Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding on forestry commission woods?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:04 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Riding on forestry commission woods? Reply with quote

is it a stupid idea? theres a forestry commission wood located near me, it has a public bridleway which runs along the side. it has huge mountain bike jumps and banked corners which are stupidly good fun to ride on.

the actual wood itself doesnt have any signs other than "forestry commission-Little wold plantation" and there are multiple ways of getting on site other than the bridleway, one if which is on a public road.

I went down at around 3:00pm on Saturday as there were few people left in the woods, none of which seemed to care that i was there. there was a guy on a Ktm who i thought disappeared into the woods but i wasnt sure.

I assume im not allowed to ride there but as there are no signs other than the forest name, could i just plead ignorance if anybody confronts me? Anybody else been riding in similar woods?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:08 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be something about access on the signs but you already know what the answer is.

"I went down at around 3:00pm on Saturday as there were few people left in the woods, none of which seemed to care that i was there. there was a guy on a Ktm who i thought disappeared into the woods but i wasnt sure."

Your could ask that on a dogging forum in the newbies section. Laughing

No you can't ride on land which has no appropriate rights of way on it. Mountain bikers will not be too happy about the damage you'll be doing to their berms and jumps.

Find a better place to play.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

*It depends* - they have taken to putting up increasingly strident signs and warnings of CCTV (implausible and number plates get ever so muddy).
In North Yorks a lot of the forest tracks are also the only access to isolated farms and houses, I often need to go visit relatives there, and search for lost sheep Whistle

They are desperately paranoid about insurance risks, I think that's a good part of the increased hostility.
There used to be forest drives where they encouraged motorised visitors, these have all been blocked off now with gates and bars ... which have gaps at both sides.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q : Can I ride my motorcycle on bridleways or footpaths ?

A :No you cannot ride on Footpaths or Bridleways. [click here] to see where you can ride your motorcycle

https://www.trf.org.uk/membership/benefits/56-frequently-asked-questions.html

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:53 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There will be something about access on the signs but you already know what the answer is.

"I went down at around 3:00pm on Saturday as there were few people left in the woods, none of which seemed to care that i was there. there was a guy on a Ktm who i thought disappeared into the woods but i wasnt sure."

Your could ask that on a dogging forum in the newbies section. Laughing

No you can't ride on land which has no appropriate rights of way on it. Mountain bikers will not be too happy about the damage you'll be doing to their berms and jumps.

Find a better place to play.

the sign is literally about A4 and has a logo and the name, thats it. also i just pulled the clutch and avoided the jumps at all costs. they shouldnt even be there as i read a document that stated they need to be removed asap as they arent allowed to be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:59 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
*It depends* - they have taken to putting up increasingly strident signs and warnings of CCTV (implausible and number plates get ever so muddy).
In North Yorks a lot of the forest tracks are also the only access to isolated farms and houses, I often need to go visit relatives there, and search for lost sheep Whistle

They are desperately paranoid about insurance risks, I think that's a good part of the increased hostility.
There used to be forest drives where they encouraged motorised visitors, these have all been blocked off now with gates and bars ... which have gaps at both sides.

hmm... the "sneck yate" byway in north Yorkshire is huge but apparently access has been restricted to peds/cyclists only However every map i can find, including the "Definitive public right of way" map from the council lists it as open to all traffic. I did read on a document from the early 2000's that the access to vehicles was proposed to be restricted but the maps havent been updated. Gmaps shows that there are big "no access to vehicles" signs at every crossing point so i guess its dead. its...on a 125... about 2 hours from where i live and it would be very annoying to travel up there and find its shut.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Quote:
Q : Can I ride my motorcycle on bridleways or footpaths ?

A :No you cannot ride on Footpaths or Bridleways. [click here] to see where you can ride your motorcycle

https://www.trf.org.uk/membership/benefits/56-frequently-asked-questions.html
-

Quick question, is the TRF worth it? was looking around the site last night. i dont have £45 to spend on it yet but are the perks worth paying up for?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:08 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
the sign is literally about A4 and has a logo and the name, thats it.

There will be bigger signs with more details on but you can't go riding around forestry commision land on your motorbike.

If restrictions have been placed on BOATs (byways open to all traffic) then that information will be available on the council website.

If Google Maps shows big "no access to vehicles" signs then I think the situation is quite clear. Wink

The easy thing for you to do is post a link to the area in question so we can see what rights of way there are.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quick question, is the TRF worth it? was looking around the site last night. i dont have £45 to spend on it yet but are the perks worth paying up for?

As a member, and officer in local branch, I say yes. But you'll only get out of it what you put into it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

If Google Maps shows big "no access to vehicles" signs then I think the situation is quite clear. Wink

Yes, I agree.

However, the signs are sometimes wrong. With a bit of back and forth, I've had one no motorcycles sign removed by my local council, and am currently chasing Northants CC over another one.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Ste wrote:

Yes, I agree.

However, the signs are sometimes wrong. With a bit of back and forth, I've had one no motorcycles sign removed by my local council, and am currently chasing Northants CC over another one.

thats what i thought but the "definitive public right of way" map on the council site says its open to traffic still.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:40 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
adengtg wrote:
the sign is literally about A4 and has a logo and the name, thats it.

There will be bigger signs with more details on but you can't go riding around forestry commision land on your motorbike.

If restrictions have been placed on BOATs (byways open to all traffic) then that information will be available on the council website.

The easy thing for you to do is post a link to the area in question so we can see what rights of way there are.

here, its shown as a road by gmaps

Hambleton road/Cleveland way

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2882817,-1.2211726,15z?hl=en

https://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/analyst/?mapcfg=Out_and_About

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Ordnance Survey certainly shows it as a BOAT

https://binged.it/2C7hFBh

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:08 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2940221,-1.2262371,2a,15y,219.14h,87.63t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sY34RMadKt5EjlutTh8jSMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i51?hl=en

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2940221,-1.2262371,2a,15y,219.14h,87.63t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sY34RMadKt5EjlutTh8jSMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i51?hl=en

That could be using the access to Paradise Farm though, there can be a private right of access which doesn't make it open to all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:34 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Ste wrote:

That could be using the access to Paradise Farm though, there can be a private right of access which doesn't make it open to all.

there are multiple entry and exit points along it, you can skit the farm using a tarmac public road. paradise farm is a farm shop type of place so its open ot the public although rules may not apply to the byway.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:49 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

well then... thats looks promising

I will go for a recce as soon as i am able

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:30 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not you can use that access / side road track will depend on what the signs there say. Wink

The OS map that rpsmith79 linked to shows only the main track as being a byway but that's still just a boring farm track, there's no good offroading to be had there.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I've been on more exciting higways Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1