Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heads-up display for helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colinl
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:09 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Heads-up display for helmets Reply with quote

I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

https://imgur.com/6viWKm2.png

https://imgur.com/qsYX4Im.png

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

https://i.imgur.com/6H43EUn.png

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

https://imgur.com/f4MToZh.png

https://imgur.com/nbgMqOe.png

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of shatterproof glass, so even in the unlikely event that it breaks, it will hold together, just like a car windshield.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with an incredibly strong adhesive. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

Altogether, it costs $135 to make.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Heads-up display for helmets Reply with quote

colinl wrote:

It looks remarkably like it does a good job of blocking your peripheral vision (LHS - the sender) so I'm ooot....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:23 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Heads-up display for helmets Reply with quote

colinl wrote:
The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with an incredibly strong adhesive. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

We know all about that as trucks are made from tape these days. Thumbs Up

Photos of it with GPS navigation displayed?

Bluetooth controller for the display?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Heads-up display for helmets Reply with quote

HUD's have been around for well over a decade now.
13 years ago, for instance - https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/17184/

Periodically 'concepts' reappear. A few people get excited.
Then they fizzle out.

I'm sure someone will "Apple" it and make them popular at some point.
Alas Apple typically does it by throwing shed loads of money at the marketing and product.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like it, would try maybe. Price would need to come down.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you kickstarted the keep it all kickstarter yet?
Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably work well if paired with a Rainpal.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite neat and clever but I just don't see the need unless you're Patrick Moore on an S1000RR looking to complete the look. I think you'd sell a handful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to something a bit more in keeping with the Enfield.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/003/444/239/a10582d4132db65a19c65719fc5a1896_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1426450375&auto=format&lossless=true&s=f09047eb4863258ee7ad7f23d98fd950
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:24 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on actually making something rather than just coming up with an idea.

This probably isn't the best forum to ask on, as we're (by and large) penny pinching hidebound curmudgeons. S1000RR is an insightful shout, this is a question for marque, bike, or "adventure" riding specific forums.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:04 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been trying to think of a use for it, the only thing I've come up with is a satnav display but even then - a quick glance down at the satnav isn't that bothersome.

Text and social media notifications is a definite no no.

Can't come up with a use case.. Thinking

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Heads-up display for helmets Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Photos of it with GPS navigation displayed?

This would probably be it's most useful function, for myself anyway.

Also, a speed camera detector would be beneficial. Thumbs Up

As Rod said, well done for actually putting it together, rather than just touting an idea. Price would need to come down a bit though.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:08 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks quite good and possibly I wouldn't find it intrusive.

As above, would like to see the GPS display as I do find myself looking down at the satnav display at regular intervals and it's not in my sightline.

My problem is when on the Trophy I hardly ever have my visor down as I ride with glasses on and the wind protection is so good. Could you put it on screen on a touring bike?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've already got a name for it, but for 1% of future royalties you could use my suggestion.

HUDbud.
The road ahead is lucid.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay $82 if it worked well and was guaranteed for 2 years. It's not something I actually need, but it might be one of those things that is good when you get it and then you wonder why you didn't get one before.

Have you tested in in cold and rainy conditions? How does it cope with conditions that normally fog up the inside of a visor (i.e. 1o months of the year in the UK)?

If you can't keep the cost down then it may only appeal to sunny Sunday riders as a gadget. For wider use I think it's only going to help those who have older bikes where the speedo display is poor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always project it onto something outside of the visor.

Years ago a guy called Kev used a dental mirror on his helmet instead of rear mirrors and you could project it onto that instead on the outside.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:33 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see from here that your visor would fail UK light transmission tests.

Primary eye protection must alow a minimum 50% light transmission to comply with UK law.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it could project texts when they came into your phone I bet it would sell like hot cakes. There are people who would pay for that however much it should be a no no.

What is the range of the projector? You have it inside a helmet but wouldn't you make more if you can set it up for a car windscreen as well.

As I said earlier, being a poser I wouldn't mind fitting it on the screen of my Trophy but the screen is electric and alters the position so I presume it wouldn't work on that.

It cost $135 to make, Is that actually dollars or pounds? Whichever, I presume that would amount to £200+ when you add in full retail costs. Not a huge amount but I also presume you would need a compatible bluetooth sat nav to power it?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:06 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find this useful with bluetooth and sat nav but as I wear glasses the focal range may be a problem. Damn good idea though.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a HUD that isn't an integral part of a very expensive helmet but not so keen on the idea of the bits bouncing around my face during a crash.
Oh and thanks for sharing something that actuality exists rather than the usual request for help with your homework.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Primary eye protection must alow a minimum 50% light transmission to comply with UK law.

Yet popo don't seem to care. Wasn't the Skully AR helmet the same sort of idea (but a lot more expensive)?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Dunno, iridium Wub is deceptive. You can see through the visor in pic 1 clear enough.

Truck tape suggests it's not interchangeable.
If you never glance at your dash how are you going to know you've left your indicators on, are low on fuel or have just reached a bitter-sweet mileage landmark?
Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2