Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Planning my first longer road ride.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Planning my first longer road ride. Reply with quote

I'm sitting here, thinking what to aim to do next, as I often do. I reckon I could cycle to my dads house, he lives near Gosport, and I live in Bedford.

I'd like to leave my bicycle there, and get a lift back, so would be nice to do this when I get a new bicycle and take my old one down there.

So if I break down and can't fix it, is breakdown cover any good, worth having?

I've never really cycled more than 40 miles, but didn't find it particularly difficult.

Actually, I thought it was going to be 150+ miles, following the same b roads I take little motorcycles on, but looking at google maps, and clicking the cycle button, it's 125 miles, and must be doable with a bit of training. Little more than doing London to Brighton and back again, and I've seen plenty of event finishers cycle home again from Brighton...

Any advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:04 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakdown cover? Aren't you meant to find the nearest bike shop for parts or failing that get yourself to the nearest train station? Razz

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Breakdown cover? Aren't you meant to find the nearest bike shop for parts or failing that get yourself to the nearest train station? Razz

yeah I guess, just wondered if it actually does what it says and is reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really need is a mobile phone, some shoes you can walk in and a lock. If you can't fix a problem with the tools you have with you then you can call for help, or call a taxi (possibly abandoning the locked up bike to pick up later) and get to a train station.

If you carry basic tools (and know how to use them), a pump and spare tubes/patches you are unlikely to get an issue you can't bodge on the road. I also carry quick-links for the chain, some cable ties, spare cables and some tape.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a ride like that I would carry a couple of inner tubes, a pump, some tyre levers and a multi-tool that I knew did the important bolts and screws. I always carry most of this anyway, in a bottle cage tool kit (only room for 1 tube but the rest goes in there). I would also carry water and some food I can eat on the go... fig rolls, jelly babies. But these are things you can stop for (worth checking out if there are any cafes along the way you might aim for as a mid-ride break) so just make sure the bike is in good order and go.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really not much planning needed. I cycled to Norway without planning more than a day ahead. The only spares we carried were inner tubes and some basic tools. There's not many places in western Europe where you're that far out from accessible help outside of the mountains. Even then...

125 miles in a day is potentially doable but only with the right bike. Even at the tail end of my Norway trip when inwas in awesome condition forn it more than 80 miles was hard going on the hardtail mtb i used. My mates hybrid with larger wheels made it much easier. Clipless pedals and proper shoes make distance riding much easier. Unti I switched to those long days were giving me knee issues.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
But these are things you can stop for (worth checking out if there are any cafes along the way you might aim for as a mid-ride break)

Very much this. The best part about doing long distance riding is being able to eat several big meals a day without putting on weight. And it makes it mentally easier to think "I'm doing 25 miles until my next stop" than "I've got 100 miles left to ride".

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:52 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan to do it when it's not a) Pissing it down and b) Blowing a gale in your face.

Eat BEFORE you feel hungry.

Spare tube, tyre levers, pump. Multitool. If you're being really paranoid, take a multitool that has a chain rivetter then if you get a gear failure, you can shorten back the chain and single-speed it.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:23 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of bike is this?

I think that would make a huge difference to the experience/success.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:37 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spare derailleur hanger can be very useful. The chances of you needing it are pretty slim but they weigh next to nothing and if you need one then you really need one.

I love my camelbak and would totally recommend them.

As far as is breakdown cover any good, don't they just take you to the nearest bike shop / home / pay for a taxi / something like that?

I wouldn't bother with the breakdown cover. Laughing

What Stinky says about rain and gales is a good point

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a derailleur hanger and wear a hydration pack for MTB rides, but not on the road bike. You're right, they weigh nothing and can fix a potential disaster, but the chances of wrecking a derailleur on the road are pretty slim (and if you do you can always do the stinkwheel singlespeed mod).

But the earlier question about the bike is a good one - the difference in effort to get a cheap MTB over that distance compared to even a half-decent road bike will be considerable. As will the time taken to do it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can fix flat tyre, derailleurs are a dark art that I do not understand.

