BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone doing much Home Automation?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts getting more useful with sequencing / routines, for instance when I say Alexa good night, she turns off all the lights in the living room the tv, the aquarium lights, christmas tree etc and then turns on the tv in the bedroom and the bedside lamps to a dim setting. You can also program cinema sequence to set lights to a specific brightness or configuration you prefer and set the tv to a specific input/app.

When I say Alexa wake up in the morning she turns the tv on the lights on reads me the weather and traffic. Another useful thing is the motion sensors, our lights in the passage and bathroom are controlled automatically, after midnight they come on very dim like a night light and shut off after a few minutes, in the evening they come on full and stay on for about 15 minutes then shut off. They’re also programmed to shut off automatically once everyone leaves the house.

They’re definitely a non essential item, however I wouldn’t call it gimmicky, it certainly does make life slightly easier. The good night command for example has at least 6 actions that I would have to go around the room turning off manually, plus another 4 in the room, which can all be accomplished by saying two words.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I like a bit of home control & automation.
The Sonoff stuff looks interesting though, I might get one to have a play.
I use switch caps to stop people manually turning the power off to smart lights, apparently there's a Fibaro unit that can be used with a momentary switch that doesn't require neutral, but it requires a fairly deep back box, so I've just stuck to standard switches.

I mainly use SmartThings - I use WebCore (https://wiki.webcore.co/) for the actual automation part (e.g. in my hallway, I have a double-door cupboard where the chest freezer/washing machine/tumble dryer/homeserver/UPS/internet router/network switch all live - inside the cupboard is a motion/temperature sensor - when the temp goes above 21 degrees it turns on the extractor fan (to keep the IT equipment from overheating), when it detects motion (i.e. someone is in there) it sets two of the GU10 lights (that are above the doors) to 100% brightness. After a minute of no-motion, they dim back down to match the rest of the bulbs (they idle at 20% brightness after sunset and before midnight, go up to 80% when the front door opens or motion is detected) (Bulbs are Ikea Tradfri, link to SmartThings nicely) - I use a Fibaro motion sensor as it has motion/heat/lux.

I also have an Aeotec sensor inside the inner door, so when my wife leaves both doors open [and the outside temp is below 15 degrees], it moans at her to close one Cool
I have a motion sensor at the bottom of the stairs, if it detects motion between 0630 & 0700, it'll set my Samsung M5 speaker (in the kitchen) to read the day's weather forecast (once!)
If my lounge senses movement and the lux is below a certain level, it'll put my uplighter on (again, using a Tradfri bulb)
I have my electric blanket connected, so about 15 mins before we go to bed I say "Ok Google, turn on the bed" - so the bed gets nice and toasty.
My front door uses a Yale KeyFree lock, with a Z-Wave module to connect to SmartThings, I have Zwave fobs that are programmed to unlock it, as well as widgets on our phones (to unlock door) - I can also see who's at the door by CCTV and let people in without getting off the sofa. (I've also remotely buzzed my dad in on a couple of occasions whilst I've been out and about, no dropping keys off or leaving under flower pots)
I have presence sensors on both bikes and both cars (get an alert if they leave at an unexpected moment)
I have a driveway sensor that sets off a sound in my bedroom and on my phone, if someone breaks the beam when the house is armed then I get notified.
Aquarium is connected, so air pumps/lights go on/off as needed
Stair lights are connected,
Harmony is connected ("Ok Google, turn on Plex" - fires off the Harmony activity to do as such)
I have moisture sensors under the hot water tank - cold water tank and behind washing machine, so I get alerted if something springs a leak, along with usual door/window sensors
I have a Nest thermostat, which is connected to SmartThings (via NST Manager),along with Nest Protects.
...and various other things (including Xmas lights!)

I also use https://www.actiontiles.com on a couple of tablets, they make nice dashboards/control boards, along with some Alexa devices and a couple of Google Homes.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a Tado Smart Thermostat with the extension kit as I have a wireless thermostat at the moment.

I've gone through the instructions.

Am I right in thinking the Tado thermostat doesn't need mains power as it has in-built batteries? The current 'stat has no mains feed so it would be difficult to provide power...

Has anyone set up Tado before? Are you happy with it?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:46 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
I'm looking at getting a Tado Smart Thermostat with the extension kit as I have a wireless thermostat at the moment.

I've gone through the instructions.

Am I right in thinking the Tado thermostat doesn't need mains power as it has in-built batteries? The current 'stat has no mains feed so it would be difficult to provide power...

