Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

If you need to kill foxes, shoot them.

This ^+1

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and who can say with certainty that shooting isn't as ineffective or as cruel as hunting with dogs or poisoning? A good clean kill or a slow death from a bad shot. I've not mentioned snares as they are just too cruel for inclusion.

First of all I ask why the need for killing of foxes, just how much stock do these small dogs take? I haven't got all the info but I'd be willing to wager that they take a lot less stock than the animals lost during transportation. Are people aware that chickens will not have food or water during transportation and abattoirs are not just down the road.

So ok, say I've got a 'fox problem' I set a humane trap and I visit that trap on a regular basis and when the fox is caught I shoot point blank.
That is a better death than the ones I listed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they’re not causing a problem don’t shoot them.
If someone is taking shots that they can’t Be absolutely 100% sure will kill first time, then they should have their gun taken away from them.

Last edited by pepperami on 10:18 - 20 Feb 2018; edited 2 times in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
First of all I ask why the need for killing of foxes

Well..... just ask Peter Day, 44, interviewed in today's Daily Wail

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this a regular thing...something the nation of 70 million people should be afraid of.

So ok,let's remove every predator..every raptor. I think somebody trod on a snake last year and also nearly died.

Perspective and sense go a long way to keep a 14wk old baby safe.

Yes a really horrible thing, a truly upsetting experience, but by their own admission they were aware of lots of foxes in the area and they left the doors open.

And Daily Mail so minus 5 points.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
First of all I ask why the need for killing of foxes, just how much stock do these small dogs take?

A fox will kill an entire henhouse, even if it can't eat it. I've seen it multiple times. The carnage cause to grouse nests, which are nothing more than scrapes in the dirt, is astonishing.

Howling Terror wrote:
Are people aware that chickens will not have food or water during transportation and abattoirs are not just down the road.

More aware than you are, having worked in a number of abbatoir's.

Howling Terror wrote:
So ok, say I've got a 'fox problem' I set a humane trap and I visit that trap on a regular basis and when the fox is caught I shoot point blank.That is a better death than the ones I listed.

The fox escapes as most humane traps are worthless, comes back, maybe with cubs, and nukes your entire henhouse. This painful realisation happened to a number of couples "playing" at being smallholders. One lost something like 60-70 birds before realising that the're a reason they're culled (Not exterminated wholesale).

If they're not bothering anyone, no-one gives a fuck about them, they have better things to do. It's only when they cause damage that they get culled.

I don't like the social aspect that coms with a traditional Hooray Henry "hunt". It's not an efficient way to deal with the problem. Please learn to disassociate the two. Anyone competant with firearms can, and will, dispatch the fox in short order. They don't really *want* to, it's a PITA, but needs must.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxes are not the problem. It's mans encroachment on their natural habitat which is the problem. I admire how foxes have become urbanised, survival instincts and all that. We have loads in MK incuding a family who live on a roundabout and are well known, fat and seemingly very happy with their lot.

My daughter, being horse mad, used to ride with a hunt just for the fun of riding. I didn't try to stop her (she was 13 when she started riding with them) even though I don't agree with it. There seemed to be two groups who rode with the hunt, the ones that went along for the riding and the ones who thought it was their right to chase little animals for fun because they were something special Rolling Eyes

She stopped riding with them when she actually saw a kill, which was ages. It wasn't a very successful hunt Laughing

I just think the 'control' reason is an excuse. We don't allow hare coursing and there is no call to reinstate that. Why? because it was a sport for working men in flat caps, not hooray henrys.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the fox will not just kill 1 animal when it has a chance to kill many and the reason there are many is because somebody has chosen to put all that food in 1 box...and if that 'box' is unsecured then like a dog burying a bone, a wolf hiding a part of carcass the fox will make hay whilst the sun shines, it will given the opportunity return and take carcasses away. Barns that have no place for hens to roost...well that's making it easier for the fox. Purposely not mentioning battery units as they are macabre places to keep an animal.

As for grouse nesting on the ground, that suggests to me that naturally they are a 'risk it for a biscuit' species more than most, and that ground dwelling predictors are not prevalent. I am no expert but suspect many of these nests would be better off above ground(Darwin you dude) or in places of isolation and I also suggest people stop breeding them so they can shoot them in large numbers, many of which will go to waste.

You worked in abattoirs, I paid different types of abattoirs many visits. I've seen the good (very little) and the bad.

I'd like to make the point that I have no beef (sorry can't pass by a bad pun) with meat/farming/animal control. We are at the very top and having the nowse to feed ourselves when times are tough and having the brain capacity to stay alive when predators that can either outnumber or out run us has allowed us a massive privilege.

I don't give a flying 1 that humane fox traps are not very effective, they have a use and they are better than a bad shot. Like how many farmers will pay for a marksman who has spent years honing their skills....err none of the farms I frequent and it's a part of my job to frequent these places. They go out and make their best attempt often with the wrong type of ballistic.

I kept chickens for nearly a decade and we never lost 1 to a fox and y'know what if we had, I'd be upset and angry but it's not like we would have starved.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
First of all I ask why the need for killing of foxes

Well..... just ask Peter Day, 44, interviewed in today's Daily Wail

Hmmm... I wonder if they have a dog?

Elsewhere, if the wit of man (if he can be arsed) can't fox-proof a chicken house I despair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:50 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Hit a Routemaster bus in London once, didn't fall off.

I hit a 2 month old S class Mercedes Benz, which decided that stop lines did not apply to it, totalled driver's side front wing, the bonnet were I rolled over it, lower valance, all in all about 10 grands worth of work.....

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:57 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
So whats the biggest thing you have hit and managed to stay upright?

secretagentmole wrote:

I hit a 2 month old S class Mercedes Benz, which decided that stop lines did not apply to it, totalled driver's side front wing, the bonnet were I rolled over it, lower valance, all in all about 10 grands worth of work.....

You did all that and stayed upright? Kudos
Razz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:32 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It wasn't a very successful hunt Laughing

None of them are. Laughing

Urban foxes aren't a result of us driving them out the countryside, it's simple because of how much discarded takeaway there is around for them to munch on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3