Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wireless Headphones recommendations please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Wireless Headphones recommendations please Reply with quote

Hi

Simply put, want a pair of over-ear wireless headphones with active noise cancelling which usually wouldn't be a problem, there's plenty of choice, but what I'm struggling with is getting to demo them to any great extent and reviewers seem to contradict each other in reviews, which leads me not to trust them particularly.

So to that end, I'mhoping someone will have had an opportunity to demo / experience a few different brands and can share that experience of back-to-back listening.

I've narrowed it down to 3 (4 really) that I'm interested in:
1) Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless (or the replacement PX range).
2) Bose QuietComfort 35.
3) Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2.

Requirements:
Over ear rather than on ear for comfort sake.
Good noise cancelling.
Wireless - not interested in cables.
As good a sound as I can get.
Not too fussed about:
Battery life within reason.
Weight as long as they're comfortable / design or fold away capability.

Budget ££ to £££ but not ££££.

My concern is that I like a heavier bass signature than most but I don't want the mids utterly washed out by it. When the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 1's came on the scene they were said to be bass heavy without being overbearing and likewise the B&W P7's - at this point my choice was pretty much between 'go cheap and hope' or 'buy once buy right' with the B&W. Now though, reviews of the Backbeat Pro 2 are saying that the bass is too heavy, like the 1's, which puts me off both, and even more annoying is that the B&W PX reviews are saying that the P7's were also too heavy on the bass which wasn't the case before even though it's the same reviewer; my guess is the PX are a 'cleaner' more balanced soundstage compared to the P7 which in itself sounds like they're the ones to go for but a) I like bass a bit heavier and b) the P7's were apparently perfect last year so who knows what the PX's will be next year.

The obvious answer is to test them, but the nearest place to me I can find is a good half hour drive away and I've a busy January on the go. It may have to wait, but...

Tempted just to plump the cash for the P7's but if anyone has any experience of them or other recommendations I'd be very grateful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:03 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of just pure wireless headphones but a lot of experience with wireless headsets for gaming, with mics, etc.

If it's wireless, then the sound cards are built in to the headphones themselves, isn't that right?

I did toy with going with wired again after many years for the superior sound as I have a good external sound card but I just can't deal with wiring.

No experience with said brands I'm afraid, all mine is with Logitech, Steel series, Razer & Turtle Beach.

Currently rocking Steelseries Siberia 840's and they are very good.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:17 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bose Offer, a 2 week trial period on all their kit.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:32 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but I got some Bose QC25's about a month ago, and I love them

I have big flappy ears, and really struggle with getting headphones that are comfortable. When I tried them on in the Bose store, they immediately felt an order of magnitude better than anything I'd tried up until that point.

I've not used the noise cancelling on a plane yet, but based on using them in the office at work, they seem pretty impressive.

The QC25s are wired, but you can get a Bluetooth adaptor (specifically designed for the QC25) for $70. Link

I got a pair used on eBay for £85, but most of them seem to got for anywhere between £105-£150.
You can buy new from John Lewis (£170) or Bose (£180), plus the adaptor, at which point the QC35's are probably the better bet for a little extra cash.

If you are anywhere near a Bose store, they generally have a few sets available to test out.

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:32 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bose QC35s are excellent Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:24 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bose, will never go anywhere else after those. Phenomenal set of headphones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting because for some reason even though I know deep down the Bose are the obvious choice for a reason, for some reason that makes me not want them. But I guess it'll be hard to overlook them.

Thanks for the advice so far.

One other thing you guys might be able to help me on. I have Sonos indoors and use Deezer via the Sonos app. I can of course also use Deezer in browser logged into account. Would the headphones' controls respond and work with Deezer in that way?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Bose QuietComforts, if you regularly use a bus or train then they _may_ annoy you - any pressure changes in the cabin causes the noise cancelling some irritating issues (e.g. going through a tunnel when on a train - even going over big bumps can do this when on a bus) - I'm guessing other noise-cancelling headphones probably suffer a similar issue, though.

Otherwise they're excellent.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar choice to make back in April, I ended up with Sony MDR1000X and I've not looked back.