Has anyone set up Tado before? Are you happy with it?

Yes, yes and yes Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:55 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/feUuDoe.jpg

I have done my living room spotlights. A firmware update for the Sonoff has allowed the default position to be chosen.

Simply run a cable from the Neutral to the input neutral then run the switched live though the Sonoff.

Total cost to do my 2 banks of 14 lights. £12.50. Phillips Hue cost to do the same £370😂.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit of this afternoon playing with software for my pc to output audio simultaneously to multiple Bluetooth audio devices across the flat, in addition to my TV sound bar. Worked a treat. Very happy.

As a result I was looking at sonos stuff and stumbled upon this thread. Some of the latter posts with lots of movement sensors and multiple connected thingies has got me interested.

Where do I start? Is the first step to get an echo type device?

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:21 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I spent a bit of this afternoon playing with software for my pc to output audio simultaneously to multiple Bluetooth audio devices across the flat, in addition to my TV sound bar. Worked a treat. Very happy.

As a result I was looking at sonos stuff and stumbled upon this thread. Some of the latter posts with lots of movement sensors and multiple connected thingies has got me interested.

Where do I start? Is the first step to get an echo type device?

If you are going to get one get one now they are on Sale at the moment.

They only normally do this 2-3 times a year.

Buy a load of Sonoff switches and start playing.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make much difference Google vs Amazon?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years and years ago women washed the laundry in the river/loch (lake) it was normal. Then some idiot up and invented a washing machine. (Men can now wash laundry.)
The neigh sayers neighed at the concept but soon no household would be considered normal without a washing machine.
Dishes were all washed in the sink/basin/river/loch (lake) then another bird brain Decided to make a machine to wash dishes.
Who the fcuk needs a dishwasher? It's not a difficult thing to wash dishes is it?
Now some fool is trying to get us to make our homes Smart.

Whatever next?
Electric roadsters in an asteroid belt?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who buys into this stuff is essentially identifying themselves as the first to die whe TSHTFan.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Anyone who buys into this stuff is essentially identifying themselves as the first to die whe TSHTFan.

do you still wipe your arse with a stick?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

do you still wipe your arse with a stick?

Have you not heard of the iStick? Its great and if it breaks down you can take it to the Apple Store and a teenager will wipe it clean for you.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

How do you wor KTHTOut?

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:24 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Yup, I like a bit of home control & automation.
The Sonoff stuff looks interesting though, I might get one to have a play.
I use switch caps to stop people manually turning the power off to smart lights, apparently there's a Fibaro unit that can be used with a momentary switch that doesn't require neutral, but it requires a fairly deep back box, so I've just stuck to standard switches.

I mainly use SmartThings - I use WebCore (https://wiki.webcore.co/) for the actual automation part (e.g. in my hallway, I have a double-door cupboard where the chest freezer/washing machine/tumble dryer/homeserver/UPS/internet router/network switch all live - inside the cupboard is a motion/temperature sensor - when the temp goes above 21 degrees it turns on the extractor fan (to keep the IT equipment from overheating), when it detects motion (i.e. someone is in there) it sets two of the GU10 lights (that are above the doors) to 100% brightness. After a minute of no-motion, they dim back down to match the rest of the bulbs (they idle at 20% brightness after sunset and before midnight, go up to 80% when the front door opens or motion is detected) (Bulbs are Ikea Tradfri, link to SmartThings nicely) - I use a Fibaro motion sensor as it has motion/heat/lux.

I also have an Aeotec sensor inside the inner door, so when my wife leaves both doors open [and the outside temp is below 15 degrees], it moans at her to close one Cool
I have a motion sensor at the bottom of the stairs, if it detects motion between 0630 & 0700, it'll set my Samsung M5 speaker (in the kitchen) to read the day's weather forecast (once!)
If my lounge senses movement and the lux is below a certain level, it'll put my uplighter on (again, using a Tradfri bulb)
I have my electric blanket connected, so about 15 mins before we go to bed I say "Ok Google, turn on the bed" - so the bed gets nice and toasty.
My front door uses a Yale KeyFree lock, with a Z-Wave module to connect to SmartThings, I have Zwave fobs that are programmed to unlock it, as well as widgets on our phones (to unlock door) - I can also see who's at the door by CCTV and let people in without getting off the sofa. (I've also remotely buzzed my dad in on a couple of occasions whilst I've been out and about, no dropping keys off or leaving under flower pots)
I have presence sensors on both bikes and both cars (get an alert if they leave at an unexpected moment)
I have a driveway sensor that sets off a sound in my bedroom and on my phone, if someone breaks the beam when the house is armed then I get notified.
Aquarium is connected, so air pumps/lights go on/off as needed
Stair lights are connected,
Harmony is connected ("Ok Google, turn on Plex" - fires off the Harmony activity to do as such)
I have moisture sensors under the hot water tank - cold water tank and behind washing machine, so I get alerted if something springs a leak, along with usual door/window sensors
I have a Nest thermostat, which is connected to SmartThings (via NST Manager),along with Nest Protects.
...and various other things (including Xmas lights!)

