BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How safe is it to park a motorbike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:31 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking is learning by DOING not by asking... and all you're doing is asking!

All the reading and studying is no substitute for miles on the road. Stop asking and start doing.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Stop asking and start doing.

In another context that could be misconstrued as rape. Whistle

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
Basically. Basically. I am used to absolutes

Bark! Bark! I'm a cat.

TheDaveStream wrote:
I am used to being able to ask questions and get helpful replies. I am not really used to having some one call my manhood into question

That was the helpful reply. Your fretting is not proportional to the risk. And it you're really that risk averse, then biking (or even scootaying) probably isn't for you.

TheDaveStream wrote:
or tell me I will get in a nasty accident because I follow the rules of the road (thanks for the confidence boost there tef)

Oh, more helpful advice: don't take Tef seriously. They let him make the tea once for the CBT instructors at a training school, and it's rather gone to his head.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever i park my bike in town to go to the bank, or get a haircut etc I park my bike right out in the open, no chain, no alarm, just the steering lock on............. On my way back to the carpark, i am talking to myself in my head - is it still there, is it still there, is it still there............................... until i see the front wheel come in to view Very Happy then i'm happy.

It is a nerve racking experience, but innevitably you are going to have to leave it on its own at some point, but Tef is right, even though he said it over and over and over, until i scrolled down! maybe he said it 1 more time, butyou have got more chance of fucking it up yourself before it getting stolen in a pub carpark whilst having a spot of lunch!

BTW what time are you going, so i can have the van ready!! Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:02 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An unexpected Error has occurred"

If it's unexpected...... How come they have expected it sufficiently to put an error message for it in the program?

Or, why to they call it 'De-Oderant' when it smells to high hell? If you de-coke an engine, you take away the carbon on the valves.... not swap it for a soot of another colour!?!?

This, and many other unexplained mysteries of the modern world.... like why to 'stop' windows, you have to click a tab marked 'start'.. are first world worries that deserve a little ponderation...

But I am not going to give myself a nervous breakdown over them, or starve to death worrying about them before deciding what to have for dinner.....

Dave, you are hoping for absolutes in a world of uncertainty, and ignoring the obvious to ponder the irrelevant.

Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:17 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the world isn't black and white, it's on a spectrum. Like OP.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:

am disqualified as I am a scooter owner lol

https://preview.ibb.co/cG8ozR/Quadrophenia_103_Pyxurz.jpg

Didn't have a very extensive lexicon the Mods did they?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
I know that you need to lock the front and rear wheel, I know that you chain it to something Unmovable...... but what if you cant?

Have you tried lying it on it's side and taking the wheels off? Eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know op

I'm accepted

I own scooters

Just stop being a fanny Thumbs Up

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Just so you know op

I'm accepted

I own scooters

Yeah about that andy, I've been meaning to tell you...
Every time you go offline Ste keeps calling you a fucking piece of shit.
...Probably the scooter thing right? Whistle Laughing

Tell the truth I would like another scoot as a side ride.
Unfortunately my scooter caused a lot more attacks on the security chain than my shit commuters do.
Scooters are like crack to... well, people who are probably crackheads.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride a rat. It's not nickable with even the shittiest security on it to deter casually pushing it away for shits and giggles.

If you ride something a feral shit wants, you need to make it "uneconomical" in terms of time, noise, faff etc, to have it away.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
Just so you know op

I'm accepted

I own scooters

Yeah about that andy, I've been meaning to tell you...
Every time you go offline Ste keeps calling you a fucking piece of shit.
...Probably the scooter thing right? Whistle Laughing

Tell the truth I would like another scoot as a side ride.
Unfortunately my scooter caused a lot more attacks on the security chain than my shit commuters do.
Scooters are like crack to... well, people who are probably crackheads.

I heard borg said the same
and bodyguard called me a fanny as I don't ride everyday
but I has no rainpal Rolling Eyes

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lamp post in the left of the car park: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6768686,1.2241636,3a,75y,241.1h,80.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBXMlMCkdOZiutlnbqdFwjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Or the trees in the right hand side.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:

Or the trees in the right hand side.

We still talking about parking?

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe some of the negativity and abuse this lads getting just because he wants to make his bike extra safe.

I am also new to riding, passed my CBT just before christmas and currently have a YBR 125. Just going to argos or the bank for 5 mins I'm thinking about my baby outside and if she's ok, and yes i called it my baby because I have wanted to be a biker for so long and can now only just afford it, and if it gets nicked, I'd be heartbroken. There's nothing wrong with asking experienced riders about security of your motorcycle, we look to more experienced people for a lot of advice as we are new to this and the lad gets a shit load of negetivity? No need man!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Wait Reply with quote

He's not a lad he's nearly fucking forty......if it gets nicked it gets nicked. Do your best to stop them by all means, but, don't fret about it whilst shopping. Let's be honest cupcake, no-ones following you on the off chance you forget to chain it up.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:51 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with asking experienced riders about security of your motorcycle

And there's nothing wrong with us saying that anything you do is just a visual deterrent, and the solution to being worried is to worry less

If you don't like the answer, that's on you, not us. Ask a different question if you want a different answer.

