Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rg125 gamma cutting out under load

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

salem1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:37 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Rg125 gamma cutting out under load Reply with quote

Weird problem.
Bike cuts out when setting off in first, fethering the clutch at all manor of rpms up to red line.
Put the bike on a paddock stand and put it in any gear and its fine, using the clutch or not.

I thought clutch switch or sidestand switch, but no there isnt one and besides it runs fine off the ground.

Engine and bike has just been rebuilt from the ground up and revs out cleanly on the bench.

The cutting out is like a switch being pulled when the clutch is fully disengaged, no bogging or stumbling.

Any ideas?!

Edit: i've ridden many different 2 strokes in various forms so know they differ to 4 strokes with regards to keeping the rpm up! Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it cut out in 2nd>?
Is it sudden like an electrical short, maybe a wire rubbing on the frame when your sat on it, or similar?

Is the fuel flow ok from the tank to the carb, and is the tank breather clear?

If not I'd maybe try another CDI if you can just to prove it's OK?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it got an air filter fitted and have you tried blocking some of the air intake as in old fashioned choke.

salem1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:42 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

it cuts out in any gear yes.
Its very odd, it has the classic symptom of a failed clutch switch but there is not one present. Cuts out at the same exact point (about 3/4 release of clutch) when sat on the bike or if the rear wheel is on the floor and i try walk with it. It does start to move as the clutch bites. But its also completely fine with the wheel off the ground.
I'll check the wiring next, and the fuel flow.

I've not tried the hand choke method will give that a go aswell.

Thanks for the advice
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

salem1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

Nothing seemed to solve it. While the bike was running i checked the chain tension. Every time i gripped the chain tight it cut out?!

Left engine cover off, found a frayed wire that somehow touched the chain when it was tensioned. Must have been doing this when trying to ride it with load but not with the wheel free spinning.

Wire insulated..
Solved!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God for that!
Id forgot to ask you what happens if you bump start the bike, but think I was having trouble understanding or interpreting your exact description of the fault.

Common Internet problem when you can't see the issue or talk to the person with the problem.
Glad you sorted it though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it cut out in 2nd>?
Is it sudden like an electrical short, maybe a wire rubbing on the frame when your sat on it, or similar?

Well done stevo.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1