I also use https://www.actiontiles.com on a couple of tablets, they make nice dashboards/control boards, along with some Alexa devices and a couple of Google Homes.

I would love to see a walk through video of this, all the different bits you mentioned above, your house sounds like the future.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

How do you wor KTHTOut?

Headline News.........

Man found dead after fridge malfunctions and fails to order food!

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they haven't come up with away to get the food from the shop into the fridge or from the fridge into your mouth.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Siri; Please polish my helmet whilst playing the latest podcast'

You'll have to unlock your iphone first.

Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
I'm pretty sure they haven't come up with away to get the food from the shop into the fridge or from the fridge into your mouth.

You will never get on Dragons Den with that attitude.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't know, my invention for stopping motorcycles parking out side of shops should do well.

I've already got an order from J&S in Aberdeen.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Oh I don't know, my invention for stopping motorcycles parking out side of shops should do well.

I've already got an order from J&S in Aberdeen.

Now there's a challenge. Laughing

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:45 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda in 2 minds with this subject.

Whilst it would be cool to have voice controlled lighting and "smart houses" in some situations (like making your toast when you wake up/brewing up etc or dimming the lights when watching a film), i cant help but thinking its a bit sad and/or gimmicky.

A lad I used to work with in concept design had a fully automated house.Like he had a hot tub which he would set to warm up before he got home, automatic windows /blinds, etc. you name it he automated it. He was also a lonely guy. i dont know if its a case of everyone is like that but i dont know.

We live in a society where milennials and even adults (im 29) are constantly glued to their phone and technology its quite depressing. I walked past the smoking shelter at work the other morning (i dont even smoke) and everyone was stood their silently on their phones. I thought smoking was a social thing... even that is getting usurped by the stare at phone epidemic.

I for one would prefer to go back to when phones and techonolgy were just additions to make life a bit easier (phone calls/dishwasher) and not so fully integrated into our lives we ignore reality.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
I'm kinda in 2 minds with this subject.

Whilst it would be cool to have voice controlled lighting and "smart houses" in some situations (like making your toast when you wake up/brewing up etc or dimming the lights when watching a film), i cant help but thinking its a bit sad and/or gimmicky.

A lad I used to work with in concept design had a fully automated house.Like he had a hot tub which he would set to warm up before he got home, automatic windows /blinds, etc. you name it he automated it. He was also a lonely guy. i dont know if its a case of everyone is like that but i dont know.

We live in a society where milennials and even adults (im 29) are constantly glued to their phone and technology its quite depressing. I walked past the smoking shelter at work the other morning (i dont even smoke) and everyone was stood their silently on their phones. I thought smoking was a social thing... even that is getting usurped by the stare at phone epidemic.

I for one would prefer to go back to when phones and techonolgy were just additions to make life a bit easier (phone calls/dishwasher) and not so fully integrated into our lives we ignore reality.

I get what you're saying, but if anything I look at my phone less now, because I don't have to grab it every time I want to know or look something up, I just ask.

Calendar appointments, reminders, birthdays, weather (later/tomorrow), time, news, traffic, ordering stuff, wiki and more, all without touching or looking at my phone.

Been living with the missus for 12 years now (so I'm not a sad lonely git, just a git) and she was sceptical about it all too, but now she loves it, except when she talks to it and it doesn't understand her and they end up having a one way shouting match.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
[

Been living with the missus for 12 years now (so I'm not a sad lonely git, just a git) and she was sceptical about it all too, but now she loves it, except when she talks to it and it doesn't understand her and they end up having a one way shouting match.

Wait a minute, you have a wife? Surely that's your home automation sorted right there? Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Poor people?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

We live in a society where milennials and even adults (im 29) are constantly glued to their phone and technology its quite depressing.

You do know milleninials are people who were 18-21 in 2000 thus are now mid 30s now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3