Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen Bikes/Peds In That London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Who's ready for another summer of hardly using the bike because thefts. *raises hand*.

Does that mean you're not riding now?? To be honest, you can go through life worrying about a whole myriad of potential fates, it's how you choose to deal them that matters. For example, you know that there is a correlation between smoking and lung cancer, to reduce your risk, don't smoke, or, think to hell with it, and deal with any consequences that occur.

Likewise, if you are that worried about losing your bike to theft, then, life's too short, remove the worry and sell the bike, or, live with the risk, stop worrying, and, if your bike is nicked, deal with the consequences.

A bit the same with winter riding, increased risk of corrosion and an off, frostbite, a complete dowsing, so, mitigate those risks leave the bike in the garage, as many do, and use either a car or public transport, or, deal with the consequences of winter riding as and when they occur, again, you can minimise the risk, by using acf50 etc..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Who's ready for another summer of hardly using the bike because thefts. *raises hand*.

I ride a rat. No-one with functioning eyeballs wants to nick it. I still need something on there to stop them pushing it away for shits and giggles, but it's not a desireable bike.

Maybe buy a shitter you don't care about for riding in/around London, and keep the nice one or rides out away from there?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Maybe buy a shitter you don't care about for riding in/around London, and keep the nice one or rides out away from there?

I don't live, nor ride in, London but dem yoofs across the U.K replicate what is mainly happening in London and thus create byklyf __ (the blank being various locations across the country).

At the risk of people taking my comment at face value, and thus too seriously, I simply meant that I don't object to not using the bike when I know yoofdem are in the area. Sunday's, for example, when one could go for a ride somewhere I simply can't be bothered because I know byklyf (in numbers of about 20, if not more) are going to be in the area.

I lug a 16 mm, 13 mm and a cheap disc lock around with me. If it happens, it happens.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I don't live, nor ride in, London but dem yoofs across the U.K replicate what is mainly happening in London and thus create byklyf

I live on an estate. Next to a decent size "sink" estate. Fuck not riding my bike because of some feral cocksockets whose mam should have swallowed.

If you show fear, they'll smell it, and take full advantage of it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I don't live, nor ride in, London but dem yoofs across the U.K replicate what is mainly happening in London and thus create byklyf __ (the blank being various locations across the country).

At the risk of people taking my comment at face value, and thus too seriously, I simply meant that I don't object to not using the bike when I know yoofdem are in the area. Sunday's, for example, when one could go for a ride somewhere I simply can't be bothered because I know byklyf (in numbers of about 20, if not more) are going to be in the area.

I lug a 16 mm, 13 mm and a cheap disc lock around with me. If it happens, it happens.

During 'the season' there's typically a group of 10+ youths hanging around when I return home, only during winter are they gone so that would probably be 9 months not riding Very Happy Think I said earlier in this topic about the perception of crime sometimes being worse than the reality.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Met' plod put a leaflet through the door about local muggings, telling people to look confident when they walk down the street Eh? Is there a way to look hard on a bike?

https://68.media.tumblr.com/93c00b13abdb3cf118ded29d9219ec2d/tumblr_or605xBVOO1vw2d29o1_540.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to "look hard". Just stop giving a fuck and worrying about it or you might as well drive a car and sit in traffic.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm blesssed/cursed with a perma-scowl. Same as my Dad. Spent my childhood wondering why he was so angry
all the time Laughing before my hormones kicked in and the eyebrows got bushier and I developed my own. I also have
a slightly sloping neanderthal forehead and dark full eyebrows which all really accentuate the scowl. I try to disguise it
to appear a little less hostile but I really have to try. If I'm returning stuff to a shop for a refund for example, it's handy
because I appear as if I might kick off at any moment with just the slightest of natural frowns like you may ordinarily
have in that scenario. "No problem sir here's your refund" Laughing

Over the years, net/net it's probably got me out of as much trouble as it's gotten me into. As I've gotten older
my eyesight has started to deteriorate so I screw my eyes up even more just to see stuff, making me look absolutely
furious. Laughing Had more than a few "oo you screwin at?" and just as many hands up "sorry mates" but in this
application it's probably of some benefit. My wife laughs about it all the time, she knows me better than anyone
and has spent 17 years looking at my mug. She can make out my micro expressions which are all overpowered by
the scowl to the casual observer. Laughing

Day to day examples -

"This food is delicious and you look beautiful this evening" = Scowl. Not handy!

"Short change me would you? Ya bastard!" =Scowl. Handy.

"Pleased to meet you." = Scowl. Not handy.

You catch my drift... Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying a lottery ticket.

NJD wrote:
Sunday's, for example, when one could go for a ride somewhere I simply can't be bothered because I know byklyf (in numbers of about 20, if not more) are going to be in the area.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/five-bikers-arrested-20-riders-14306718

Well, besides the poor grammar and unchecked before publishing parts of the article:

News wrote:
"With the assistance of the helicopter, they tracked the cyclists resulting in the arrests and the recovery of five motorbikes, four of which turned out to be stolen."

Figured it was a quiet Sunday. Well, beside the helicopter and sirens.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
You don't have to "look hard". Just stop giving a fuck and worrying about it or you might as well drive a car and sit in traffic.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

That's the bit I didn't get, I think people are being targeted based on what they're riding, which seems to be scooters and desirable bikes, rather than soft targets like conventional muggers (eg: grannies, kids, drunk people).

I agree yes regarding worrying about it, I knew someone who took cabs everywhere cos he was scared of being mugged, although it's worth taking sensible precautions like barrkel using an alternative route after his bike jacking.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:25 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset and Avon arrrest their eighth biketakerrr in a week.

