Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Radiator Fan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I'll say it again as you appear to have ignored it...

There is no question that oil will pick up contaminates and no question that leaving them in contact with the engine internals for twice as long, will cause twice the wear.

Fill your boots, but for the sake of a £6 oil filter and £2 worth of oil every 1,000 miles, instead of £1 worth, I'll go for the short term service plan personally.

You no read either?

The oil has a chemical package to absorb/buffer harmful chemicals (i.e. byproducts of combustion).
The oil will remain chemically 'inert' over it's 'recommended' life time.

Anything 'damaging' in the oil (mechanical/solids) will be stopped by the closeness of weave in the matrix of oil filter.

The manufacturer (using factors) determines the maximum particle size of debris etc. that is permitted to float around in the oil without causing harm.

This is not new science.

It is not the cost it is the redundant task.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
MCN wrote:

Anything 'damaging' in the oil (mechanical/solids) will be stopped by the closeness of weave in the matrix of oil filter.

Oh really? The metal fairies must put the glittery metal particles in waste oil then.
Ever changed the oil on a car?

Are you having a laph?

Very Happy

I change oil as part of my existence.

If I see metal particles in the oil I drain I am not considering the cost of oil and filters as an issue.

There should not be any metal particles in the oil apart from microscopic particles.

ANd as I have mentioned, manufacturers decide those small particles are insignificant as an engine wear factor.

Oil is not changed to remove the small particles it is changed to replenish the chemical package and mechanical properties of the oil.

I said awaaaaaay up there that we do not change engine oils in our big engines for hours and hours over the OEM recommended intervals because we replenish the additives and if the oil is still in-grade with run until the next sample date.

It saves us US$100000s every month. Reduces downtime and allows us to be more efficient in other areas. Not schpiel it took a while for our maintenance folk to get over their original ideas and 'industry practice' but it is much better to not have to change oil when it is not required to do so.

Decreased servicing is good. So long as there is no detriment to the equipment. It is not an easy thing to do as it requires experience and some know-how and the proper materials.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You're trying to justify your own long interval services. Fine, but let's not try to pretend an engine wont last longer on the shorter service interval with more regular oil changes eh?

I don't have to justify anything.

I didn't make that shit up.

You change your oil when you feel like it is due. Cool.

I am only saying it is a redundant service.

Let it run to the recommended interval and do it then.

I bet the manufacturers have vastly more experience of this shit than you personally do.

But then you are free to do as you wish. Thumbs Up
MCN This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2