Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance: Leathers & Helmet Cover, Worth it or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Insurance: Leathers & Helmet Cover, Worth it or not? Reply with quote

Fairly simple one i hope, what are peoples thoughts on leathers & helmet cover when it comes to insurance

My renewal is due middle of Feb, and getting some quotes in, i can get fully comp cover, with commuting, on my 600 Hornet (1 years NCD, full licence for 6 months) for either £110 with Hastings Direct, or £145 with Hastings Premier (including leathers & helmet cover, and legal cover)

So, what would you do?

And anyone ever actually used leather & helmet cover, or is it not worth the paper its written on

Also, any known issues with Hastings Direct/Premier (underwritten by Advantage)

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with shit gear so couldn't give a toss if it's torn up.

How much is your gear worth RRP?

I've used Hastings for 4 years of my riding (usually the cheapest aside from MCE Sick ), I've got no complaints.
I think Advantage was one of my underwriters too, but I've never made a claim so I guess that's for nought.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 17:47 - 28 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

they'll want receipts and will take wear and tear into consideration as this type of insurance was being raped 15 years ago as everybody who claimed was wearing dainese leathers and an Arai Rx7
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I ride with shit gear so couldn't give a toss if it's torn up.

How much is your gear worth RRP?

I've used Hastings for 4 years of my riding (usually the cheapest aside from MCE Sick ), I've got no complaints.
I think Advantage was one of my underwriters too, but I've never made a claim so I guess that's for nought.

Well, i have an RST Blade jacket, and RST leather trousers (both about £200 retail, though i only paid about £120 each, brand new) and my helmet is worth a couple of hundred

I'm thinking for the extra £35 for the piece of mind, i'm half tempted, they would literally have to offer me peanuts for them for me to be out of pocket................. hmmm, decisions, decisions

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event that you get taken out by a third party. Surely you just claim the cost of your leathers/helmet from them rather than needing specific "cover".

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I'm thinking for the extra £35 for the piece of mind, i'm half tempted, they would literally have to offer me peanuts for them for me to be out of pocket................. hmmm, decisions, decisions

If it was me I would be looking at how accident prone I have been or not in the time I've been riding.

Personally I try to do everything to avoid sliding down the road.
As a wise man once said...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/52/fe/5f/52fe5f1e2e8755940a59a05054946774--rick-and-morty-quotes-yearbook-quotes.jpg

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
In the event that you get taken out by a third party. Surely you just claim the cost of your leathers/helmet from them rather than needing specific "cover".

Commuter_Tim wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

If it was me I would be looking at how accident prone I have been or not in the time I've been riding.

Personally I try to do everything to avoid sliding down the road.
As a wise man once said...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/52/fe/5f/52fe5f1e2e8755940a59a05054946774--rick-and-morty-quotes-yearbook-quotes.jpg

Both very good points, see this is why i needed some other thoughts on the matter

Swaying me to not bother with it now, and £35 saved to spend on fuel Twisted Evil

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The excess is too high (and most don't specify whether it's per accident or per item - if per item then!) and the cover is Indemnity less wear and tear, so they'll deduct an age schedule from each item (which they don't specify - but I'd guess a 5 Year helmet lifespan).

Did I mention no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
No. The excess is too high (and most don't specify whether it's per accident or per item - if per item then!) and the cover is Indemnity less wear and tear, so they'll deduct an age schedule from each item (which they don't specify - but I'd guess a 5 Year helmet lifespan).

Did I mention no?

Awesome, cheers Arry, just the sort of answer i was hoping for

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Did I mention no?

Always handy to have a man on the inside. Twisted Evil

You know you might be the only man working insurance that will go to heaven...
That was a joke, there obviously isn't a heaven. Whistle

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get asked every year about this cover and I always say No thank you.

To me it's utterly pointless unless I was wearing say 2 Grand Rukka with a £600 helmet...

My motorcycle clothing costs a packet and it lasts a few years even in my line of work.
If an item was damaged in an accident, I just buy new, besides it's tax deductible.

Yorick
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:46 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my gear is covered by the house insurance. A few years ago I binned it at Donington and claimed on my house insurance.

They paid full retail for a new Arai and deducted about 30% of the cost of new Dainese leathers. I had to send picture proof of damage.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
All my gear is covered by the house insurance. A few years ago I binned it at Donington and claimed on my house insurance.

They paid full retail for a new Arai and deducted about 30% of the cost of new Dainese leathers. I had to send picture proof of damage.

Nice, handy to know, cheers

I have now renewed my insurance, and left off the leathers & helmet cover Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest - if I were to write a proper product, with proper cover, and proper limits, would anyone buy it at 50-60 quid a pop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

That's strange (but interesting to know). What company is that?

I've got the Hastings cover, as it happens - I hummed and haa'ed over whether to do so, though having just checked my policy and cottoned on (thanks arry) that the excess is evidently in addition to the excess I'd be paying for damage to the bike, I certainly won't do so next time! The Hastings leathers policy specifically excludes racing/track days etc, so seems odd to me that a household policy would cover that?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
would anyone buy it at 50-60 quid a pop?

Dependent on the small print, most likely yes.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The Hastings leathers policy specifically excludes racing/track days etc, so seems odd to me that a household policy would cover that?

It's unintentional cover; not specific cover. That is to say, they've forgotten to specifically exclude it, rather than they have deliberately designed cover for it.

I've had a look at a few wordings and you do need to be careful though; under Contents they're included whilst at the home, and outside of it up to £1000 only, whereas under Personal Possessions they are included away from the home, but could be 'loosely' defined as sports equipment which would then preclude them from cover whilst 'in use'.

As I say, motorcyclists are a minority and there probably aren't enough claims coming through to make them think about excluding it - but home insurance is not specifically designed to pick it up.

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:25 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be cheaper if you have a home contents policy to cover them under the "personal possessions" section. My contents policy includes a certain value (£1000 I think) of unspecified possessions outside the home, and paid out happily when I damaged most of my kit in a trackday fall.

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:54 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems most people are saying no... I would just say from my experience with one claim it was worth it.

I got hit by an uninsured van driver and so had to claim off my own insurance for the bike. I had helmet and leather covers with a £50 excess and I made the claim. I mean, I had to really as my helmet had slid a couple of meters down someones drive with me attached.

I ended up out of pocket by quite a bit because of the uninsured prick, but at least i was £150 better off than I would have been.

I mean, I lost my no claims, and have shitty premiums... but its a little less shitty than it was. My helmet was about 6 months old and they used the "Purchased price" to take the excess off.

Oh and my helmets policy was with a different underwriter. I thought it would be a pain to have to claim again, but actually was pretty easy.

Anyway, that was my experience of using it, I'll take it out again if it's offered in Spain

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Out of interest - if I were to write a proper product, with proper cover, and proper limits, would anyone buy it at 50-60 quid a pop?

Personally, probably not - my gear is probably about £800-1200, but if I come off badly enough to ruin it (except helmet) I've probably got other more pressing issues in my life health wise. If I'm knocked off (again!) then it's on the other party' claim...
That's just my logic anyhow....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1