Weird, it's almost like they haven't read Peel's 5th and 9th principles of policing, and have been shamed into taking temporary knee-jerk action that won't be sustained.

Off to the revolving door at the courthouse for a verdict of Boys Will Be Boys.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Somerset and Avon arrrest their eighth biketakerrr in a week

After watching this last night I'd say that it's more the blackmail aspect that attracted plods attention rather than another burnt out bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
After watching this last night

Any good? I saw an advert for it and thought hmm a corrupt copper...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/plantsvszombies/images/2/25/Nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160116014020

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Alright. Couldn't help but think the entire programme's been heavily vetted and thus a one sided opinion is shown. Saying that, though, couldn't help but wonder how, "It gave me pleasure when I arrested him." Seems like many plod's in programme took the high ground.

Dosey individual of whom lost all traces of common sense and senseless committed attempt blackmail. His internet history speaks for a lot in the programme.

Best bit was the increased sentence to prove a point they don't go soft on their own (TV's projected image not my opinion).

In other news couriers (Deliveroo) become a target for t-leafs (nothing new):

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/deliveroo-drivers-targeted-horrifying-attacks-14294875

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5416471/Inside-Britains-moped-gangs-use-acid-steal-phones.html

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5416471/Inside-Britains-moped-gangs-use-acid-steal-phones.html

She fits right in, to be honest.

Source makes me cringe inside, though.

I'd be interested to know what the real price for silence about identity was since she's now a a publicised confirmed associate of known criminals, idiot.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
M.C wrote:

Alright. Couldn't help but think the entire programme's been heavily vetted and thus a one sided opinion is shown. Saying that, though, couldn't help but wonder how, "It gave me pleasure when I arrested him." Seems like many plod's in programme took the high ground.

Dosey individual of whom lost all traces of common sense and senseless committed attempt blackmail. His internet history speaks for a lot in the programme.

Best bit was the increased sentence to prove a point they don't go soft on their own (TV's projected image not my opinion).

Ok I watched it, it was rather enjoyable. From what I can gather (not being a regular viewer), the officer in question was previously a part of the programme. The cynic in me says this is part of the popo's propaganda, lets give a shit about a sample of cases, and have the officers show 'natural' outrage in the office.

What I took from it was this was meant to be a competent, one of the good ones officer, who turned out to be incompetent (in the way he was caught), corrupt and a liar/borderline fantasist. Seeing him cry his eyes out was entertaining though Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:13 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrrnnnnn. 14 year old killed a 78 year old great-grandmother on a ropey offroader (him, not her), 3 years in Yoof, so out in 18 months. He won't even be old enough to ride a 125 legally when he gets out. Brick Wall

We simply have to kill them. Nothing else will stop them.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Police?Chavs?People attempting to use an incident to launch a think of the victim campaign to sell papers and introduce laws which aren't needed? Fine by me.

Skimming the article it looks as much a baaww about off roaders than 14 year tearaways.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Police?Chavs?People attempting to use an incident to launch a think of the victim campaign to sell papers and introduce laws which aren't needed?

People that annoy me. I'm available for an instant decision, day or night.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:41 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three down a few hundred to go..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/moped-thieves-jailed-after-being-filmed-threatening-innocent-bystanders-with-a-hammer-and-angle-a3785596.html

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:44 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I ride a rat. No-one with functioning eyeballs wants to nick it. I still need something on there to stop them pushing it away for shits and giggles, but it's not a desireable bike.

/\+1

I left one of my rats for 3 days with the keys in the ignition in one of the more renowned area's for motorcycle theft in Nottingham. No-one touched it, I reckon more people thought it was dumped already Razz
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:39 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

That's a bit more like it. I'd still prefer to cull them on the spot, Brazil stylee, but it's a start.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:49 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

12+ years for Derrryk, yay. Except it's not necessarily, because despite "the starting point for one of these offences [being] 12 years, [...] when I am dealing with six offences involving acid coupled with robberies it has to be more". Could be 13, less 1/3rd for the Didit it plea, under 9 years, out in 4 1/2. Let's see.

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:44 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shank69 wrote:
People have been suggesting lately manufacturers should in quality trackers before selling which I've always thought was stupid.
My theory is if a tracker came with a bike from factory most certainly there would be a limited number of places e.g 2/3 highly likely only 1 because it would be faster to produce and save more money.
Pick a bike any bike that thieves love. Speed Triple springs to mind. and say in 2018 manufacturer did this. If regular thieves successfully nicked even one and in time found the tracker- they now know the standard position of the tracker on every bloody speed triple which would mean ripping it out would be done in minutes before even leggings it with the bike even probably. Which defeats the whole fucking purpose. And what's worse lulls the owner into a false sense of security when it fact it's worse than no tracker since at least the doubt of tracker no tracker is there ( swear they stash a stolen bike for a few days and see if anyone turns up)
Agree, disagree?

I think if a tracker comes from the factory, then there is a set way of disabling it for that model that it won't take them long to figure out and exploit, whether they knew the location or not.

In my opinion, the best you can do is make it look less enticing and like it'd be too much hassle to move.

Even then, if they want it, it'll go - my ex's aunt had a thundercat and an R1 lifted through the roof of her garage, and into the back of a van at about 4am. They were chained together through a ground anchor, and both ahd disc locks. The only witness was a 70 something year old who was walking her dog.
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
12+ years for Derrryk, yay. Except it's not necessarily, because despite "the starting point for one of these offences [being] 12 years, [...] when I am dealing with six offences involving acid coupled with robberies it has to be more". Could be 13, less 1/3rd for the Didit it plea, under 9 years, out in 4 1/2. Let's see.

12+ years you say?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 26 of 36