I felt similar unexplainable resentment towards the bose if I'm honest. The fact they were "the ones to have" made them a little less desirable. Plus the pushy bose saleswoman put me off.

But honestly back to back in the shop the noise cancelling and sound quality were as good as each other, the touch pad controls and other little features on the Sonys were what really nailed it for me.

A couple.of weeks later they did the whole journey to Brisbane on a single charge which made me super happy, and they now do a good two to three weeks daily commuting between charges.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. I'll look at those too. At least they're available for test round the corner from work so when I get a moment I can use them as a benchmark at worst and a purchase at best.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind with the Bose headphones, or any noise cancelling headphones as opposed to earphones I guess, is if you wear glasses, depending on the frame etc I found that the arm broke the seal on the cup which meant that the noise cancelling was not as good as without glasses on, still works just not nearly as well.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Cheers for that. I'll look at those too. At least they're available for test round the corner from work so when I get a moment I can use them as a benchmark at worst and a purchase at best.

Sprung myself into action and visited the local Curry's - Jesus, what a depressing place that is; staff standing right by the side of me and then when you need help, they've got their back to you Laughing Still, I got what I needed.

Tried 3 pairs:
1) Bang & Olufsen H9. £400+ Shocked
Well made that's for sure, construction better than anything else I've seen. Sound wise they were good but not extraordinary IMO. They had good levels of bass without killing off the rest of the range - which is interesting as I've just read the tech-radar report which says they're overly bass heavy and muddled in the mid range as a result - I can't say I found that at all, so that goes to show why you need to try before you buy. Noise cancelling wasn't exactly brilliant TBH, in fact I was quite let down by it. The controls were fiddly and the sound wasn't so good I'd splurge that kind of cash for them - so they're a no.
2) Bose QC35ii. £330.
Nowhere near as well made as the B&O but still ok, just not impressive. Sound wise they're exactly as the brand and the design and the advertising sells them as - the best all round, but ultimately quite boring. I wouldn't be disappointed with them but at the same time there's nothing to drive me towards them either. They're very good, but not exceptional. There's no pronounced bass and when there was because the song had it, at higher volumes they struggled to produce it cleanly. The noise cancelling though - wow, at first I didn't think it did anything then as I cycled through the levels, on high with no music it took out a massive amount of ambient noise, really took me by surprise. I did have some fiddles getting bluetooth to work properly which was a concern. So NC is good, sound is good but perhaps not entirely to my taste. Construction alright. Controls / connectivity a bit meh.
3) Sony MDR1000X. £260.
Construction wise I have to say they did feel a step down from the Bose, which against the B&O is quite a step. The display pair were quite badly marked up which others in the display didn't show signs of, but the important bits were still holding up so I guess it's not a disaster. Sound wise they were responsive, energetic and livelier sounding than the Bose which I do prefer but - and I can't really explain this - the more vibrant reproduction of sound did make my ears hurt a bit after a few songs. I do think for most people they would make the Bose look silly in the sound stakes, if that's what you like. I'm just not sure I like that. I was however impressed with them and for the money, despite the construction not being as good, I would choose them over the Bose I think.

However, now I'm back to the levels of bass. If tech-radar reckon the B&O are overkill on bass then the tech-radar report of the B&W says the same thing roughly, which probably means that I'll like them, a lot.

So I can't rule out the B&W without trying them now. Which means I've got to trundle off to a John Lewis over in the west end at some point - deep joy.....

There's also still an outside bet on the Plantronics which I might buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy and just send them back if they don't tick my boxes. We shall see.

Further forward, but possibly with more questions than answers now Laughing

Cheers.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, no Sad I've doubled F'd myself. Just been to Richer Sounds and tried a set of these:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/oppo-pm-3

O.M.G they're teh bizzies. The sound is blow you away good. Crisp, punchy and vibrant without being overdone; I couldn't perceive any weaknesses.

Except one big weakness; which is that they're wired and I wanted wireless. Doh. TBF I was quite surprised when, upon inquiring of their range of wireless headphones, they came out of the display cabinet. But I guess they didn't hear that bit. Or they just wanted me to fall in love with them and then to hell with it. Worked; can't get over how good they were. But now, I'm stumped because the whole point of the headphones idea was wireless use.

