Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Setting up standalone VU Meters?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Setting up standalone VU Meters? Reply with quote

I want to add a couple of standalone vu meters on my desk, so i've been looking at ebay stuff and found this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-500-A-vu-meter-vu-meter-indicatori-A-D-needle-driver-board-AC12V-drive-P0K5/282725540160?epid=2085724964&hash=item41d3c16140:g:XwAAAOSwbwJaApif

Can anyone who knows about this sort of thing let me if that's all i need to be able to put the meters on my desk and just connect them to the stereo......or do i need something else/more?

Cheers!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be gobsmacked if anyone on here could decipher that A.D needle driver board that comes with the meters.

It looks a tricky process.
https://sound.whsites.net/project128.htm

Best of British luck. Thumbs Up

or

thought about the presonus bluetube (it's a preamp but what they hey...it looks cool eh(get the stereo one)) or the excellent ultracurve which does use LCD VU meters but does have a decent frequency analyser and EQ should you wish to meddle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:07 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board is easy - 2 terminals for 12VAC input, then there are separate outputs for whether you're using LED or mechanical VU meters, so you'd only use 4 of the 8 outputs - these are labelled. Finally there are 3 input terminals for L, R, and GND.

The only worry here is whether or not the board has buffers on it to stop the meters loading the output stage of whatever you want to meter (causes distortion and lowers sound quality). I can't quite see from the pictures but I'd be really surprised if it doesn't. Nice find - quite a bargain!

Other things that you could keep an eye out for if you want something that looks retro and cool are old Vectorscopes with an Audio mode (e.g. Tektronix 601), or a set of ex-Beeb PPM meters. However both will be more expensive than the item you linked (£30-50ish).

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

It looks a tricky process.
https://sound.whsites.net/project128.htm

Best of British luck. Thumbs Up

Crivens. Think i'll need more than luck to understand that lot Shocked

Quote:
thought about the presonus bluetube (it's a preamp but what they hey...it looks cool eh(get the stereo one)) or the excellent ultracurve which does use LCD VU meters but does have a decent frequency analyser and EQ should you wish to meddle.

Thing is, it's more the roundness and standaloneness of the meters that i'm looking for, more than the actual functionality (or any functions other than it just showing the levels) to fit in with the design of the desk.

For instance, i wanted a temp gauge so i found a cheap one online and then made the frame and mount so that it fitted the style...
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/tempgauge.jpg
Which is why i want these actual meters, to do the same thing, and some way of making them work.

Cheers for the suggestions anyway, HT Thumbs Up

ferrisio wrote:
The board is easy - 2 terminals for 12VAC input, then there are separate outputs for whether you're using LED or mechanical VU meters, so you'd only use 4 of the 8 outputs - these are labelled. Finally there are 3 input terminals for L, R, and GND.

So...it should be fairly straightforward wiring them in to the system then..... or..?

Quote:
The only worry here is whether or not the board has buffers on it to stop the meters loading the output stage of whatever you want to meter (causes distortion and lowers sound quality). I can't quite see from the pictures but I'd be really surprised if it doesn't. Nice find - quite a bargain!

Is it? That's good! I've no idea on how much these things cost normally tbh. Might be worth ordering and hope it has buffers!

Quote:
Other things that you could keep an eye out for if you want something that looks retro and cool are old Vectorscopes with an Audio mode (e.g. Tektronix 601), or a set of ex-Beeb PPM meters. However both will be more expensive than the item you linked (£30-50ish).

As i explained to Mr Terror, i really need just the basic meters so i can make a frame and mount for them, but i'll keep in mind the info on the vectorscopes just in case i need anything like that in future Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, i think i'll risk getting them then, and see how it goes. I'll let you know Thumbs Up Smile

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:09 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
So...it should be fairly straightforward wiring them in to the system then..... or..?

Yep your audio output goes into the L/R/GND connector, if you have two ground wires twist them together and put them both into the GND connector.

The power adaptor (either 9VAC or 12VAC - saw it labelled differently on the pics, worth checking what it actually says on the boards you receive) connects to the 2 power connections. It's AC so it doesn't matter which way round.

Finally connect 2 wires from the left VU output to one meter, and 2 from the right to the other one. It's probably worth keeping these ones fairly short - 5-10cm max.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! At least for one meter so far. Just got make the mount, rewire and add the other meter and job will be jobbed.

https://youtu.be/JGiqkR91QE8

Cheers guys! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1