Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clothing Sizes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:06 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Clothing Sizes Reply with quote

Hi, I have been looking in some Cycle shops and on eBay a lot but can't seem to find the right answers. I am looking for cycle clothing and in particular leggings. What size would I need?

I am 6ft 1in tall. 30 inch waist, 33 inside leg I normally wear 34" leg trousers because 32 are too short. I want the leggings to go to the shoes and I see some have hoops to keep them down under the foot but don't want to find that after washing them I need to either shrink myself or moon everywhere.

Also Jackets and tops I would normally wear a medium, I assume this will still be the same.

I would be grateful for any help, the shops I have been to didn't have much of a clothing range in.

I am not fussed at all about brands but had been looking at muddyfox in sports direct and on the bay. I don't mind lycra (I normally wear skinny or slim jeans or trousers) but I don't want to be a sky billboard lol.

Thanks

Stephen

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling clothing is often close-fitting, especially road-based jerseys. Some prima donna brands (Rapha, Castelli etc) are know for sizing up small. Muddy Fox* kit is essentially disposable, so try it and see. I have some Muddy Fox jerseys that I got as a starter and it fitted as expected (I took a medium and it fitted in the sleeve, body length etc) but I rarely wear them now as I moved on and bought nicer stuff. If I were doing it again I would start with B'twin stuff from Decathlon, which is equally low priced but genuinely better stuff and they usually have plenty in the stores to try on.

Alternatively online places like Wiggle, Evans Cycles, Chain Reaction Cycles, Sigma Sports etc offer some good value options and you can always return it if it doesn't fit/you don't like it. Planet X/On-One do some good value stuff too.

As for Lycra etc it depends what you are looking to do in it. I wear skin-tight lycra leggings and close-fitting jerseys on the road bike but looser trousers and tops for MTB.

*Muddy Fox used to be a well-respected brand in cycling in the 80s/90s - this is one of the brands Sports Direct has bought up to punt stuff out; same for Karrimor, they are essentially Sports Direct's own-brands now.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:53 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Weasley, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately for me none of the retailers you mention operate in the Stoke area so everything has to be online other than Sports Direct who have a superstore in every town* and I was aware that Muddy Fox like Karrimor had been chavved down by Ashley.

Still I have never had any specific bike gear before, I currently use Umbro "Football" gear and lycra base layers but I only have shorts and not leggings and would like a bit better stuff.

I don't mind tight lycra - that isn't the issue it is the length of the leggings I need to bear in mind, I want neither baggy or loose leggings that fit my length nor tight fitted that are halfway up my ankle - I might as well carry on with shorts lol.

I was watching on ebay some medium leggings where the seller had listed the inside leg as 32" so have asked him how tall he is lol.

Looks like I will have to take a punt.

* Except Burslem no one has anything there

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:42 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.wiggle.co.uk or www.chainreactioncycles.com

Buy stuff and send it back if it doesn't fit. Thumbs Up

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:26 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought some gear from Sports Direct.
I got some three-quarter length bib-shorts and a jersey. Both Muddy Fox.

I'm 6' tall, with stumpy little 29" legs and a 32 or 34" waist, depending on where I buy clothes from. I have quite a long torso.

I bought large for both. The jersey fits absolutely fine. The bib-shorts are a wee bit snug on the shoulders but otherwise, they're absolutely fine too.

I'm going to give Decathlon a go. There's no shops near me, but I did a free click n' collect from my local ASDA with them when I bought a hydro-backpack thing. Their clothes seem cheap, and have lots of reviews too.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:22 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to Decathlon Stockport tomorrow as its the closest to me, I have been looking online at their stuff and from what I can see, and the reviews plus what you guys have been saying then it should be ok. I did land on some new size large leggings on the bay for £2 plus postage a couple of days ago - If they are too big then I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1