When I did long distance hiking, (longest walk 65+miles) I was eating over 5,000kcal a day Laughing , it is great stuffing your face and losing weight

My bicycle is a Marin hybrid that I got second hand for free.

https://s20.postimg.org/rcg216fsd/WP_20171012_09_25_10_Pro.jpg

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:56 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw

Bicycle repair man....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:59 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in the wrong gear. Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:00 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember vertical distance is as important as horizontal when planning.

I did this on my holiday to Faro later last year. "only" 80km but damn! I'm 17.5 stone and I take a lot of hauling up a hill. Way home was faster...

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/screenshot_at_2018-02-14_18-55-53.png

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're in the wrong gear. Razz

that was my ride everywhere in top gear phase, I'm over it now Embarassed

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:32 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longest I have done is 115 miles and could have done more.
Travel light, pace yourself and only take the basics and money/phone.
If you can fix a puncture and join a chain back together that covers about as much as you can do on the road.
Watch weather as a headwind in pissing rain will wipe you out and take care which roads you choose.
If you have done 40 miles then you will do it no problem.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might need to think again, I just did a 38 mile ride, and I'm tired. Also, I go to pieces if I have to pedal uphill against the wind.

Took me around 3hrs, with two short rest breaks.

Quote:
37.66mi
Distance

3:11:29
Moving Time

1,264ft
Elevation
Avg Max
Speed 11.8mi/h 33.6mi/h
Elapsed Time 3:21:34

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, there's a fair bit of elevation gain there. Roughly 10m per km?

Maybe find a route with less hills?

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A downhill circular route is the preferred option. Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a bit more effort in today, wore my Ogio flight vest;
https://www.motolegends.com/accessories/ogio-flight-vest-black.html

like that ^^

filled 2litre camel hump, food, spare warm gloves, tools, wallet etc

So, I didn't get off of the bike once, and never stopped to fiddle with strava app, I ate and drank in the saddle. Pumped my tyres up to just over 60psi which helped.

Quote:
55.95mi
Distance

4:23:43
Moving Time

1,725ft
Elevation
Avg
Speed 12.7mi/h
Max 34.4mi/h
Speed

Elapsed Time 4:24:18

Still not sure if I can do this, but I suppose if I was sure I could do it at this stage, it wouldn't be much of a challenge.

I'm pretty tired, but nothing like when I ran a half marathon. My legs are wobbly, but on a par with climbing some peaks in the lakes, they are not seized up like running a half.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really went for it today, had a days green laning yesterday and set off with wobbly legs.

Quote:
Distance 63.01mi

Moving Time 4:51:05

Elevation 2,267ft
Avg Speed 13.0mi/h
Max Speed 32.2mi/h
Elapsed Time 4:51:31

put a bit more air in the tyres, and tried to get my gears right

I'm still not sure I can do this 150mile in a day, might book a Premier Inn. Confused

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:42 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found going from 20-60 miles is a piece of piss, going from 60-100 is much harder. The most I've managed is 80 and I was dead after.

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:35 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Planning my first longer road ride. Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Actually, I thought it was going to be 150+ miles, following the same b roads I take little motorcycles on, but looking at google maps, and clicking the cycle button, it's 125 miles, and must be doable with a bit of training. Little more than doing London to Brighton and back again, and I've seen plenty of event finishers cycle home again from Brighton...

Any advice?

I'm cycling from Nottingham to Pewsey, Wiltshire on April 4th. I've been 'training' with 50-80 miles rides 2-3 times a week. The last week before I ride will be steady rides that aren't really taxing, just to keep my body prepared for the long haul.

If your route is gonna have lots of hills, try looking at the canals for that area. If I wanted a 'flat' ride all the way down and back, I'd be adding 40 miles onto my trip and following the towpaths.

Remember to eat before you feel hungry, drink before you feel thirsty and keep topping up both regularly.

150 miles in a day is EASILY doable. Do you think your average speed is going to be less than 10mph? 15 hours steady riding. Average speed 15mph? 10 hours riding etc etc Just take breaks when you need them, don't rest for too long though.
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I guess you are right, my biggest problem now is route planning

the 120ish miles that google said.... takes me down the A1 Shocked

I have all the OS maps for the country online, so I suppose I can plot a route, and make some sort of "road book" up for the journey

I'm thinking of riding much of the route on my 250cc and making notes, I have to go that way soon anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2