Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre speed ratings - stitched up by tyre fitters - WWYD?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Tyre speed ratings - stitched up by tyre fitters - WWYD? Reply with quote

This week I ordered two new tyres from www.tyre-shopper.co.uk for my Nissan Note 1.6 - I went for like-for-like and chose Continental PremiumContact 5's, at a cost of £134.60 (fitted). I got 'H' rated tyres, same as the existing ones, without giving it much thought - that was the speed rating identified by the site's reg-plate ID tool, and was the same rating as the old tyres. The new tyres were fitted today by a major national tyre fitters. When I got home I realised that what had actually been fitted were "T"-rated tyres (which I find means 118 mph max rather than 130 mph for the "H" rating).

As far as I can tell the vehicle's official max speed is 114 mph, so that shouldn't be a problem(?); however the tyre-shopper price for these is only £116.81, so I've been done to the tune of £17.79. The tyre-shopper invoice states H-rated, so I'm assuming that the fitter has decided to pull a fast one and had pocketed the difference (otherwise he'd surely have flagged the discrepancy?)

Obviously I could go back to the depot and demand the correct tyres are fitted; but I don't want the hassle of hanging around for that to be done, and assuming the T-rated tyres are safe and legal insurance-wise, frankly I'd rather have the the cash. Plus, I'd like this gobshite to get his come-uppance which won't happen if I just go back and demand he swaps the tyres (he seemed to be in charge at the depot).

WW BCF D? Whinge to tyre-shopper and/or one for trading standards?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Tyre speed ratings - stitched up by tyre fitters - WWYD? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

WW BCF D? Whinge to tyre-shopper and/or one for trading standards?

Contact who you bought them from in the 1st place....

Fitter is only a agent for Tyre-Shopper. TS Would only ask if you have tried to resolve anyway.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chin the tire retailer.
Tell them wot you told us.
Then LBA if not satisfied.

I use tyreleader for what it's worth. ALWAYS cheaper than anyone. Unless you have a mate in a bike shop. 😁

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:36 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to complain to whoever the contract is with. Who did YOU pay? Complain to them in the first instance. Explain in your letter what happened, why you're annoyed about it, what you want them to do about it and give them a reasonable time frame in which to reply.

If you paid by credit card, you could always get them involved if it's not going your way.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:34 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitter might have made a genuine mistake. It happens

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tyre fitter probably didn't check or hasn't even noticed that they are 'T' rated and not 'H' rated. Why not just go back and politely ask them and point out that they are not the tyres that you paid for?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up.

FYI I wasn't particularly concerned that I wouldn't get the problem sorted out, but originally I was firmly under the impression that the fitter had deliberately fitted the cheaper tyres - ie lower-rated but still fine for my vehicle - in order to trouser a few quid on the side. Hence my post, and why I didn't feel inclined just to go back and demand they fit the tyres that I'd ordered, as I thought that a bit of come-uppance was in order. (I have a very low forgiveness threshold for people who try to rip me off, see.)

Anyway. In the end I whinged to Tyre Shopper, telling them what had gone on and my suspicions. TL; DR, they told me that Continental had supplied incorrectly labelled tyres (really?) and that in fact I did need the 'H' rated tyres for my vehicle after all, and to go back and get them swapped, with a 10% refund for my trouble. Which is what I did.

So it does sound a genuine mistake. Fitter said that Nissan confirm my vehicle definitely needs 'H' and that using 'T' could have dropped me in the shit, legally if not physically, notwithstanding the car's maximum speed being slightly below the 'T' rating (118 mph). He said that 'T' tyres were normally used on vans etc, and that the ratings aren't just about maximum speed, it's also usage, load etc. Never heard that before, but anyway.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:44 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you still chin him as per BCF policy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Did you still chin him as per BCF policy?

Probably 'Tits and Garry' would be all that was necessary in this case.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:13 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Follow up.

FYI I wasn't particularly concerned that I wouldn't get the problem sorted out, but originally I was firmly under the impression that the fitter had deliberately fitted the cheaper tyres - ie lower-rated but still fine for my vehicle - in order to trouser a few quid on the side. Hence my post, and why I didn't feel inclined just to go back and demand they fit the tyres that I'd ordered, as I thought that a bit of come-uppance was in order. (I have a very low forgiveness threshold for people who try to rip me off, see.)

Anyway. In the end I whinged to Tyre Shopper, telling them what had gone on and my suspicions. TL; DR, they told me that Continental had supplied incorrectly labelled tyres (really?) and that in fact I did need the 'H' rated tyres for my vehicle after all, and to go back and get them swapped, with a 10% refund for my trouble. Which is what I did.

So it does sound a genuine mistake. Fitter said that Nissan confirm my vehicle definitely needs 'H' and that using 'T' could have dropped me in the shit, legally if not physically, notwithstanding the car's maximum speed being slightly below the 'T' rating (118 mph). He said that 'T' tyres were normally used on vans etc, and that the ratings aren't just about maximum speed, it's also usage, load etc. Never heard that before, but anyway.

Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Follow up.

Fair play for sorting it.

Personally I reckon by "incorrectly labelled tyres" they meant they'd received a load of T rated tyres that had H ID labels on them. They'd put them in the H location in their warehouse and a load had been sent out incorrectly. Tyre fitter wouldn't check as they probably only arrived with him that morning or the previous evening.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
....the ratings aren't just about maximum speed, it's also usage, load etc. Never heard that before, but anyway.

He's right, the letter rating concerns load and speed. It's something you pay very close attention to when running tyres way past their usual speed rating, if you have any sense of self-preservation.

It stops stuff like this happening.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1