Giving anything up for lent?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I gave up smoking 20 years ago after being on 40-60 Marlboro reds a day. I just decided that day I'd stop and did. I had tried before many times without success so I think 99.9% is your frame of mind. I still could never have another fag as I'm sure I'd just start again.

Booze is difficult, much more. Its insidious how it gets hold of you and the only person who doesn't see it is you. I stopped drinking in the house because I was drinking alone when the missus had gone to bed and would think nothing of knocking back a bottle of plonk. Embarassed

I still drink when out. I don't think I have the willpower or actually want to give up completely as I like it but fair play to anyone who succeeds.

I actually found it easy to give up booze. My 'problem' started at my first posting in the RAF, when all us youngsters were experimenting with different drinks, and getting absolutely plastered all the time. Then I got posted to Germany, and it really got out of hand. Did some pretty stupid things, on one occasion leading to me getting charged, although how that's the worst I received, I'll never know.

But when I got posted back to the UK, I just stopped. It wasn't a conscious decision, and I could still go out for a couple of beers with mates once in a while, but I just didn't touch the heavy stuff anymore. It was like somebody threw a switch, and the desire to get ratted just wasn't there anymore. Never has been since. I don't touch a drop at home.

Smoking...well, that's another thing. Frame of mind is right, but also having other things to occupy your mind, which at present, I don't. I often think it must be easier for those with family around them all the time, but living alone, there's no outside pressure to quit.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Smoking...well, that's another thing. Frame of mind is right, but also having other things to occupy your mind, which at present, I don't. I often think it must be easier for those with family around them all the time, but living alone, there's no outside pressure to quit.

Probably true. My wife had given up and started to get the kids to nag me whenever I lit up in their presence.

I had very little financial inducement to give up at that time either. I was earning a good wedge and ciggys on the boat were £3.80p for a carton of 200 Dance! . I used to post them home if we ever came to UK!

What does a packet of fags cost now, £10? Frightening to think I would smoke £20 - £30 a day at todays prices. Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

What does a packet of fags cost now, £10? Frightening to think I would smoke £20 - £30 a day at todays prices. Shocked

I've been smoking roll-ups for years now, so it's not so bad. but yeah, it's an expense I could do without. Don't even really have the money for food and heating at the moment, and yet still I smoke Rolling Eyes Mind you, I probably smoke half what you were up to.

To quote The Stranglers, "something better change", and change soon! Laughing Fuck, lack of motivation...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up the gaspers shortly after they got to a fiver a packet in the shops
(being too mean to pay that much for them)

I'll pay almost a fiver for a donut* (in Shoreditch/Bermondsey) of today's money but not for a packet of fags back then Laughing

*okay so it was a cronut, FFS Rolling Eyes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving up driving.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm giving up driving.

That's wubbish. Do you start driving when the Bunnies come or is it more like Santa?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm giving up driving.

That's wubbish. Do you start driving when the Bunnies come or is it more like Santa?

Not quite occurred yet, another week or so till my date. Expecting 56 days

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:33 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a fun day out in Bath. Dance!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:30 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It will be a fun day out in Bath. Dance!

Mrs Bastard has agreed a small amount of funds for festivities afterwards. I have an excellent exam the next day so won't be going cray-cray

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:46 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Festivities will start when walking to the train station. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3