be a bit more of a concern!

Thanks again for wise words / encouragement - think the way forward might be an extra day on the DAS just for some breathing space otherwise it'll be a (very careful) few evenings in a local car park with youtube and the cones. Tbh, I just want to get back on any type of bike asap now - which can only be a good sign!? Thumbs Up

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'd recommend buying a 125 so that you get the road experience and muscle-memory. However if your DAS is only weeks away then it's really not worth buying a 125 as (assuming you pass it) you'll be wanting to sell the 125 almost as soon as you've bought it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1