Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle vs Scooter around London with a suit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:15 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the MP3 is the one, apparently you don't need a helmet and you can park in the mc bays? (I need to verify this).

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:25 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Is that right? Just because it has a roof then?

No, that's not right. It's a motorcycle for all intents and purposes, including wearing a helmet.

ULEZ is supposed to be Euro3 bikes onwards, but there's been all sorts of weird results when folk have checked. Try:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

Subject to change, etc.

Yes but the rules around parking it in the london bays are if I recall correctly different.

Just like parking a motorcycle with a side car is.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfectly simple:

Three wheels is always a trike unless its a bike, and if it's a trike it is liable to congestion charge but doesn't require a helmet unless it's not liable to congestion charge and doesn't require a helmet unless it's not liable to congestion charge but does require a helmet like all bikes do except for the ones that are bikes but are liable for congestion charge but don't require a helmet for a passenger if they're beside the rider but not behind them.

How is that not clear? Eh?

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:51 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's perfectly simple:

Three wheels is always a trike unless its a bike, and if it's a trike it is liable to congestion charge but doesn't require a helmet unless it's not liable to congestion charge and doesn't require a helmet unless it's not liable to congestion charge but does require a helmet like all bikes do except for the ones that are bikes but are liable for congestion charge but don't require a helmet for a passenger if they're beside the rider but not behind them.

How is that not clear? Eh?

Except for that is wrong, three wheels is only a trike if it's too wide, otherwise it's categorised as a motorcycle and requires a motorcycle licence not a regular car licence and is not charged congestion.

If it's too wide and is categorised as a B1 vehicle it doesn't require helmet BUT there is a grey area with bikes such as the various Piaggio MP3 LT's which means you should theoretically get congestion charge but you can park in a motorcycle bay with ease.

See discussions around the Yourban 300 LT in London if in doubt.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So there Roger Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:18 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:
Except for that is wrong

Oh, thank you allah, the most bountiful. Praying

pfenig wrote:
three wheels is only a trike if it's too wide, otherwise it's categorised as a motorcycle

Rogerborg wrote:
Three wheels is always a trike unless its a bike

pfenig wrote:
If it's too wide and is categorised as a B1 vehicle it doesn't require helmet BUT there is a grey area with bikes such as the various Piaggio MP3 LT's which means you should theoretically get congestion charge

Rogerborg wrote:
if it's a trike it is liable to congestion charge but doesn't require a helmet

unless it's not liable to congestion charge and doesn't require a helmet

Yes, thanks, I'm aware that there are trikes-which-are-trikes (and even quads-which-are-trikes), none of which require a helmet, but some of which are over 1m wide or 2m long and get bummed for congestion.

Now, which bit was wrong? Drooling

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:40 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rofl, did you edit your post?

I'm sure you didn't write that, anyway yea what you said originally.. Very Happy

My point was there are trikes (or three wheel motorcycles) that are categorised as motorcycles, and sometimes distinguishing them is tough, point in case the MP3 LT's!

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:13 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and address the op's point.

Assuming oyster card is not viable, as you can't afford taxis I can share my poor man technique.

Any bike you like, massively oversized overtrousers/coat,

Whatever bike you like, as long as it's got a pillion handle.

When you get to the airport use accessory lock to secure helmet o the back seat.

Take out bag for life from backpack, put bike gear in it and lock to wheel in a way that makes it obvious if someone tries to have it away. I use Heathrow and Gatwick regularly, in my experience airports are relatively well policed, much patrolling, many cameras, the bike parks usually covered (Gatwick you leave the bike in the uber premium bit next to the jaaaaaags) and tend to be a bit out of the way for the casual thief to risk a journey to, especially with the security. Reduce risk further with cheapo aldi gear that won't have the sex appeal, which will do you fine for city riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taffy! Thank you, thank you, this is it!

(Oyster not valid and yes I hate overpriced TFL).

As for this bit:

Quote:
Any bike you like

What about the Caliph's new congestion policy for older motorcycles, is it really coming into effect? (It changes everything for me) That and would you risk a Kawa W650 in London? This is the bike I want, instead of a GPZ 500!