My only hope now is that the B&W really measure up against the Oppo - if they do, then I'll be a very happy bunny. If they don't I'm going to be constantly disappointed by whatever I buy. Oh Doh!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ack, no Sad I've doubled F'd myself. Just been to Richer Sounds and tried a set of these:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/oppo-pm-3

O.M.G they're teh bizzies. The sound is blow you away good. Crisp, punchy and vibrant without being overdone; I couldn't perceive any weaknesses.

Except one big weakness; which is that they're wired and I wanted wireless. Doh. TBF I was quite surprised when, upon inquiring of their range of wireless headphones, they came out of the display cabinet. But I guess they didn't hear that bit. Or they just wanted me to fall in love with them and then to hell with it. Worked; can't get over how good they were. But now, I'm stumped because the whole point of the headphones idea was wireless use.

My only hope now is that the B&W really measure up against the Oppo - if they do, then I'll be a very happy bunny. If they don't I'm going to be constantly disappointed by whatever I buy. Oh Doh!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wireless+bluetooth+transmitter+receiver

just make sure it's aptX

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - presumably with that, I'd still have to have 'the wire' and then the adapter would just be stuck in a pocket or something?

Hmm; the appeal was purely that they wouldn't have a wire which is the thing I really can't stand. The adapter would give an extra element over wired in that I wouldn't have to carry the device (would be a PITA on my tablet, for example) but if I've still got a trailing wire I don't know if that's just going to piss me off too much Mad

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, unfortunately, not ideal but gives options on connectivity. Some of the devices are small enough that you could theoretically attach it to the headphones with a shorter cable. DIY wireless Laughing but you may look like a tit if you give a fuck about that sort of thing.

Not ideal but would work. Also I haven't been able to find a small unit that does both transmission and receiving simultaneously, most of them are switching, this is fine for listening to music but pants if you want to use the mic as a headset.

I was looking for a decent set of noise cancelling headphones for a long time, but ran into many of the same issues and eventually gave up and bought nice buds and some decent comply foam tips, they block a lot of ambient noise, but nothing has come close to the serenity of those bose qc's Crying or Very sad

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKG 845BT for me ... rarely use them wirelessly though as i don't care for that

Sound far better driven off a proper headphone amp through a cable.

Oh and no NC either, i'll get my coat Very Happy

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Astro A50 wireless gaming headphones,they were not cheap at the time.

I would not recommend them. Battery life is not great. Headphones are heavy and uncomfortable, the material round the ears is itchy especially when you are sweating like Gary Glitter on a school bus. They also beep and shutdown after only a few minutes of non activity. I really hate this aspect more than the others as I've got to press a button to get them back on. grumble grumble

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:43 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Skullcandy Crusher's

https://www.skullcandy.co.uk/headphones/wireless-headphones/CRUSHERBT.html#lCE9kT0QexOgHdIo.97

Very impressed with them. Especially the adjustable bass depending on what mood I'm in. Not noise cancelling however, but I've never felt that to be a downside.

Quite a bit cheaper than most in this thread but worth a look (~£100). I tried them at an HMV last year and had to have them. Very Happy

Something I would always say is a must is the option to connect a wire on any wireless set.
I use mine whenever I fly, so the bluetooth function is out of action in airplane mode, and the cable can attach to the seat for whatever you're watching.
They are the one thing I insist on carry on to a plane, the rest can go in the hold for all I care. Laughing

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair of the Sony WH-1000XM2 which is the new version of the MDR's.

Can't really fault them. The audio quality is not as good as my open backed Massdrop AKG's but it is better than almost any other non-studio level headphones I have used. Light and comfortable on the head and the noise cancelling/ambient modes are really good. Yet to try in a plane but will be travelling again this week so I will get to try them then.

I haven't had a proper go at tweaking things on the EQ yet either.

I probably wouldn't have spent £330 on them but I had a gift card for John Lewis and am glad I did now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1