Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alternatives to a backpack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:19 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Alternatives to a backpack Reply with quote

This is rather a basic question.

I usually ride around on a motorcycle with my backpack (an ex-mod 30 litre), which can get tiring.

I wanted to instead start using a holdall (a leather or wax cotton waterproof one) that I can take onboard flights also.

My concern is I always carry my laptop in my backpack and often with a pair of shoes, this is ok in my back pack as there are two attached side pockets separating the two shoes from the laptop.

However I'm concerned about putting them all in a holdall in case I destroy the laptop, especially if I then have to somehow strap that to my bike. I actually destroyed an iPad in a similar manner hence my paranoia!

Does anyone have any decent solutions for the above?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you fall off with shoes and a laptop on your back? Cripple.

Get a top box, put backpack in top box.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Could die, should I put myself in the top box too?

OP, I wear a normal backpack, not died yet. Its a fucking retarded assumption that because bag has items, you'll be a cripple, it can happen but lets face it, just don't fucking come off. If you do and its not your fault, dollar dollar will fix that back. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
kramdra wrote:

Could die, should I put myself in the top box too?

OP, I wear a normal backpack, not died yet. Its a fucking retarded assumption that because bag has items, you'll be a cripple, it can happen but lets face it, just don't fucking come off. If you do and its not your fault, dollar dollar will fix that back. Laughing

What if they is Golf shoes and fully loaded laptop.... Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:31 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at lomo gear. Their bike bags are very robust and totally waterproof.

They do conventional drybags, backpack ones and holdall type ones. Any would be fine in a hold as far as I could see.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Dry-bags-Accessories.html

I'd suggest putting the laptop in a seperate laptop case in the bag.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:41 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Alternatives to a backpack Reply with quote

I got the base of a tank bank and attached a laptop bag to it (which conveniently clipped straight through with no mods in my case).

Can easily detach and use as a back pack or have stuck to the tank.

Quote:
They are for pussies.

I always used to think that.
Then one got left on one of my bikes, which I was going to take off ASAP.
Turns out they're actually for people that want to carry stuff AND ride bikes.
Of course they won't pass the tart-test Razz.

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:03 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very amusing replies.

Thanks so far for the suggestions (stink and others).

My main reason for switching from a backpack is actually how aweful it looks to wear one when travelling in a suit (see another recent thread of mine!).

..and not my bitch faggotry concerning not wearing a backpack! Very Happy

I'm thinking a holdall can be strapped behind me in the passenger seat somehow!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go with lomo, order some of their bungees at the same time. Proper powerful take-your-eye-out jobs.

If it's something you're taking on and off a lot and you want to fix it to the seat, also look into rok straps.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go topbox route myself. Yes, it's more expensive initially but it's so useful for locking stuff in that you don't want to carry about.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:05 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would go topbox route myself. Yes, it's more expensive initially but it's so useful for locking stuff in that you don't want to carry about.

This - definitely useful being able to leave helmet and gloves in it, especially in summer.

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:33 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lomo gear looks great and fairly cheap.

Only annoyance is the huge Lomo branding on it.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:26 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:

It's OK a bit of black pen and tipex and you can make it say HOMO like you want it to.

Sorry cheap shot

Tigerider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason no one has mentioned a tank bag yet, or are they also deemed 'pussified" by the macho men on here??

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:45 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerider wrote:
Is there a reason no one has mentioned a tank bag yet, or are they also deemed 'pussified" by the macho men on here??

Probably not great on a luggage carousel in an airport.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has one of these for short-haul flights. He doesn’t even have a bike, but I tried it on and the riding fit was very secure. I think they also do a larger version.

https://kriega.com/riderpacks/urban-messenger-bag
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

This - definitely useful being able to leave helmet and gloves in it, especially in summer.

Large/52L box is 30 quid delivered.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you do go with lomo, order some of their bungees at the same time. Proper powerful take-your-eye-out jobs.

If it's something you're taking on and off a lot and you want to fix it to the seat, also look into rok straps.

I've got one of these, waterproof and easily attached to a pillion seat, just make sure you have some decent straps. Not too sure I'd want to put a laptop in it though if you're strapping it down as if over tightened it might put a lot of pressure on it. I used it as carry on luggage to Athens this week, even wore it like a backpack so I didn't need to carry it.

Other option is a Krega tailpack, they come with extra straps it you want to carry it around. Totally waterproof and by far the best luggage I've ever bought for my bikes.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:

Don't be such a tart. At least it's easily recognisable on an airport carousel.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:16 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/279243

I cant reccomend this strongly enough, bought it as a cheap alternative to a topbox because CBA to splash out many £££s on a luggage rack and top box. Super useful, has bungee cords built into it stronger than Hulk Hogan, can quick detach from the bike and be easily carried around as a holdhall bag. Used it in some proper awful downpours and totally waterproof, and 2000 miles around France taking the piss a little bit on the Autopeage at kitten killing speeds and never came loose.

My only complaint is its a little bit on the small side, I thought 40 litres would be quite big, but its more like 30L with 2x5L side pockets. I'd rather they ditched the side pockets and just had one main compartment. Though I suppose if you were inclined you could cut out the lining betweeen the main/pocket compartments, not sure what effect that might have on structural integrity though.

Either way, was plenty enough for most weekend trips away!

Tigerider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Tigerider wrote:

Probably not great on a luggage carousel in an airport.

https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Backpack-Magnetic/dp/B0772YY8CQ

I rest my (suit)case!!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:37 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerider wrote:

I can't see magnets strong enough to hold it to a tank playing nicely when introduced into an automated baggage handling system consisting of a series of metal chutes fed by a conveyor belt.

It would go in one end and never be seen again.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/279243

I cant reccomend this strongly enough, bought it as a cheap alternative to a topbox because CBA to splash out many £££s on a luggage rack and top box. Super useful, has bungee cords built into it stronger than Hulk Hogan, can quick detach from the bike and be easily carried around as a holdhall bag. Used it in some proper awful downpours and totally waterproof, and 2000 miles around France taking the piss a little bit on the Autopeage at kitten killing speeds and never came loose.

My only complaint is its a little bit on the small side, I thought 40 litres would be quite big, but its more like 30L with 2x5L side pockets. I'd rather they ditched the side pockets and just had one main compartment. Though I suppose if you were inclined you could cut out the lining betweeen the main/pocket compartments, not sure what effect that might have on structural integrity though.

Either way, was plenty enough for most weekend trips away!

ordering this, bit of extra space to go with the top box. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183043129306
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1