What is a bag for life? Is this some brand name? I will be flying from Luton and Standsted also, have you had any experiences with these? Finally can you recommend an accessory lock for the helmet!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's happening

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:55 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:
Taffy! Thank you, thank you, this is it!

(Oyster not valid and yes I hate overpriced TFL).

As for this bit:

Quote:
Any bike you like

What about the Caliph's new congestion policy for older motorcycles, is it really coming into effect? (It changes everything for me) That and would you risk a Kawa W650 in London? This is the bike I want, instead of a GPZ 500!

What is a bag for life? Is this some brand name? I will be flying from Luton and Standsted also, have you had any experiences with these? Finally can you recommend an accessory lock for the helmet!

Personally if you need the reliability of knowing you can walk out of the door and get to the airport, instead of looking at an empty space and a crime number, id go for the oldest rego that's lez compliant and nothing remotely blingy.

Lots of accessory locks around on amazon etc, Oxford do one, I leave mine coiled and locked to the back grab handle. Feed it through the bottom of helmet and loop back out through visor.

If airport due to the security it only needs to dissuade bored kid/commuter who forgot his lid, or anyone serious enough to trek out to the airport to nick a 100 quid lid will come prepared for the job anyway .

Bag for life available in sainsburies, Tesco and aldi for about a quid. Aldi are my favourite there's a few with cute pictures.

For extra luxury the laundry bags from the pound shop that Chinese people used to sell dvds in have a zip top. Again another thin cable lock through the wheel, bag on the floor with stuff inside, folds into pocket when done.

Don't do Luton or Stansted so check with them, but if bike parking is sheltered laundry bag will do you fine.

Only drama us if you've ridden in the wet and gear is damp. I have just draped my "going to airport" jacket over the handlebars in the past and fucked off to Australia for 2 weeks, was still there when I got back. Just have a set of gear good enough to withstand a minor off, but shite enough only a real crack head would want to nick it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:46 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taffy, again thank you.

Sorry if the questions are basic.

What if you are using a 3/4 helmet? Anyway to secure that to a bike? Through the D-lock strap?

With the bag for life/extra luxury idea, I get that I shove all the clothes into it and then use a cable lock to wrap it tight to the front wheel? Surely it'd be easy for someone to pry it out by hand if they wanted?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You are relying on the location being one where people aren't likely to do that, or that your gear is so cheap that you don't care if lose the odd bit.
For the helmet, locking through the D-ring prevents somebody walking off with it, but doesn't stop somebody cutting the strap (rendering the helmet useless for safety use, but OK to shove on your head and make the police think you are legit).

You could always add one of the mesh nets used by travellers to stop their rucksacks being cut open, but ultimately as you don't want to pay for left luggage and don't want to put secure-ish hard luggage on your bike, you are going to end up with something where your kit is visible and relatively easy to nick. So do you want security or not?

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:05 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Yes. You are relying on the location being one where people aren't likely to do that, or that your gear is so cheap that you don't care if lose the odd bit.
For the helmet, locking through the D-ring prevents somebody walking off with it, but doesn't stop somebody cutting the strap (rendering the helmet useless for safety use, but OK to shove on your head and make the police think you are legit).

You could always add one of the mesh nets used by travellers to stop their rucksacks being cut open, but ultimately as you don't want to pay for left luggage and don't want to put secure-ish hard luggage on your bike, you are going to end up with something where your kit is visible and relatively easy to nick. So do you want security or not?

I want taffys model, with as much security as possible.

How about just shoving all the clothing under a cargo net on the rear seat? Probably less secure but at least it will dry! Maybe incorporating a lock in there somewhere!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like this to go over the bag for life/holdall/rucksack to lock it to your bike, should make it a bit more secure

It's not going to stop Pikey McBaklaff with his bolt croppers, but should at least deter the opportunist with a slashy slashy knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIOIi8YziA

https://www.pacsafe.com/

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:34 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith! Yes amazing! Thank you!!

josh95
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:09 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

honda s-wing Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2