Nothing will stop a determined thief, and battery powered angle grinders have lowered the bar on that definition sharply. I used to shlep around a 16mm chain to secure my BMW to a railing. Now I just throw a shackle lock onto the disc or a lever lock on the grip, and forget about it.

None of my bikes have been stolen in Glasgow city centre, yet, because nobody is stealing bikes from Glasgow city centre, yet. When they start, then nothing I do will stop them except to ensure that I have the worst looking bike in the bay.

That's not how it should be, but it be.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
Can't believe some of the negativity and abuse this lads getting just because he wants to make his bike extra safe.

I am also new to riding, passed my CBT just before christmas and currently have a YBR 125. Just going to argos or the bank for 5 mins I'm thinking about my baby outside and if she's ok, and yes i called it my baby because I have wanted to be a biker for so long and can now only just afford it, and if it gets nicked, I'd be heartbroken. There's nothing wrong with asking experienced riders about security of your motorcycle, we look to more experienced people for a lot of advice as we are new to this and the lad gets a shit load of negetivity? No need man!

I don't think people are giving OP abuse just for asking about security- indeed if anything CBF can be so security conscious that I wonder if some members are in the pocket of chain companies; with some threads saying stuff like "Get a 20mm Abus chain or your bike will be gone like a fart in the wind!!1"

From what little I've read of this thread, the OP's issue is a phycological one as much of a practical one; It's one thing to worry about your bike, it's quite another thing to be so concerned about security that it takes any joy out of riding.

As others here have said, biking as with many other forms of transport carries risks. Some of these risks you've just got to accept. I could have a serious biking accident tomorrow, but that doesn't stop me from biking as I know that if I buy a car and then get into a car accident then I'll be in hospital thinking- "aarh I could've enjoyed life on a motorbike but I didn't...."

Rogerborg wrote:
Indeed, the world isn't black and white, it's on a spectrum. Like OP.

*clutches figure of Guy Martin, smelling of incense and candle wax* Please forgive us Guy, do not listen to the neurotypical, he knows not what he says..

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:07 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in buttfuck nowhere from the looks of your OP. So as long as you've got somewhere safe to put it at night, just leave it as it is and possibly but a disc lock, most thieves in that sort of area will be complete opportunists.

If you're in a city centre of a shite city then move to the many decent ones if you can't do that try putting a chain on and tying it to something might set your mind at ease, but it's essentially a chocolate fireplace. With moped scum using angle grinders to cut into chains, it's much more use as reassurance than deterrent. Park your bike next to nicer bikes or less well secured bikes, thieves will go for the best profit v effort reward.

As Teflon Mike has said in his usual long-winded and over verbose manner, you're far more likely to ruin your bike than have it twokked. I've had my scooter a mere few months and have already dropped it twice (once on the road and once in the garage); any visions you have of your bike being valuable are based on the fallacy of it's worth what you paid for it. After you've dented it all over the place and inevitably come off it's worth a fraction of that.

Regards concern about breaking down, again you probably will at some point but making sure you keep on top of regular maintenance will much reduce the risk, the last thing you want is to be waiting hours for the AA/RAC because you've broken down in buttfuck nowhere in the middle of the night given how much anxiety you seem to have, that'd no doubt be hell for you, worrying the next car to come past is a murderer/rapist/bike thieve.

The bottom lining is biking and even scootering (from a fellow scooter rider here) is not a great hobby or means of transport for those who are constant worriers. There's just so much to worry about. I don't know if you drive but take all the worry associated with that and times it by ten as there's no protective bubble.

- Can I take this bend at this speed am I going to fast, will I come off?
- Am I going to get rear-ended sat in this traffic jam?
- Can I get through that gap?
- Am I going to get shunted for merely trying to filter?
- Is this driver a lunatic behind me?
- Heck, the weather's turning to dense fog and I'm stuck on a dual carriageway am I visible enough?
- Why is that car trying to filter behind me? Is she drunk?
- Does that fucker not understand how right of way works on roundabouts?

Every time you go out and ride you will be confronted with things to be concerned about, things to be anxious about, things you could easily shit your pants about if you needed to, but as the sheer joy of riding a motorcycle far outweighs these niggles then that's worth it. To be frank you sound like the joys aren't outweighing it for you, which is something you need to fix by getting out more and more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3